1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Don't You Hate It When...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by usasportstraining, Mar 27, 2015.

You type this beautifully crafted sales post...and then lose it when the browser crashes?

:mad: UUUUGGGHHHHH!!

usasportstraining, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are you using Firefox by chance? Seems Firefox crashes a lot these days even if sitting on an idle page. That being said, XenForo should automatically recover it for you since it's saved server-side every few seconds (you should see an AJAX auto-save notice happen anytime it does). If it wasn't on this site, then well... I guess nothing I can do. :)

digitalpoint, Mar 27, 2015 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's happening less and less these days, but how about when you are filling out a loooong webform and when you hit submit, it finds an error and returns you to the form with some of the fields blank (usually a drop down menu choice.)

jrbiz, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  4. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yup, Firefox. Unfortunately, it wasn't on DP that it happened. Which would have been nice. :)

usasportstraining, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  5. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Every browser now has an inbuilt session-restore feature which recovers whatever you've typed in a page in case of a crash. I use Firefox, quite an old version, but if it crashes, I don't have any trouble recovering the text I've inputted. If you don't trust the inbuilt recovery feature of a browser, use add-ons. They're available for all popular browsers.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Content Maestro, Mar 27, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    One of my computers used to give me that blue screen (randomly) telling that the memory is overloaded and it needs to shut down. Speaking of being pissed when it would quit on me right in the middle of some project.

qwikad.com, Mar 29, 2015 IP
  7. nard

nard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, this often happened to me before I learned my lesson, now I made friends with MS Word and Google docs and type in there all my thoughts that I am going to post online. Whether in this forum as a reply to a thread I found interesting or starting a thread of my own, I always draft my post on Word first and then just copy paste it to my browser. That way I don’t have to worry about losing all my carefully crafted ideas to a browser crash or power failure. If this things happen, I can easily recover my work and continue posting without having to type all over again.

nard, Apr 2, 2015 IP
  8. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's why you should always use notepad or some writing program. Then you can just copy and paste the text to wherever you want it, without worrying about browser crashes.

Senobia, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  9. Franklin Hatchett

Franklin Hatchett Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Happened to be the other day 2 hours of work lost. I need to get in the habit of saving a draft every so often.

Franklin Hatchett, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  10. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Fortunately in Xenforo, we've the 'Save drafts' function which automatically saves drafts of whatever you type in after every few seconds, even if you don't save them manually. I updated my Firefox session manager plug-in yesterday and though my browser crashed a couple of times while I was entering text in it, this plug-in was able to recover everything properly after I reloaded the pages.
    Anyway, now I'm gonna make a point of first typing everything in a word processor/text editor window, saving it in a separate doc and then pasting it in the browser. Thanks @nard.;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Content Maestro, Apr 6, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. liquidone

liquidone Member

Best Answers:
    Firefox crashing has been driving me INSANE! My once stable browser has turned into a pile a trash. And I am not a big fan of Chrome as I do lots of SEO work and like to keep Google's eyeballs off of me. Call me paranoid but the fact that they sold out so hard to the NSA just gives me the creeps.

liquidone, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  12. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it happened with me too when I was using Firefox with Windows. It crashed every hour!:mad: But when I switched to Linux, it's working much better. Anyway, try using a plug-in and make sure you're using the latest version. That should minimize the problem.

Content Maestro, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  13. nard

nard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you mate, as advanced as our gadgets are, we really can’t predict when accident or malfunction will happen so it’s best that we have backup of everything we do online. With MS word, you can recover your document even if you failed to hit the save button before power interruption. But if you want to be absolutely certain that everything is being saved as you type then Google docs is the best option since it automatically saves everything you type on your Google drive. Since it is save online you can easily access it from any device when disaster like computer crash happens.

nard, Apr 6, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  14. liquidone

liquidone Member

Best Answers:
    Any long post I have always written in Word or Docs first just because the editing is a little easier. I keep meaning to fully switch to Linux. One day I will finally do it. Just have so many other projects going on at the moment.

liquidone, Apr 6, 2015 IP