1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this the Fall of Wikipedia in Google Search Results?

Discussion in 'Google' started by KylieSweet, Mar 31, 2015.

We all know that Wikipedia is the dominant in the search results these past few years and there is no question with that but these recent results in Google search many of you or most of the webmasters as well as the site's owner noticed the changes in the position of the search results and downfall was started from March 2014. Most of the queries and search results is no longer dominated by Wikipedia but with government page, huge organization site, then Wikipedia page and my website. The knowledge graph shows the continues downfall of Wikipedia in the results page and it really takes my attention for the behavior of Google in organic search. In terms of quality information its still Wikipedia but Google hit it for some reason. Hey Google is this an update or some refresh in the search results? :confused:

KylieSweet, Mar 31, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  2. HMB Shiraz

HMB Shiraz Member

Best Answers:
    No one (except Google) can answer for sure whether this was their intention. I can say for sure though that I've heard talks online (again, unofficial) about Wikipedia's rankings being too high and that Google was going to try to do something about that.

As for my thoughts on the matter, it's obviously good since it allows other webmasters and website owners to become dominant in their niches, rather than Wikipedia being the domineering force throughout (usually with an abundance of shallow/basic information).

HMB Shiraz, Apr 2, 2015 IP
  3. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it would be great if google had less results from wikipedia as there's too much of wiki... Most of the time it doesn't provide most relevant and accurate information and one should never use wikipedia during a research and use it as a point of reference as there're too many inaccuracies there.

praetserge, Apr 4, 2015 IP
  4. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm still seeing Wikipedia in the top results for some searches, but not as many. Remember when article sites used to appear at the top of the rankings, such as Associated Content?

Things change.

danasurvey, Apr 5, 2015 IP
  5. liquidone

liquidone Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so. Maybe they turned their juice down a little bit. But I doubt Google would want to get rid of a useful site like Wikipedia.

liquidone, Apr 5, 2015 IP
  6. rooturaj

rooturaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google is now in a better position to identify what kind of information is the user looking for. Google understands if you are looking for information regarding something, or looking for a service, or looking to buy something, wish to calculate something, find certain values and much more. So based on that understanding Google gives you refined results. The idea is to use all the data it has and present it as usable information.
    Wikipedia has lost no juice, neither has it been demoted. It is just that Google now understands your searches better.

rooturaj, Apr 10, 2015 IP
    danasurvey and praetserge like this.
  7. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well said, rooturaj, I have to say that I totally agree with you... I think google understand that even with all the links Wikipedia doesn't always provide the information we need and they are downgrading it even though they have lots of links.
    I know some services and people in general who post links to wikipedia in their posts as they believe that linking to them will improve the rankings of their own posts... and I strongly disagree with that.

praetserge, Apr 10, 2015 IP
  8. ravau

ravau Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's because google is going to present its own database of knowledge.. so why wikipedia needed in serps? ;)

ravau, Apr 10, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  9. danasurvey

Best Answers:

Who knows. Google is taking over everything else. ;)

danasurvey, Apr 16, 2015 IP
  10. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, that's interesting. I didn't notice that, but now I am aware.
    Anyway, I think even if wikipedia is not that much visible on SERP, Google is still at its best when returning results on SERP.
    As a regular user of Google search engine, I believe I am still satisfied with the results I get from it.

Patricia Ann Lee, Apr 16, 2015 IP
  11. 1SEOcom

1SEOcom Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I believe the knowledge graph will start to take over Wikipedia in the results, but Wikipedia is here to stay and dominate.

1SEOcom, Apr 17, 2015 IP
  12. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I don't know if Google even understands their own logic.

usasportstraining, Apr 20, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  13. joshuthomas

joshuthomas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    google should rather focus on taking down Yellow pages and such classified websites that offer no content value but stay on top, not once, but many times for the same keyword!

joshuthomas, Apr 21, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  14. danasurvey

Best Answers:
    Google's Logic = Making Money for Google

danasurvey, Apr 23, 2015 IP
  15. Autix

Autix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So true, don't even know if they understand their own logic.

Autix, Apr 25, 2015 IP
  16. jean shelton

jean shelton Banned

Best Answers:
    Hello,

If you want to study the topic you have to leave the google ( which only provides the snapshot of information ) For example, for movies, you probably want to read reviews and get ideas for related movies to watch.

Google is like dictionary and wikipedia is like well you know.

jean shelton, Jun 8, 2015 IP
  17. Focl

Focl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see most of results are still for wikipedia in google, in my country (local results) it same like (en) google

Focl, Jun 8, 2015 IP
  18. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    I still see Wikipedia on top, so probably it's just a random event. About the important of Wikipedia, I love it, so I can't tell you it's bad to have Wikipedia results. They are very useless. If you want to rank on same keywords, of course, it becomes a competitor.

danasurvey likes this.
  19. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    The last 3 times I visited them they had a "Support us" sign at the top of their site. I don't like any site (big or small) that constantly asks for support / donations. Just place some ads on your site - and, here you go, you're supported!

qwikad.com, Jun 8, 2015 IP