1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bitterly Cold This Morning...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As soon as your snow arrives here.:)

Content Maestro, Feb 21, 2015 IP
    mnb1 and jrbiz like this.
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ugh...while this overnight storm only brought 3-5 inches (hard to tell for sure because the freezing rain that followed compressed the snow), it was the toughest clean-out that I had this year. That's because the snow was so wet that my trustworthy snowblower would clog up regularly and have to be cleaned out and I also had to shovel a lot more, much heavier snow that the snowblower would normally handle. Tonight, the arctic deep freeze is supposed to hit us again and we will be looking at seriously cold temperatures again, so the wet snow and slush will freeze into an icy mess. I need some global warming and I need it fast. :)

Actually, I need it to come slow. if it warms up too fast, these mountains of snow will cause flooding everywhere...

jrbiz, Feb 22, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  3. mnb1

mnb1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In return will you drop ship some snow here? :)

mnb1, Feb 25, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and jrbiz like this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely! In fact, I have some really fresh snow that I just removed from my driveway and sidewalk about 1.5 hours ago! It will still be light and fluffy, so the shipping charges will be less than some of the wet snow that I had to deal with over the weekend.

On another note, the gas can that I filled up at the beginning of winter for running my snowblower with usually lasts me a couple of years per fill up. It is getting close to empty now because of the amount of snow and number of snowstorms we have gotten in the past month. I do not believe that I have ever burnt through so much fuel so fast in the 17 years I have lived in RI. Another milestone, I suppose. :)

jrbiz, Feb 25, 2015 IP
    mnb1 and Content Maestro like this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is snowing yet again. We are expecting another 4 - 8 inches overnight. In one month, we have had more snow than any other total winter snowfall since we moved here 17 years ago.

This morning, when I tried to open our "people door" in the garage, it was stuck. This can be a sign of the roof sagging from the weight of the snow and that could presage a roof collapse. There is a TON of snow on the roof, but I have not wanted to hire a snow removal professional to clear the snow off because I am afraid that the effort will damage my roof shingles which are fine right now, but getting really, really old. The roof on the garage and the roof on my house have a nice high pitch, so I am going with them holding up even under more snow. We also have some serious ice dams on the front gutters, but because we face south into the sun, I think that we will be okay when the melting starts as they likely will melt first.

jrbiz, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  6. choku

choku Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I live in Sicily...Palermo. Here today is quite hot, about 17 degrees. Blue sky and no clouds at all :)

choku, Mar 3, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is almost becoming surreal now and a lot of people in this area are dazed, annoyed, etc. It is supposed to snow again later today so it seems like we are having snow events every couple of days. I got this picture from someone in this area this morning.

Peanuts Snow.jpg

jrbiz, Mar 3, 2015 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You guys have really got beat up this year. Florida is a bit too hot, so when you retire, I'd suggest moving to N Carolina. My wife's sister lives there and, if anything, they seem to be enjoying the seasons there.

Hold on, Spring is just around the corner.

qwikad.com, Mar 3, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's funny that you mention the NC area. I have family that moved there from New England and they really like it, too. I still have a 13-year-old I need to get through school/college, but I sure would like to move further south a la NC in ten years. What I have seen, however, in folks a bit older than me is that they may have plans to move once the kids grow up but then decide that they cannot leave their children, grandchildren, etc. We shall see... :)

Spring may be on the way, but we are getting more snow tonight and another storm is predicted for Thursday. The deluge continues.

jrbiz, Mar 3, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and qwikad.com like this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, Spring has officially arrived and the temp hit 72F/22C which, while unseasonably warm for April, is a sign that the serious cold is long gone, so this thread is about to wrap up. However, yesterday morning, as I began to open windows in the house to air it out, a small breeze was blowing through and I commented to my wife that "it smells like Spring/Summer!"

In the cold of winter, there is little smell in the air here in the 'burbs. It is an antiseptic smell devoid of life (unless something is specifically polluting it) except for a occasional smell of wood burning from a fireplace. But, once winter and the frozen cold is over, plant life takes over. The grass, flowers, various plants, and trees begin to dominate the smell in the air and you know that the bitterly cold winter is over. Woo Hoo! :D

jrbiz, Apr 19, 2015 IP
    Page3 and Content Maestro like this.
  11. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    We still have snow here, but not a lot. Four days of snow in the 10 day forecast though. Unfortunately, winter is not over yet :( We had a couple nice days as well, thankfully.

Page3, Apr 19, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.