1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need a recommendation on Shared host with good support, switching away from Hostgator

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by fixxi.net, Mar 10, 2015.

I need a new host as Hostgator have lost their game and are dropping the ball on user support, which used to be their strong side. They currently don't provide fast support with upgrade issues/application support issues on one of our wordpress installations.

Currently lookfing for a new PHP shared host.

Requirements:
    -Big company with 24 support ( Godaddy level / hostgator level ) .
    -Able to assist fast with application changes even for a small fee.

Basically I need to replace Hostgator which used to be the strongest support company around. Now it has become a mass-product supported by low-level grads, taking 12 days to resolve a simple support issue.

If you understand the question please advice ( if you have been in the hosting businesss for at least 10 years ). Please no suggestions of "indian" companies with "indian 24-hour support" offerings some of which are outright ridiculous not able to resolve simple php / magento /wordpress configuration issies. ( Sorry no offense to indians, which we respect tremendously, but many "indian" managed companies can be very particular to manage.

fixxi.net, Mar 10, 2015 IP
  2. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe it was you who posted the same thread in the WHT forums, right? ;)
    As mentioned there by some colleagues in the industry, I'd reconsider your idea of using another big name as you would probably face more or less the same problems as HostGator. Another thing advised there would be to refrain from companies that are under the EIG mother company (like HostGator) as they have a pretty bad reputation, especially post-acquisition.

All in all, my best advice would be to seek for a mid-sized reputable host with strong accent on customer service. This is still something that many companies neglect and lack, and some testing on their chat/phone will clearly show you the level of expertise you should expect. ;)

Plenty of good providers still out there, research and test, research and test ;)

Rado_ch, Mar 13, 2015 IP
    micksss likes this.
  3. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Speaking of mid-sized reputable hosting. Check out Rado_ch's company WebHostFace. They have a really good reputation. Just Googling them found reviews here and here. Look into them and definitely consider other options beyond the biggest companies. Do your homework and you will easily find a better setup than what you currently have.

micksss, Mar 13, 2015 IP
  4. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really thanks for the kind words @micksss and indeed me and my colleagues are always ready to clarify questions anyone might have about our services and their particular project. Nothing better than expanding our family :)

Rado_ch, Mar 14, 2015 IP
  5. CoreyPeerFly

CoreyPeerFly Notable Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I highly recommend taking a look at HawkHost for shared hosting.

CoreyPeerFly, Mar 14, 2015 IP
  6. enikram

enikram Active Member

Best Answers:
    I reccommend siteground for shared hosting. I've never seen customer service better than what they provide. It's 24/7 via phone or chat or email. Their csr are USA based! lol. That's rare already.
    Fast servers.
    Lots of great reviews online. The negative reviews are from people who don't want to pay their full rates.

enikram, Mar 16, 2015 IP
  7. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    gregdavidson, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  8. enikram

enikram Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yah, but he wants good support. Godaddy as well as Hostgator is only good for pre-sale support. Once you pay and have issues, don't expect much help. One of the hosting we used for a website was 1and1 and I would not recommend it ever if it's FREE. Support was non-existent. Support agents were clueless. Apart from"clear your cookies" and "we see no issues on our end" they were never able to help. Lots of lies too about up-time.

enikram, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  9. BrandDoctor

BrandDoctor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even I switched from Hostgator. Now I'm with A small orange hosting. They provide excellent service and support. Their chat is available 24 x 7 so most issues get fixed then and there.
    My blog is hosted on ASO and I am very much satisfied. Their prices are affordable as well. $5 per month is for the small plan but if you use a coupon you will get 43% off. Its valid till 22nd of March

BrandDoctor, Mar 19, 2015 IP
  10. TB Ann

TB Ann Banned

Best Answers:
    One of my site have been with FATCOW for almost a 10 years, this host is what i can suggest. Since its shared that you want, go with fatcow. They do giveaway promo code almost every month so check them from time to time so it may just cost about $45/year or less.

TB Ann, Mar 19, 2015 IP
  11. Michael Westergaard

Michael Westergaard Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Have you tried Hostinger? It is a good service, but there are also good support. Find your local hostinger here: http://www.hostinger.com/

Michael Westergaard, Mar 22, 2015 IP
  12. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have multiple sites hosted at different hosting companies both shared and on VPSs. This is my list of top 5 recommended for shared hosting (my criteria here is based on cost, site speed, support, downtime, stability of resource allocation, amount of spammy neighbors on the same IP). The lower the # (higher in the list) the better:
    1. Tsuki Hosting
    2. JustHost
    3. MDDHosting
    4. Hostabulous
    5. StableHost

In the past year I had problems with these 3 hosts, so I don't recommend these:
    1. GoDaddy
    2. TMDHosting
    3. Name.com

Once again, this is only based on my personal experience, I suggest checking forums like WebHostingTalk for more reviews before you sign up with any of these.

Jeffr2014, Mar 26, 2015 IP
  13. VideoWhisper.com

VideoWhisper.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Some of our clients also had trouble with Godaddy. In example trouble sending or receiving email.
    They block important emails and these can't even be found in spam folders. Popular free providers like Gmail don't block these so it's a provider issue.

Your should get a host with CPanel for easy self management. If you need custom host settings you should consider a VPS or dedicated server that can be easily configured from WHM.

VideoWhisper.com, Mar 26, 2015 IP
  14. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with GoDaddy emails is that their mail servers are overloaded and they send a lot of spam. They have 10K different domains sharing one IP address of outbound email server, so you are guaranteed to get spammers there and to have this server blacklisted from time to time. In my case it was happening from as often as once a month to as rare as once in 3 months. When it happens (and your email is sent to Hotmail/Outlook or Gmail accounts) your messages just disappear in thin air, you don't even get error responses. That's why I would never again use GoDaddy accounts for mail delivery.
    I cannot say that GoDaddy web hosting is bad though (if you don't care for email), due to their extensive network and well organized ISP network routing/switching setup they have very good site loading speed across the globe.

Jeffr2014, Mar 26, 2015 IP
  15. funtoosh

funtoosh Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can even try - http://serverssale.com/web-hosting.php they have some good hosting packages starting at just 2.99$ per month with unlimited bandwidth and disk space, i bought one hosting last month from them and so far no issues

funtoosh, Mar 26, 2015 IP
  16. [ET]Alexander

[ET]Alexander Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It boils down to one simple issue that customers leaving such a company as HostGator face, and that is leaving them and signing up with them again under a different brand name. I would personally recommend making sure whatever company it is that you do choose is not under the EIG umbrella, as you'll see the same issues company to company.

[ET]Alexander, Mar 29, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  17. onlinemarketplace

onlinemarketplace Member

Best Answers:
    Those from Temok.com provide fast technical support, 24/7 and all their packages include cpanel for easy self management. Worth your attention.

onlinemarketplace, Mar 31, 2015 IP
  18. Teodor

Teodor Banned

Best Answers:
    Think that you will not regret having looked at hostingsource.com cheap web hosting solutions.
    They are offering nice specials on vps (50% off) and dedicated servers (double ram, storage and bandwidth).

Teodor, Apr 1, 2015 IP
  19. XYZHosting

XYZHosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Be careful when choosing to not pick another "EIG" host. Hostgator, bluehost, etc are all the same company and your experience with them will be close to the same. Namecheap has good support and I have had a good experience with them

XYZHosting, Apr 2, 2015 IP
  20. GreenLionNet

GreenLionNet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very few companies provide SSD Shared Hosting at compatible price. You need to select among them and compare features.

GreenLionNet, Apr 13, 2015 IP