1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Laravel or Wordpress?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by MyFlipOff.com, Feb 18, 2015.

1. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The design of their homepage literally has nothing to do with their PHP framework. It says nothing about it. It does not have any thing to do with trust. That's just a strange way to rate their product. That's like hiring someone because of the suit they wore during the interview. If the suit is nice we automatically trust them because the quality of their work must be nice? In fact, with your theory of thought it's more like judging someone based on the undershirt they wore hidden under the suit.

Well that couldn't be right... You didn't notice broken links, dead images or anything visually incorrect or operationally flawed on the site. You had to go do in to their source code to see what they could have done differently based on your own preference or the "standard" as you may burp out.

Totally.....but their Search Engine presence is fine and they have one of the most popular frameworks for PHP.

Are we specifically talking about Laravel's homepage or are you generally speaking now? You keep flipping back and fourth and it's hard to follow your down syndrome rants. Does the Laravel web site have hundreds of CSS and JavaScript files??? If so, that sucks....but still doesn't say anything about their code framework.

NetStar, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It speaks to their skills, or more specifically the LACK therein. Right now there seems to be this halfwit notion going around that you can be a "back end developer" and not know anything about HTML or how to use it properly. This is disturbing as HELL when it comes to PHP since PHP is a Hypertext Preprocessor; it EXISTS to output HTML so if your HTML output is rubbish, then it's entirely likely the PHP driving it is rubbish.

That you don't seem to be grasping that is... disturbing. That's not a strange way to rate things at all; if they can't do that part how could you possibly trust that what's generating it is any good. If they aren't qualified to write HTML or style it, what the **** business do they have writing PHP?

Same as the SEO-tards who don't understand HTML, or the artsy fartsy types who spank it on the screen in Photoshop and then have the giant pair of donkey brass to call themselves "designers" when they don't know enough about HTML, CSS, emissive colourspace or accessibility minimums to design but two things.

They all interconnect, and if you aren't qualified to or cannot do one properly, you are likely unqualified to do the rest! again, PHP is a HYPERTEXT PREPROCESSOR so if you can't write HTML properly, you have no business writing PHP either. PERIOD. That we have people who ONLY do HTML, or ONLY draw goofy pictures, or ONLY do back end code is why so many websites are now useless trash.

... and why more than 2/3rds the sites I frequent I'm either stuck overriding their crap with user.js or user.css, or just flat out don't go there anymore. This trend continues another four or five years and I'll likely pull the plug and give up on VISITING websites as a user altogether!

Depends, are you hiring a fashion designer?

I don't see how you're not getting that. If they can't do even the simplest of things (like output markup) properly, how can they be trusted to code something who's sole job and reason for existing in the first place is to glue together markup? That's about as freaking common sense as you can get.

Though admittedly, common sense is so rare right now, well... deadpool is right.
    [​IMG]

Apart from the fixed metric fonts, illegible colour contrasts, pathetically broken attempt at being responsive, lack of graceful degradation so I had to re-enable scripting for the most basic of things that shouldn't need scripting, had no sensible heading navigation... None of which has anything to do with the code apart from said code being shit which is why the front-end is shit as it's ALL interconnected.

Though you seem to keep glossing right past that too.

I think you either missed the sarcasm or quoted the wrong part...

Both, as it's the broken philosophy and "bleeding edge of 1997 style thinking" that's pissing on the past decade and half of progress things like Laravel, turdpress, bootcrap, HTML 5 and all the other bekaptah nonsense that is making it so that a 45mbps connection pretty much 2/3rds of websites are less useful than they were a decade and a half ago on dialup.

It speaks volumes of what they are qualified to do, or more specifically what they are not.

Though one look at their "objects for everything" shoe-horning MVC into a language not designed for it MORE than says what utter and complete nonsense their code framework is; supporting the conclusions what sites vomited up using it give... just like every other sleazy nube-predating scam out there.

I swear, MVC in PHP makes me want to line computer science educators up against a IFV "Red Dawn" style. Idiotic halfwit dumbass ignorant BULLSHIT like this is why I've got little more left for the current direction of the web development industry as a whole than a double-bird; one for the developers, and one for the source they code in on.

deathshadow, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  3. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It may speak to the skill of their web designer in web design but not in the programming of their PHP framework. But it's irrelevant since you only pointed out things they did that you wouldn't in regards to taste.

Just because they use fonts and you wouldn't on their homepage doesn't mean they are crap programmers when it comes to their PHP framework.

Are we talking about Laravel's homepage still or are you on a non-relative general rant again? Are you really that stressed?

There are things you do incorrectly on your homepage. But that doesn't mean you are a terrible Pascal programmer.

I didn't have a bad experience viewing their web site. And if they sacrificed coding standards to be pretty or artsy fartsy (as you call it) who cares! It's not a negative reflection on the PHP framework they offer.

A lot of times we get hung up on compliance and "standards" when it comes to presentation code. Though a web site may choose to use Jquery or CSS to do things that you would consider "bloated unnecessary crap" that doesn't mean their scripting didn't serve their purpose or that their web site isn't "compliant". And just because their web site doesn't view 100% in every browser at every resolution doesn't mean they failed at a responsive web site. Again...your web site isn't the most friendly on all platforms and sizes too....but you don't strike me as a SHIT programmer.

But maybe you are....

The internet sucked ass in 1997. The viewer experience sucked ass. I bet if you were in charge of the progression of web development all we would need is headlines, paragraphs, links, and bullet lists. Maybe you would go all nuts and let us use a marquee.

You really are dimwitted. You are actually sounding idiotic. An MVC for PHP may not be in the truest sense a legitimate MVC but it provides a convenient pattern for programmers and absolutely stops you from spending a lot of time coming up with an untested design pattern that ALREADY exists and is well tested. Personally I spend more time on writing code that someone already wrote than focusing on the project I need to make...

NetStar, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  4. nuruzzaman24

nuruzzaman24 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello, I am looking to have a website developed and I am not sure which route should I take. I am not a developer so my knowledge on this topic is non-existent. I have been told the functionality I need can be achieved with both. While in wordperss it will be cheaper and faster to develop, with laravel it will be done properly rather then slapped together with various plugins. Any insight on this from someone knowledgable? Website I am going for has a similar functionality to teespring.com
    Thank you[/QUOTE]

nuruzzaman24, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Sweet Joe H ***** *****ing Pesci, Not to go all medieval on yer tuchas Samuel L. Jackson style; but "Ácweðan hwá ágéncuman! Ácweðan hwá ágéncuman! Ic néðe þú, Ic twifealde néðe þú! Englisc, modor-wyrter! Gedon eow cweþan hit!?!" (and yes that was English, just a few CENTURIES out of date)

Oh yes, because meeting accessibility minimums and following things like the WCAG is a matter of "taste" -- is English your second language or are you REALLY that ignorant of what accessibility is, what it means, and how it impacts user experience. Must be wonderful to be in that magical perfect combination of eyesight, hardware and functionality that lets you basically be the developer equivalent of Indiana and Oklahoma legislation.

Seriously, you didn't understand a word I was saying did you?

Industry as a whole including it I THINK, but it's hard to tell what you are referring to when I'm starting to wonder if you are being deliberately obtuse on this, or honestly just don't get the simplest of literary concepts like similies. (Your broken attempt at one supporting said conclusion.) Though since I keep saying "Just like every other" at the start of the sections you seem to be getting confused with, I highly question your comprehension. I admit I do have a rather archaic sentence structure, but are you one of these TLDR twitter generation nutters or something?

Really? Care to elaborate as I'd actually LOVE to hear some feedback -- since I tried to hit the right marks in graceful degradation, and actually bothered checking for legible colour contrasts "by the math", much less built it as semi-fluid elastic responsive design. You know, those things I keep mentioning that you seem utterly and completely unaware of or fail to grasp the meaning of.

Though that garbage lightbox-type script I wrote for a friend and tossed on there "because I could" is probably getting the axe, it wasn't written to be mobile friendly though I may simply have it nebfer itself at smaller resolutions and just open the image.

Nor would it, one generally does not use Pascal to output HTML. PHP's JOB is to output HTML. If you can't make even that simple corellation, I am hardly surprised you have such massive ignorance of just how bad something like Laravel ***'s the developer, ***'s the client, and usually with those two screwed visitors to the websites built with them are next in line.

Well whoopedy-farking doo for you. Me I had to dive for the zoom, override the colours with an accessibility sheet, and wait with my thumb up my ass for it to load -- and STILL everything is so spread out due to artsy fartsy overuse of whitespace it would be a miracle for users in a similar boat who don't know about using user.css to give up and walk away.

And if they sacrificed coding standards to be pretty or artsy fartsy (as you call it) who cares! It's not a negative reflection on the PHP framework they offer.

Do you have an example of it failing? Seriously? PRETTY sure I got it right. If not I WOULD like to hear it! Given that it's dynamic fonts, semi-fluid elastic layout, with media queries and graceful degradation the only places I could picture it failing is older windows mobile devices still using IE6. (basically any windows CE/Mobile handheld older than 2009)... and even then it should be functional... Well, that or iPhone 4 / later, which I didn't bother optimizing the header for since it 'works' even if it is ugly. I should probably get on that, problem is fixing it for them breaks it for pretty much every android device -- which is probably why sites built with bootcrap looks great on iOS and looks like crap on every Android device I own. I swear it's the worst of IE6 vs. FF all over again. Same dance just a different tune. LOVE how crApple insists on basically ignoring the specifications for making websites mobile and override style the same way IE and FF pissed all over being able to print things a decade and some change ago.

Wait, is iOS ignoring my media queries?!? Ok, I DO need to look into that. So much for testing with Chrome's compatibiltiy view. Thanks actually - ***ing Apple. They're worse than M$ most of the time.

Given that a lot of the shit people are doing with scripting IS the steaming pile of manure known as marquee -- if we're going to mimic the W3C's current attitude of "Screw accessibility and efficeincy, go ahead and sleaze it out any old way" MARQUEE would be the LEAST of the worries.

... and all you SHOULD need IS the semantic tags present in HTML 4 mated to neutral containers when and only when needed -- in the markup. That means headings (not "headlines"), paragraphs, lists, etc... That doesn't mean I'm not in favor of making it pretty with CSS or progressively enhancing it with scripting; just don't piss all over the place with it and throw out those very basic concepts that provide graceful degradation along the way. Semantic markup progressively enhanced --- sadly the current trend of pissing out PSD's or worrying about appearance before you even have the accessible base is making it so that if I weren't tied to the Internet for certain content, I'd have ripped the plug out of the wall and said **** websites as a USER about two or three years ago.

Sadly I'm having the same reaction to your posts -- It simply seems that we are far more than worlds apart on this subject; Again it's like someone working in evolutionary science talking to a creationist -- It's unlikely we'd ever see eye-to-eye on things. You seem to be in that perfect magical fantasyland where the bad design choices that **** users like myself and ****'s users with actual accessibility issues even more work perfectly fine for YOU. How wonderful for you. Too bad if you are making websites, that's NOT your only target audience which is why things like the WCAG and other accessibility concepts exist.

Huh? I think you are missing some words there or that's not what you meant to say... since focusing on the project you need to make should be where you are spending your time, otherwise what's the point?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    deathshadow, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I had to stop reading your responses. All that bullshit and non-sense just to disagree and prove your opinion of someones choice of CSS on their homepage is a clear indication of their skill of PHP? C'mon...you are a clown.

I actually read on your own web site where you stated you are out of work due to doctors orders relating to stress and depression. It's apparent you have issues so I will leave it at that. My god.....my.....god.

In closing... deathshadow, I think some of your views on programming are spot on. But I think 70% of the crap that spews out of your aspergers mouth is either absurd, incorrect or a matter of your own personal opinion and nothing more or less.

I would love to take you out for a drink... get you drunk.. find you a whore and let you relieve your stress that way. Because digitalpoint is def corrupted by your idiocy.

NetStar, Mar 31, 2015 IP
  7. Emily White

Emily White Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for tell me about this "Larevel"

Emily White, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  8. Itera Research

Itera Research Peon

Best Answers:
    Content management systems are all over the web these days. So much so thatit’s often hard for the time-pressed entrepreneur to choose between them. Here we review three of the top picks to see who will come out with the crown.

WordPress: more than just a blog
    Starting way back in 2003, and used purely for blogging purposes, WordPress has come a long way over the past nearly dozen years. These days it’s much more than just a blogging system, it’s used for everything from selling sneakers to searching for soul-mates.

WordPress is probably the most well developed CMS out there today with the biggest community. Because of this, there are literally thousands and thousands of widgets, plugins and themes to choose from already. You can create a whole, fully-functioning website without having to know a single bit of code.

On the other hand, there is an unlimited scope to sorting out your own code, though to create one from scratch takes a bit of getting used to and you’ll need to know some fairly advanced PHP.

Magento: enterprise in an eggcup
    Magento meanwhile, is designed with ecommerce in mind. A relative newcomer to the CMS scene incorporated in 2008. This system is especially popular in the fashion world and is trusted by some leading brands.

While you’ll lack the sheer diversity you can find in WordPress, Magento markets itself by usability: this it has in bundles. Easy to use. Easy to build. Easy to change. Most of all, easy to build your sales and concentrate on selling your item instead of agonizing over widgets.

It offers some fantastic options and the CMS really is designed with your customer in mind. Fully responsive website designs, without the faffing about behind the scenes that get your product from production to presentation with the ultimate ease.

However, what you get in ease of use you lack in customization. This is the WYSIWYG of CMS and while it works for some it doesn’t work for all.

Drupal: granddad but still going
    Drupal is the oldest CMS on the list, with its roots way back in 1999. It migrated to a full CMS in the mid-noughties and hasn’t looked back since. While smaller than WordPress it has a much more dedicated community. This is the Linux of CMS. You need to know what you’re doing but, boy, doesn’t it pay off.

Some of the nicest, most impressive CMS-based websites on the internet are based on this software. Indeed, if you know how to code and you know what you need – this CMS gives you everything and more.

Conclusions
    It’s a tough choice in the end, all three systems are great but it depends on what you need.

If you want ease of use and your website is more a portal than a pop-up, then WordPress will win. It’s customizable and user-friendly without being too ‘salesy’. Perfect for a corporate online presence.

On the other hand, Magento is the one to go for if you just want to sell your products on a nice-looing website, and don’t really care about the difference between PHP and Pinocchio.

Finally, Drupal is perfect for the ‘super-users’ and wins on pure customizability. Though will put anyone off who’s not comfortable with the ‘engine’ of a website.

Sincerely,

Itera Research team

Itera Research, May 19, 2015 IP
  9. Rahmat Sharifi

Rahmat Sharifi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    it is bad to compare between larvel and wp because they arent same wordpress is cms for managing content and publish theme on this system but laravel is a php framework is something that u can build any kind of website you want like wp itself i think both theme are good but as i said they are different wp is a software and laravel is php it self http://learnfa.com

Rahmat Sharifi, May 21, 2015 IP
  10. TheCaptain

TheCaptain Banned

Best Answers:
    Wordpress. I love wordpress. It is simple and easy to use.

TheCaptain, May 21, 2015 IP