1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Promoting and getting submissions to a new directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by tasticskate, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I recently started a web directory and I'm trying to find people to fill it because it's basically empty. I myself can't start adding sites to it because alongside the directory my new site has 2 more services to manage and I don't want to get rid of them because I find potential in them. I managed to convince 2 businesses on facebook to add their sites to my directory and I have put the link to it in my signature in another forum. What other strategies can help to get submissions to a directory and promote it?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    tasticskate, Apr 4, 2015 IP
  2. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Most people aren't going to submit good quality sites to an empty directory, either free or for pay. I don't know any way around it. There are directories of directories sites around that list web directories, but are unlikely to list an empty directory, the problem being that, unless the directory owner has the time or the resources to seed his directory's categories, it's not going to go anywhere good.

3. usa666

usa666 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PLEASE private message me the link to your directory, as I don't see it posted. I'll take a look at it and maybe submit a few websites!

usa666, Apr 4, 2015 IP
  4. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's going to be hard because directories are a thing of the past. They're not useful for links or traffic. Even a link at a directory with thousands of listing isn't going to really benefit the site owners. Back in the day I would ask people "When's the last time you used a directory to find a website?". The answer was usually-they never used a directory to search. I've never used a directory to find a site either.

If you're interested in that kind of setup, I would recommend a review/citation site. Kind of like a directory but gives more options and very useful. For example: Yelp, Superpages, localpages, etc. With sites like these people list actual businesses with address, descriptions, hours of operation, payment methods accepted, email, reviews,pics and coupons.

kjh-08, Apr 4, 2015 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  5. tasticskate

tasticskate Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry but the directory is local(South-east Europe) and it's not even in english. Unless you can understand the local language, the link won't be much useful. But thanks for wanting to help fill it! :)

I've actually added some more features that not much local directories here have - Rating the added site and Comments (as this feature can be remade to be Reviews of the added site). The directory isn't the only service of my site but I plan to use the other two to get traffic to the directory. I really want to make the directory helpful for both the owners of the added sites and the regular users.

tasticskate, Apr 5, 2015 IP
  6. gkd_uk

gkd_uk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could join South-east Europe related business forums. Take part in discussions and offer businesses the option to submit to your directory for free. Don't just sign up and post your offer as they may class it as spamming :)

gkd_uk, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  7. tasticskate

tasticskate Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice! Do you mean as a forum signature or offering them the option directly, or both?

tasticskate, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  8. gkd_uk

gkd_uk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could do both

gkd_uk, Apr 9, 2015 IP
  9. Dario McNut

Dario McNut Member

Best Answers:
    You need to work on your campaign in the most effective way. Have you tried social media sites? They can be a helpful avenue for you.

Dario McNut, Apr 20, 2015 IP
  10. tasticskate

tasticskate Peon

Best Answers:
    I have tried promoting it on over 15 facebook groups for free ads becausethought that business owners who had sites could submit their sites to my directory. But unfortunately I got only around 3 submissions and 10-20 curious visitors who wanted to know what it was all about. My site has also a facebook page which I keep up to date.

tasticskate, Apr 21, 2015 IP
  11. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forum sites is one of the best medium to find your target audience and by interacting with the members you will find individuals interest and some recommendations from them that will give resources to find potential submissions to your web directory.

KylieSweet, Apr 21, 2015 IP
  12. Mehul B

Mehul B Member

Best Answers:
    Are you providing instant approval in your directory? I think this will work for you, as we know directory submissions takes time for approval or there is no guarantee of approval. Try to attract audience by giving instant approval in your directory.

Mehul B, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  13. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Submit the quality industrial websites or portals is a good approach to add value for your new web directory. It's built for human, not just search engine.

WallaceYeung, Feb 24, 2016 IP
  14. susanlowell

susanlowell Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hello..try www.tdarticles.com

susanlowell, Mar 26, 2016 IP
  15. Alexmathiou

Alexmathiou Peon

Best Answers:
    Being a new directory some are going to be reluctant to want to submit even if it is for free if you do not have many sites listed. Maybe speak to people who you know ask them to submit and help build up a good listing on your directory. Keep up with the advertising as plenty of advertising will lead to curiosity and possible submissions.

Alexmathiou, Apr 5, 2016 IP
  16. eric_wahlberg

eric_wahlberg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Nowadays niche directories are in demand, so you can do little bit changes in your directory and launch it with new look. I am sure it will get hits.

eric_wahlberg, Apr 21, 2016 IP
  17. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is the submission for free? If it is for free then no need to worry about submission, people will submit to your site.
    However directory submission is a bit irrelevant now. I'm not discouraging you though it is a fact.

Patricia Ann Lee, Apr 22, 2016 IP
  18. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you just need to hold out a little bit. I remember when I started my first directory a long time ago, it was a placeholder website until I knew what I wanted to do with my domain. The next thing I knew, it had blown up out of nowhere.
    If I remember correctly, all I did back then was post an announcement on here, as well as put a link into my signature. Somehow, it made its way to getting links from VM Options and other sites that linked to my directory.

Since you're more of a niche directory with a specific target market, you probably shouldn't expect traffic to just jump out of nowhere. Since you already have a target market, you need to work out where you're going to grab their attention. I know social media has already been suggested, but since you're looking at business owners, why not put some announcements on business related forums too.

Start shouting out about the benefits you'll be able to help them with. I remember back in the day my directory had quite an Alexa rank, so whenever I would promote it, I'd always mention that in my posts. Just be prepared to shout out about your directory. I know you say it's not in English etc, but hiding a link to your site is keeping traffic away. You never know who lurks in the forums and doesn't post back, you may even find some more of your target market.

You could submit your site to a directory of directories or find some sites that link to webmaster resources that meet your target market criteria. Just building a bit more of a presence for your site on other sites could give you a little more boost too. Though like you've said, you lack content. If you've got time to dedicate 5-10 minutes a day to your directory, you could always just add a few links a day to help keep boosting it over time. You're going to need to find that time to dedicate to it. What if you got a huge influx of links added, you're going to need to find time to review those, so you should be able to find time to manually add a few links a day to help fill out your site a bit.

Have you also considered adding an option on your site to translate your page? I know your primary language isn't English, but you could always offer an option to translate the page into different languages? The only pit fall is you'd get some English submissions on there too, but it's another option to boosting your target market. Could you give us some more information on the niche of your directory so we can give you some more detailed suggestions?

Grit., Apr 22, 2016 IP
  19. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    and then rename it "Spam Pit Directory"

:)

fastreplies

Right, if they know directory is exist, otherwise... any other smart ideas?

fastreplies

No tricks, hard day after day work to maintain it and as to how populate it,
    use some so called scrapper, program that go around Google or Bing and
    look for links related to your categories. Simple as that.

fastreplies

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2020
    fastreplies, Sep 5, 2016 IP
  20. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a fact huh? Wow thanks for the lowdown;)

LakeCountry, Sep 6, 2016 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.