1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate Content Penalty

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by serialentre, Apr 21, 2015.

Hi all,

I have one development site and one live site. Both have the same content.

What is google's stance on Duplicate Content?

From what I read, there isn't any penalty, BUT in my case, I could end up having my development site being crawled by google and appearing in the results page. That is the last thing I want.

In this case, how can I circumvent the issue? Do I create a robots.txt file and do a User-agent: * Disallow: / ?

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    serialentre, Apr 21, 2015 IP
  2. DocuMaker

DocuMaker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, placing a robots.txt file in the root directory of your development site is the correct thing to do.

User-agent: * Disallow: / will indeed prevent Google from indexing the development site.

Simple!

DocuMaker, Apr 21, 2015 IP
  3. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Having the same content on both site is just like missing another opportunity to provide hub of information to the audience and for the search engine side your development site and the live site will miss the chance to show in the search results but providing the most trusted websites instead of your site.

KylieSweet, Apr 21, 2015 IP
  4. serialentre

serialentre Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean.

5. Richard Stevens

Richard Stevens Peon

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content is a huge topic in the search engine optimization (SEO) space; heck, we even have a category devoted to the topic. But should we worry about it? Google’s head of search spam, Matt Cutts, said he wouldn’t stress about it — that is, unless it is spammy duplicate content.

In a video posted today, Matt Cutts answers, “How does required duplicate content (terms and conditions, etc.) affect search?”

Matt Cutts said twice that you should not stress about it, in the worse non-spammy case, Google may just ignore the duplicate content. Matt said in the video, “I wouldn’t stress about this unless the content that you have duplicated is spammy or keyword stuffing.”

Google has said time and time again, duplicate content issues are rarely a penalty. It is more about Google knowing which page they should rank and which page they should not. Google doesn’t want to show the same content to searchers for the same query; they do like to diversify the results to their searchers.

Richard Stevens, Apr 21, 2015 IP
  6. serialentre

serialentre Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing this knowledge.

Yes, I have come across this as well. The SEO firm that managed my client's website said that it will hurt the SEO rankings, which I clearly know now is nonsense. It makes me very doubtful of their abilities.

You hit the nail on its head for me. As you mentioned, it is about Google knowing which page they should rank and which page they should not. I learnt that if my development site is indexed, then it might appear on the google search results, which is a definite no-no for me.

7. saqlain sial

saqlain sial Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    there is no restriction about copy paste and duplicate contents. as new goolge police
    http://viralsled.com

saqlain sial, Apr 21, 2015 IP
  8. Pillai.G

Pillai.G Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    When it comes to republishing your own content in another website which you own won't be an issue at all. It's just that you need to make sure put a small note at the end of the content that it has been republished from the original website. You can see even websites like Entrepreneur.com, Inc.com usually republish some high quality articles from other blogs with the permission from the blog owners. If Entrepreneur.com asks permission to re-publish your article you're definitely going to tell a "YES".

Hope it helps. :)

Pillai.G, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  9. Xochitl Shatt

Xochitl Shatt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    One of the easiest ways to determine if your duplicate content is going to hurt your site is by asking yourself why you want to duplicate the content. If your reasons have more to do with you, such as you want more eyes on the content, you want to get the content to display higher in search, or you want to manipulate search results then you shouldn't do it.

Xochitl Shatt, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  10. Pa8ricia

Pa8ricia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes duplicate content doesn't come with any penalty by google but do assure about two things:
    1) The website you want to promote put your content there first
    2) When you post the same content on your second website do mention the permission there

All the best!

Pa8ricia, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  11. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry if don't easily sink in. What i mean is if both sites has the same content Google will consider it as low quality sites and it will not penalize but it will miss the search results due to other competitor websites that are better than your sites.

KylieSweet, Apr 22, 2015 IP