1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback on my online portfolio?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by hannahc228, Apr 21, 2015.

I have created this on Wix, we have to create an online portfolio for a uni project to start us off in the real world as designers. Just wondering if this is ok, it isnt complete but what you think of the logos/colour schemes etc. http://hannahx08.wix.com/hannahjudith

Thanks!

hannahc228, Apr 21, 2015 IP
  2. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well the link you post is 404 not found. So it is not likely you are going to get many comments if there is nothing to see and evaluate. However it does not make much difference because if you are using WIX, then you are ot developing a site or doing any real desig. You are just using their tools to do a cookie cutter that is like thousands of other sites.

If you want to be a designer or developer, I suggest you learn the basics of the technologies instead of using tools that dictate limitations.

COBOLdinosaur, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What I'm seeing is typical of what I've come to expect from outright scam artist nube-predating nonsense like WIX; no, that's not a good thing.

But setting aside the garbage code, endless pointless scripttardery and complete lack of accessibility sleazy shortcuts like Wix vomits up and has the giant pair of brass to call a website, the problems run FAR deeper, and the rest of this is on you:

The utter lack of content of value on the main page with some goofy animated crap covering up a lack of actual content, illegible color contrasts between text and background, hard to read script webfonts, fixed metric fonts, and layout concepts that to be frank have no business on a website? well, let's just say it's obvious you went to college for graphics and design but conveniently skipped over usability.

Designing for the web if you are serious about it involves gaining some knowledge of accessibility, and it's pretty clear you've not been introduced to any of those concepts -- not your fault; someone (like the halfwits calling themselves "educators") blew a bunch of smoke up your backside. You DO seem to be a talented artist as the actual portfolio part of the site shows, but you need to reign in your artistic tendencies greatly if you're going to get into making websites that are useful to the people visiting them. The grey part of that striped background for example has insufficient contrast to the text making the already painful fixed metric fonts and goofy webfont even harder to read.

The same goes for application or even game design. Take this image from "unicorn utopia"
    http://static.wixstatic.com/media/b...ng_srz_p_600_335_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

The transparency to the background, use of light red on white, and a host of other things that might seem artsy and pretty are also pissing all over the usability. That text is likely illegible to 30% or more of the population and the math supports this.

There's a formula for doing this; rather than repost I'll just link to something I posted elsewhere:
    Looking for web design tips for 2015

Go to the "colour contrasts" section near the top of that post.

If we go through that picture and pull a Gaussian blur of a section of that background, we come up with:
    #B6D3B7, aka (182,211,183) which works out to a luma/Y of 199.

The light red of that paragraph once sub-pixel hinting is accounted for works out to:
    #FE399C, aka (254, 57, 156) which comes to a Y of 127.

The difference is 72 (out of 255), far short of the 128 minimum for full legibility.

Your site has the same flaws, you've got #2E2E2E (in a borderline illegible webfont mated to a fixed metric 14px) which should be a Y of 46, but thanks to subpixel hinting and the way most (non-apple) renderers handle glyphs it many characters are rendering as bright as Y128 or higher. Those gray stripes are #F3F3F3 for a Y of 243... so you are below the 50% minimum and far short of the 70% or so ideal that choice of font and font-size should be necessitating.

If you weren't taught that, then your education may have been slightly deficient when it comes to ACTUAL "Design" since REAL design isn't just about being pretty, it's also about being useful to people. That's the difference between "design" and "art". SADLY most people calling themselves designers aren't actually designers; they're ARTISTS and their lack of learning about accessibility is why I make that distinction.

Likely not your fault; most of the people teaching these days aren't qualified to be teaching jack **** when it comes to ACTUAL design.

That said, I suspect you've got some good artistic instincts, it's just if you're going to go for doing web content or game/application design, you need to up your game a bit when it comes to accessibility and usability.

deathshadow, Apr 22, 2015 IP