1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Content Paradox

Discussion in 'General Business' started by jacobean, Apr 22, 2015.

Every internet marketing guru shouts content, content, content. Give your customers content and they shall come...

And I agree, content is vital for Google ratings.

But when I look over my online purchases over the last 6 months - in nearly all cases I bought from sites with minimal content.

Why? Well If I'm buying a new drill - I don't want 12 pages of content written on a particular type of drill - too little time to read it and too confusing. As a result, I click onto another page which has 1 page of content on a drill. That way the buying decision is less complex and easier.
    Same with a new bike I bought recently. On the short-list were two online retaillers. Retailler A had about 20 pages on his model of bike. Retailler B had 1 page. I went with Retailler B. Nice and simple. For me minimal websites win out every time.

But here I am every day writing out reams of content for my own sites (which do great in Google) but how much business am I losing to the minimalistic style websites?

How do I strike a balance between content vs simplicity?

jacobean, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  2. Nick PPC.BUZZ

Nick PPC.BUZZ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, tons of content does not always mean good content. I mean, one can copy-paste the whole internet to his website and it will not help him at all. You choose pages with well composed unique content and you choose right, that is not a paradox.

And one more thing. When you choose between two sites (as in your example) they probably both were found on the first page of Google response to your search. If that is case, then they both are well opimized and both have 'right' content (for search engines at least). So, content is important anyway.

Nick PPC.BUZZ, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  3. mairajassy

mairajassy Member

Best Answers:
    Well this very cool to have unique contents at your website to attract more resistors and reader ...

mairajassy, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  4. scott_r

scott_r Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A lot of long form content on the web is fluffy garbage that could easily be written in a paragraph. Writers stretch things out because they're paid by the word. Then again, quality long form content is rare and seen in very few places. PC hardware reviews sites come to mind--the kind who do in depth technical reviews of specialized hardware, not so much Tom's or Anadtech (though even they're sometimes pretty good).

scott_r, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  5. masterbusiness

masterbusiness Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes that's true. We have a saying that "Effective communication connects you with your customer".
    Yes simplicity is a plus in contents but there are a lot more things that makes a content interesting, one is adding trends on your contents that attracts audiences. We offer that kind of service in topcontentwriting.com adding not only trends but other spices that make your content more interesting. Visit us at topcontentwriting.com or email us at if you need such service. :D

masterbusiness, Apr 23, 2015 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Depending on what it is, of course, "originality" and "creativeness" is almost always assessed higher than content (even good content). There's no way around this.

qwikad.com, Apr 23, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. DocuMaker

DocuMaker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's what you need to ask: What do my visitors respond to?

What others recommend is pretty much moot, in this regard.

DocuMaker, Apr 23, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am always amused by people suggesting "content" as a way to make more money on the Internet. It is kind of like telling someone starting off in stock trading to "buy low and sell high." Meaningless.

What you really need is a unique value proposition that is pitched in a compelling manner. That might be one sentence or 10,000 words. Blindly putting up reams and reams of content is an exercise in insanity. You could put up 100,000 pages of content and never sell a single thing if your product, price, promotion or positioning (the 4P's of marketing) are bad.

jrbiz, Apr 24, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  9. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Funnily, a lot of people associate “content” from the axiom 'Content is King' with “written text”. That's a very narrow definition. In fact, “content” embraces anything and everything you're able to see on a website. And when it's about marketing your business, it's esp. the stuff visitors primarily view or want to view. That not only includes text, but also images, videos and whatever multimedia you've put up.
    On another note, writing protracted descriptions does not work every time. Take for example a website that sells laptops. You have to describe them as they are; not much can be changed. Most stores selling laptops state their specs. exactly as provided by the manufacturer. Yes, you can 'rephrase' them somewhat and make them more attractive or appealing, but the technical details must NEVER be altered.

Content Maestro, Apr 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You are absolutely correct and I take my statement above a step further and say that content (text, multimedia, whatever) for content's sake is a complete waste of time. It must be "compelling" content if it is going to convert to actual sales.

jrbiz, Apr 24, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  11. Xochitl Shatt

Xochitl Shatt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Don’t create content about just your lodge…create content about the things around your lodge…the region, the area, what to do, the possibilities are endless.

Xochitl Shatt, Apr 25, 2015 IP