1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is OpenVPN what I think it is?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by faizzsheikh, Apr 7, 2015.

One of my friend suggested me to use OpenVPN in order to browse internet as a United States user remotely, since I am from India.

Usually for what purpose does people uses OpenVPN?
    What are other methods to browse internet remotely as a United States user?

I am into digital marketing, I work for clients from US and want to perform tasks as a US user while working on clients website for seo, ppc etc.

faizzsheikh, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  2. TheSHosting

TheSHosting Member

Best Answers:
    OpenVPN is just an application to implement Virtual Private Network ( VPN ). You can read more about VPN here

Just to surf websites from a US IP address, you do not need OpenVPN but a proxy ( like SQUID ) also works and it will be easy to manage. You also have an option to use SSH tunneling, if you have basic knowledge to play with such stuff. Still solution based on VPN is still something you can try and I have configured it many times to route traffic through other countries. SSH tunneling is simple to configure compared to OpenVPN if you want to route all traffic; if you only want web traffic, a proxy like SQUID will work just fine.

TheSHosting, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  3. faizzsheikh

faizzsheikh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your answer... but I am a rookie to understand this network & vpn jargon's... I checked out SQUID but didn't understand anything about installing and using it. Openvpn was just click & install > connect & disconnect which was easy to understand. If there is better solution then Openvpn I would surely want to use that one instead, but will need spoon feeding.

faizzsheikh, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  4. Blesta.Store

Blesta.Store Active Member

Best Answers:
    OpenVPN is amazing and there's not really a better option unless you want to pay a monthly fee for a VPN access where you get a log in and you connect to it like connecting to a wifi network.

Blesta.Store, Apr 21, 2015 IP
  5. scott_r

scott_r Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you feel like getting your hands dirty with technical stuff, get a VPS in the US and set up the open VPN server yourself. It really is a pain though, and there are plenty of good VPN services based in North America. Be careful though, there are a lot of fly-by-night VPN companies out there. Check out reddit or lifehacker for recommendations. You should be able to get something in the 5 to 10 dollar a month range whichever option you take--but if you set one up yourself you'll likely get a lot more bandwidth per dollar.

scott_r, Apr 22, 2015 IP