1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpMyAdmin for NoSQL?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by TheDataPlanet.com, Feb 27, 2015.

Is there any proven and actively maintained PHP frontend for a NoSQL database? Such as phpMyAdmin for MySQL? I've been using MySQL for database for many years and now want to try out NoSQL but is it convenient as having easy to use management programs such as phpMyAdmin for MySQL?

P.S. What's the most popular NoSQL database system right now?

TheDataPlanet.com, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  2. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As far as I know the most widely used and the only one I've ever used is mongodb. They have a bunch of third party admin interfaces and a debugging http interface built in. You can check them out here:
    http://docs.mongodb.org/ecosystem/tools/administration-interfaces/

PDD, Feb 28, 2015 IP
  3. nimonogi

nimonogi Active Member

Best Answers:
    MongoDB. As of February 2015, MongoDB is the fourth most popular type of database management system, and the most popular for document stores.

MongoDB does not include a GUI-style administrative interface. Here is a third-party tools list you can use with MongoDB:

Fluentd - an open source log management tool with MongoDB Integration.
    MongoVue – MongoVue is a desktop GUI for the windows platform.
    MongoHub - a native Mac GUI for MongoDB.
    RoboMongo - shell centric MongoDB GUI that supports the Windows, MacOS and linux platforms.
    3T MongoChef - a multi-platform, in-place data browser and editor

nimonogi, Mar 28, 2015 IP
  4. benaya

benaya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hi PPD,

Mongodb is fast growing nosql, it's very easy to use and friendly.
    you can check below for installing mongodb.

http://www.codeasearch.com/installing-mongodb-in-windows-os.html

benaya, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  5. scott_r

scott_r Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Take it from a blacksmith... noSQL probably isn't for you. It's a really hot technology right now because of how well it scales and its speed, but it's a pain in the ass to set up and use well. The truth is, if you use pretty much any SQL database you'll be able to scale very well by just improving your server specs. if you really need to expand past that and you're not making enough money to hire a database guy to do sharding or clustering or whatever black magic they use to scale horizontally then the database isn't your major problem it's bad business skills. ;-) (I say that with kind fun, not mean internet assholery)

In summary, use a traditional SQL database and then when things slow down..
    1. Make sure you're caching and indexing things well, then see if you can optimize the DB config
    2. Upgrade hardware--fast SSD and CPU, plenty o' RAM, etc.
    3. Then if your growth outpaces Moore's law (probably won't) then hire a DB guy to set up a cluster
    4. THEN if you out grow that, hire a programmer and DB guy to upgrade your site to use some noSQL solution (maybe that won't be so damn hard to use by then too!) because you gotta have a lot money if you really break Moore's law
    mic drop

scott_r, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  6. TheDataPlanet.com

TheDataPlanet.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's some great points. Thank you! I was just a bit obsessed with technology and always afraid to be left behind, but not for business reasons. This kind of sucks, as I'm compelled to chase technology which doesn't necessarily mean money. Should have first made money and then hire tech guys to make things happen without me worrying about them myself.

TheDataPlanet.com, Apr 25, 2015 IP