1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Warnings For Fun

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by praetserge, Apr 1, 2015.

Got to Love DP... got a warning from DP for trading likes.
    I guess somebody needs to get glasses on and see why on earth would I need any likes from anybody... I used to buy here but there's nothing to buy here anymore.

praetserge, Apr 1, 2015 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Apr 1, 2015 IP
  3. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    POINT TAKEN.

But... I can actually show the PM where I said that I'd give it if he doesnt do anything dodgy or stupid.... but... good point and lesson learned.

Was trying to be friendly... but if you see my posts there (some of them are getting deleted)... I just try to be honest and practical there and here.

praetserge, Apr 1, 2015 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Truthfully, it's not about intent... simply the rules set in place because if we have to start analyzing intent of everything that "bends" the rules for 800k users and 20M posts, it becomes an impossible/daunting task.

Truthfully, I don't particularly love the 3 like thing for becoming an established member... but it was a less bad solution to keep spammers out of the marketplace. Maybe someday we'll have a better unit of measurement for someone being established... but for now, the 3 likes thing is better than the old way of simply 25 posts (we would get a zillion low-quality/pointless posts to fulfill the 25 post requirement). The new measurement is more about quality over quantity.

Anyway, yeah... that's why we have the rules related to people like trading/buying/selling/asking for likes. If we weren't using it as a "less bad" measurement of the quality of the user, it would be no big deal. :)

digitalpoint, Apr 1, 2015 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  5. praetserge

Best Answers:
    I agree, rules are there for a reason and in all fairness I don't want to see lots of spam and get spammy PM's.
    Even though I just tried to help somebody, I agree that we have to respect the rules (I was asked for likes on this forum before and I declined after they said that they needed it as a service on a regular basis - quite obvious they'd want it to spam).

The only reason I got a bit confused with the warning is because I saw that I was trading likes and I do not trade likes.

praetserge, Apr 2, 2015 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, it's worded a little weird because it's a generic one related to likes. If we didn't pare the possible warnings down to generic ones, we'd have a crazy list. I mean if you wanted to get super detailed with it, just for like related stuff, you could have "like buying", "like selling", "like trading", "begging for likes", "creating fake accounts to try to get likes", etc, etc... "Like Trading" was just the most generic is all. {shrug}

Like I said, not really trying to annoy users with it... and in reality it doesn't affect your account unless someone kept doing it after the warning. But yeah... we also need to keep some sort of controlled chaos with as many users as we have, otherwise you end up with nothing useful for anyone. :)

To give an example, this is what a forum looks like right now for mods/admins that can see deleted/spam stuff. So yeah, we were pretty much forced to enact rules to try and control it the best we can...
    [​IMG]

digitalpoint, Apr 2, 2015 IP
  7. praetserge

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm aware about the amount of spam... Actually, I used to have a small-ish forum but I had to give up on it as it was too time consuming to moderate all the spam so it wasn't worth my time.

praetserge, Apr 3, 2015 IP