1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Theme Looks Better In Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by AaronBillings, Mar 28, 2015.

Hi. I just wanted to get your (awesome) opinion before I change the theme of my blog/store.

Here is the current theme:
    http://royaltyfreemusicmarket.com/Blog/

Here is the theme that I purpose (but it will still need the menu to be adjusted and social media plugin to be download, so those are not deciding factors):
    http://royaltyfreemusicmarket.com/test/

Which is better?

Thanks!

AaronBillings, Mar 28, 2015 IP
  2. lemontwist

lemontwist Member

Best Answers:
    The second one gives the illusion that you have more content on your site.

lemontwist, Mar 28, 2015 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The first one I'd not even go so far as to call a theme. The massive text that makes what, 20 words per SCREEN at 1920x1080 desktop isn't exactly useful, and in general it feels like you're trying to hide being able to have actual content on the page. The illegible orange on black in the footer doesn't exactly help it on the usability front either.

The latter would be a marked improvement if not for some oddball giant gaps in the layout (blocked adverts maybe) but still feels very plain -- that's NOT necessarily bad, plain and simple are a good thing if the content is quality as then what's important is front and center. As I always say good design is about the content of the page, NOT the goofy graphics or "gee ain't it neat' script-tardery you hang around it.

That said I hate whatever fugly-assed webfont is used on the second one; has rendering oddities and issues that are a hefty chunk of why I would NEVER use webfonts on large sections of flow text / copy.

... and they both fall apart MISERABLY on mobile, which is why I'd probably swing an axe at both and put more effort to displaying the content in a useful manner than dicking around with goofy font faces, problematic font sizes, and massive space-wasting white-space at the sides... again, CONTENT first, semantic markup of the content SECOND, then you worry about making it pretty.

... which is why the code for both of those are absolute disasters. You'd almost think some rubbish WYSIWYG is involved in the process somewhere.

deathshadow, Mar 28, 2015 IP
  4. AaronBillings

AaronBillings Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    LOL. And I thought that I was being simplistic.

5. AaronBillings

AaronBillings Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks Deathshadow. If we talk about the themes (as in literal wordpress themes), then it seems that both work quite well for mobile devices. That said, my web form at the top of the page and the image banner on the first page that I link, both do not look so pretty.

So I should probably at least make my web form narrower, if I want it to look ideal for mobile users.

Cheers.

6. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My short answer is the second one.

kjh-08, Mar 28, 2015 IP
  7. AaronBillings

AaronBillings Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone! I ended up going with the second option.

AaronBillings, Apr 6, 2015 IP