1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Knowing if an article has been encoded

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by vfleming, Mar 22, 2015.

Hi all, I have searched and searched and can not find anything. How can you tell if you purchased an encoded article. I know that price is obviously a sign but that doesn't mean that you are not getting one for a higher price.

This might be a dumb question, maybe I'm just paranoid. But buying articles off Fiverr, or even on DP you never really know.

I know I can spot check phrases by typing them into Google search, just wondering if I copy and paste the whole article into something like notepad would strip any coding and show up odd?

Again, sorry if it is a dumb article but I'm looking to buy bulk articles to keep fresh content posting daily and just don't want to ruin my sites.

Thanks

vfleming, Mar 22, 2015 IP
  2. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What do you exactly mean by 'encoded'?

Content Maestro, Mar 22, 2015 IP
  3. syda

syda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I know exactly what you mean. I have received some of those articles myself from time to time. Whenever an articles looks too good for the price, it's worth a check. Also, if people who are not from an English speaking country submit amazing content with good ideas and perfect English, I know it's fishy.

Anyhow, here is a tool to check - http://www.cynosurex.com/Software/Text Encoding Detector/

syda, Mar 23, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and WLEadmin like this.
  4. WLEadmin

WLEadmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very sneaky process in which normal ASCII (or UTF-8 or Unicode) characters are replaced by non-standard characters that look the same, but aren't. For example, you replace every 'e' with a cyrillic or other character that looks the same but which duplicate checkers won't spot. The article comes up as unique, when it's actually an exact copy with sneaky character replacement.

And thanks, @syda, for the tool link - VERY useful!

WLEadmin, Mar 23, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  5. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Ah I see. Never knew replacing normal characters with non-standard ones that look same is a way to dodge plag checkers. Folks will just come up with anything! Thanks anyway.:)
    Thanks. The tool relieves me a bit. Where there's a virus, there's also an anti-virus.:D

Content Maestro, Mar 23, 2015 IP
  6. syda

syda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    A few years ago when I hadn't heard about this and used some auto submitter thingy to upload articles (sent by new "excellent" writers in my team) to my blogs I was going crazy trying to figure out why all the words in my content were missing some letters.

syda, Mar 23, 2015 IP
  7. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Now that you know it, the "excellent" writers in your team will probably go crazy trying to figure out why their Paypal is missing some payments.:)

jrbiz and syda like this.
  8. syda

syda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Actually, I see it a lot less these days. The new trend is to use automated rewriting software to create the articles and then edit the first two sentences to look neat (hoping the client won't read further) and take care of some major problems throughout the article. This is much more difficult to detect and put your finger on. It may be how they actually write, but probably isn't. The downside is that you can't really prove it.

syda, Mar 23, 2015 IP
  9. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Not sure how the latest rewriting programs work, but I bet any software can NEVER rewrite as effectively or perfectly as a human. Clientele, on the whole, has become very savvy now and people just won't scan the first few words and publish the content as it is. They go through the entire text thoroughly. Yep, catching deception is hard when you rely *solely* on tools like plag checkers or grammar checkers. That's actually why we've got HUMAN editors and proofreaders in the first place.:)

jrbiz likes this.
  10. syda

syda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You are right about editing and all, but it's hard to prove that the writer has used software to "write" the article, they just tell you that it is all their own writing. With encoded articles, at least it's easy to prove.

syda, Mar 23, 2015 IP
  11. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    If you simply do a cursory inspection of the text you receive, it would be hard to make out whether the content has been really written by a human. However, if you carry out a thorough and detailed audit, you can find out the flaws without much trouble. A piece of content that has been produced by a software, no matter how sophisticated it is, will lack the naturalness, flow, coherence and context of one that has been written by a good-quality human writer.

jrbiz likes this.
  12. Alex Toll

Alex Toll Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, but this whole thread is a cringe-fest. Encoding characters? How low do you have to be? You know what's the saddest part about this whole thing? Some jerk will come hear, read this thread and then go 'Hey, this is a great way of earning money! I'll do this!'

This is probably the lowest form of 'copywriting'. I mean, if you're writing copy and you're bad - at least you've done the work all by yourself.

Alex Toll, Mar 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. WLEadmin

WLEadmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Scams are everywhere. You might, for example, want to ask the site in your sig why they're using an image of Indian actress Yami Gautham as "Chahna, India" on a testimonial. (No, not saying it's a scam - it just makes people wonder, much like the stock photo used for "Andrey, Russia".) :)

It's like spinning: it takes zero time and it's free money if you can get people to fall for it. As always, the desire for "something for nothing" is overwhelming.

WLEadmin, Mar 24, 2015 IP
  14. Alex Toll

Alex Toll Active Member

Best Answers:
    Another example of a bad job that a random freelancer can do, if he's looking for some easy cash. Nothing more.

Alex Toll, Mar 24, 2015 IP
  15. vfleming

vfleming Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone! I'll check that checker out tonight.

When you run into $1-$3 articles, believe it :)

vfleming, Mar 24, 2015 IP
  16. RuthSB

RuthSB Member

Best Answers:
    Wouldn't Copyscape show any duplication out there?

RuthSB, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  17. vfleming

vfleming Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, encoding will show as unique and pass copyscape. It is evil shady.

Copyscape doesn't look for it. Would be a nice feature though.

vfleming, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  18. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Even if Copycape Premuim is able to catch encoded characters this thread talks about, it DOESN'T mean that content is not plagiarized. Copyscape ONLY searches for an exact match of the inputted text. If you replace words with their synonyms and change the sentence structure a bit, of course WITHOUT altering in ANY way the meaning of the source content, Copyscape WON'T be able to catch it. 'Copyscape-passed' is NOT a foolproof means to guarantee that a piece is unique or original. Still, buyers are many times very insistent on content being 'Copyscape-passed', the reason for which I've not been able to understand till now.

Content Maestro, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  19. RuthSB

RuthSB Member

Best Answers:
    And writers will actually do this? Really? Wow, I never would have thought of that. Is there any way when you get a paid for article you can paste it and have encoding changed/disabled? Like posting html to plain text?

RuthSB, Mar 28, 2015 IP
  20. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I guess every text editor/word processor/browser supports multiple character encodings and allows you to switch from one to the other. There must also be a lot of offline and online utilities that enable you to convert character encodings from one format to another. Google and you'll easily find them out.

Content Maestro, Mar 28, 2015 IP