1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Business Car Insurance - I Had No Idea

Discussion in 'General Business' started by JonV6, Dec 2, 2014.

?

Were you aware you needed a separate car insurance policy for travelling to meet clients?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
    How many of you have business car insurance as a small business owner? A gentleman I met at a networking even last week told me about how he had a minor ding when he was on the way to meet a client of his and that his insurance company isn't paying out because his personal insurance policy doesn't cover him for journeys like that.

I had no idea this was the case so did some research and sure enough this seems to be common practice. This page was quite informative: http://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/business-vehicle-insurance/business-car-insurance-explained/

So I've now got to add business car insurance to my ever expanding costs. Did anyone else know this was the case? I feel there's a sever lack of education by insurance companies and the government when it comes to this subject!

JonV6, Dec 2, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. PartnerwithJackie

PartnerwithJackie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've never heard of this. It's time for me to check with my insurance company ASAP to make sure I'm covered.

PartnerwithJackie, Dec 2, 2014 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I started poking around on some U.S. sites and it seems like it is the same situation here. Did not realize this was a potential issue. Thanks.

jrbiz, Dec 2, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's the Government's job to teach you to ask questions and read the fine print. It probably is the job of the Insurance industry but I suspect they don't see it as being in their best interest.

Add to that the fact that your home office may not be insured if you have not declared that you run a business from home.

Nothing like the nonsense I experienced in my brief sojourn in the US contracted to an insurance company. The software we were installing had to be set to ask questions like
    Do you entertain at home (yes, premiums go up)
    Do you serve alcohol to your guests (yes, premiums go up)
    and on and on it went

So, if you said no, then had a guest that you did serve alcohol to would and they tripped and sprained their ankle etc would you be covered?

I get that you should only pay for what you use and if certain behaviour increases your risk profile then your premiums should reflect that increased risk but it just seemed crazy.

sarahk, Dec 2, 2014 IP
  5. Abbadox

Abbadox Active Member

Best Answers:
    The auto insurance industry has come up with lots of escape clauses over the years to help them avoid having to pay a claim. The business clause is pretty straight forward but many people are also not aware you can get coverage called pleasure driving which is really designed for people with cars they rarely use, for example an old Cuda that you drive on weekends for fun. If you decide one day to drive that car to work and have an accident the insurance company could claim that is was not a pleasure drive but a work related drive. My point is take the 5 minutes and actually read thru all the details of your policy.

Abbadox, Dec 2, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. JonV6

JonV6 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The more research I do into the subject of insurance, whether it's home, car, business etc the more faith I lose in insurance companies and the whole convoluted process. I agree with what you are saying, ultimate responsibility lies with the policy holder BUT I still think more should be done to raise awareness of this fact. I can tell you I was driving around uninsured but it wasnt malicious.

However, I guess we can be thankful for small mercies that we don't live in the US. Sarah that sounds ridiculous! What a minefield!

JonV6, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  7. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The United States is a litigious society, that is for sure. But insurance has been moving more toward charging for risk-based activities. If you have a party and serve alcohol and an intoxicated guest crashes his car, you are legally liable, meaning your insurance company will have to pay. Likewise, if you have a dog there is the risk of your dog biting someone which can trigger an insurance claim or lawsuit. Someone with no dog has no such risk and should not pay for the risk coverage they do not need. If you think about it, it does make sense. Those of higher risk pay more, those of lower risk pay less.

I remember I had to argue with my old insurance company one time because if you work 10 miles away from home and drive to work you get charged a higher rate. I actually worked 9.8 miles from home, just under the 10 mile limit. I did win that one and paid the lower rate.

Some insurance companies now offer discounts based on safe driving if you are willing to plug a device into your car's diagnostic system so your speed and possibly other things can be recorded. The program is voluntary. People who drive safe, drive slow, will pay lower rates.

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/ca...ing-technology-can-help-lower-your-car-i.html
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamtan...oney-on-car-insurance-but-some-will-pay-more/

I know of a bad driver who has smashed up every car he had just about over the past 20 years. I knew of two people who smashed into parked cars because they were going around a corner too fast. Under the normal system, everybody pays for that reckless behavior.

billzo, Dec 8, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It really makes sense to charge for insurance based upon an individual's risk profile and actual results when it comes to driving. That model breaks down a bit, however, when it comes to healthcare insurance. For example, I think that it is fine that a smoker be charged more than a non-smoker. However, I do not feel the same way about someone who has been diagnosed with a chronic illness (diabetes, e.g.) being charged more in anticipation of higher assumed costs. Insurance is about spreading risk, after all.

jrbiz, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If we're talking risk profiling then charging more for those with a chronic illness is fair enough - especially if you look at risk factors leading up the illness. Some type 2 diabetes patients are plain unlucky and it's triggered by a virus or some other random event but most have mismanaged their health over a number of decades and have ignored the basic health message that looks them in the face every time they look in a mirror. If you have failed to take advice in the past why should your insurance company think you will now? and if you don't you will be very, very expensive. No spread risk there, it's guaranteed.

I have no problem with Insurance companies scaring the bejeesus out of people if that means they might be motivated to avoid the ghastly life and death my mother had with the disease.

I feel much more sympathetic for the homeowner whose guest chooses to drink and drive. Ultimately how you choose to behave at a social gathering and how you choose to get home are your responsibility. If you haven't got the balls to turn down a drink or to request a taxi then you need to grow up and your own premiums should reflect your immaturity.

Can you imagine writing down your guest list and thinking "can't invite Jimmy, he'll drink and drive and my premiums will go up" or "we told the insurance company we weren't having a party this year but we've just decided to anyway, I better ring and let them know". I hope it never gets that bad down here.

sarahk, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  10. ceenote100

ceenote100 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How would these companies know if you were doing anything business related if you didn't tell them? Unless you were wearing a suit and tie carrying a briefcase, there's no way the other party would know if you were picking up a client.

ceenote100, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is a very slippery slope with predicting and/or preventing disease vis-à-vis insurance rates. Should a person stricken with cancer be punished because they did not eat enough anti-oxidants as recommended by nutrition experts? Should insurance companies be able to look at your DNA to see what problems your parents may have given you due to the fact that your father worked in a nuclear power plant? If someone was charged higher rates because he drank a glass of wine every night back in the 1980's when that was a BIG no-no, now get a refund because it has been determined that a single glass of wine extends the average lifespan?

I am comfortable with speeding tickets and accident reports helping to determine insurance rates. Illnesses, potential disease preventive measures, etc., are simply too squishy for me to want them used in mathematical equations determining risk.

jrbiz, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I get that, but it's wrong to cherry pick which behaviours should be factored in and which shouldn't.

Ultimately insurance companies are all about the dollars and if their stats guys can find a risk factor they're going to try to build it in.

Fun fact: cyclists have a 9% higher chance of getting prostate cancer.
    Is that because a) cycling increases the risk? b) cyclists are more likely to go to the doctor about problems with their junk?
    Should premiums go up if you are male and cycle?

I road cycle and mountain bike but I'm a scaredy cat with very good skills. Should my premiums go up because I cycle and then down a bit because I don't take risks? Do I get no-claims bonus because I haven't broken myself this year?

sarahk, Dec 8, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You're absolutely right: it is all about drawing the line and the insurance companies would undoubtedly prefer that we spend 12 hours per day chronicling all of our activities and decisions so that they could better understand our personal risk profile and, primarily, jack up our rates because of any bad choices that they think we are making.

jrbiz, Dec 8, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  14. piapetersson

piapetersson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey, I am also a small business owner and started my business with a business insurance company. I have never heard of this, and now its time to check all the concerns of insurance.

piapetersson, Mar 26, 2015 IP