1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHP Frameworks

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Gatsbe, Apr 5, 2015.

Hello,

What's the best PHP framework?

codeigniter, cake, laravel, zend, yii?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Gatsbe, Apr 5, 2015 IP
  2. Mrtvac

Mrtvac Member

Best Answers:
    This question couldn't not be objectively answered. It's very subjective. From person to person. And also depends on what you're looking for. Some is better because have more functionality while another is better in speed.

By my expirience, and I've been using CodeIgniter, Laravel and Yii, I would say that my vote goes to Laravel. Easy of use and powerful.

Regards.

Mrtvac, Apr 6, 2015 IP
    ThePHPMaster and Gatsbe like this.
  3. CodeBeast

CodeBeast Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Mrtvac.
    I am not using any framework, but I have played a bit around with phalcon and it kinda rocks.

CodeBeast, Apr 8, 2015 IP
  4. Dominic Ceraso

Dominic Ceraso Member

Best Answers:
    I believe there are many really good frameworks that you could use for different situations, could you choose one partiuclrly to be considered 'the best'? I dont know. I personally like Fat Free Framework, Symfony2, CodeIgniter, and CakePHP

Dominic Ceraso, Apr 8, 2015 IP
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is no such thing as the BEST framework. There is a such thing as the worst frameworks to use those. All of those frameworks you have mentioned are great. They all have a strong community and following for support. They have been well tested by many users/developers. They are all also being supported by contributors. Personally I would use Laravel or Zend. Laravel because the code you write makes sense and is easy to use. Zend because of the stability and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. My choice is Laravel.

You can try all of them but you ar enever going to benefit from any of them until you really learn the ins and outs of using them. To save yourself time look at some example source codes and just pick a framework and master it. I recommend you to use Laravel. It's the hot framework right now and the code is nice compared to the others.

NetStar, Apr 8, 2015 IP
  6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The strength of Phalcon is it's not written in PHP. It's written in C and is super fast. The weakness of Phalcon is it's not written in PHP. It's written in C. If I'm writing my application in PHP I need the framework library written in the same language so 1. I know what's going on and 2. it becomes part of my application and 3. it is easy to extend.

NetStar, Apr 8, 2015 IP
  7. Gatsbe

Gatsbe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some great insights here.

I have never even heard of "Phalcon" however...

I'm leaning towards Laravel however as my #1 choice.

Do you guys know of any weaknesses in Laravel?

Gatsbe, Apr 9, 2015 IP
  8. Mrtvac

Mrtvac Member

Best Answers:
    Yes :) If your project is rather small and you don't need many cool features then it could be little slower then other frameworks. For some small project which will not be updated regularly then Slim Framework would be maybe better solution - http://www.slimframework.com.

But for larger project where you'll be added new features regularly then Laravel will save you a lot of time. And your code will look really simple and readable.

Regards.

Mrtvac, Apr 10, 2015 IP
  9. webshore88

webshore88 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well symphony is a great framework and laravel is based on symphony. I am using laravel since last 1 year and I found it easy to use, flexible and feature rich. I would recommend you laravel..

webshore88, Apr 13, 2015 IP
  10. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest doing some searches here and other forums for recommendations of frameworks. This sort of blanket "which is better" question results in subjective answers, and usually leads to some unproductive visceral arguments. Bottom line is everyone has a favorite and even those of us who've used several, will typically recommend the one we are most comfortable with if for no other reason than familiarity.

jestep, Apr 13, 2015 IP
  11. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think that a sort of consencus is that Laravel is "better" than many others - it has a community that is working, it has quite a bit of support, and it's often considered one of the better frameworks out there (based on footprint and ease-of-use).

PoPSiCLe, Apr 13, 2015 IP
  12. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I don't think Laravel is *better* than the other major Frameworks. I think the code you write makes more sense and is easier to set up for a php framework. What makes it seem like it is better is the rapid growth within the community.

NetStar, Apr 13, 2015 IP
  13. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Depends a bit on what you consider to be major frameworks, I guess? Some of the popular ones are a bit outdated (cake? CodeIgniter? I don't remember which one). A vibrant community is quite vital when using a framework, though - it can be the best framework ever, but if the documentation and community is next to non-existent, you'll have trouble, especially on edge-cases.
    Mind, I haven't tried Laravel myself, I've just read a bit about it, and it seems to be fairly straight-forward and capable - I have no real need for it, but I might try using it for a new project, just to see if it does me any good.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 13, 2015 IP
  14. Mrtvac

Mrtvac Member

Best Answers:
    I've just found out that you don't need to use Slim Framework for light, small projects. There is even one better - light Laravel framework called Lumen. So yes, my vote still goes for Laravel. For small and big projects.

http://lumen.laravel.com

Regards.

Mrtvac, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  15. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting. I wonder if it really makes a difference once you start opcode caching...

NetStar, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  16. ezfile

ezfile Greenhorn Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Parts of Zend Frameworks such as Zend_HTTP are very very useful but other than that there is php framework to rule them all...

ezfile, Apr 20, 2015 IP
  17. Leela Narasimha

Leela Narasimha Member

Best Answers:
    For smaller projects and easy to maintain i personally prefer codeigniter as it is light weight and fast to develop.

For medium size and big size projects that involves lot of customization i prefer laravel. Laravel is really very easy and powerful to develop applications.

Leela Narasimha, May 4, 2015 IP
    Gatsbe likes this.
  18. _bastian

_bastian Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I used to use CodeIgniter heavily, dabbled in Yii, but switch to Laravel last year (they are kind of similar), now I am learning a new "CMF" called October CMS

My favourites are frameworks that promote rapid development

_bastian, May 11, 2015 IP