1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Marketing is a waste of Time and Money

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Jake The Competition Man, Mar 17, 2015.

Ok, I was reading an article about this, and the conclusion was that to ensure that your marketing is not a waste of time and money, someone should create a shop in his website and see what happens.

I was sure it was a joke. So I tried to find a meaning till the end of the article. Can't find one! Ok, what's the point.

I think it's all a stats thing. You need to study the results step by step and be sure of anything before spending money on marketing, advertising and other investments.

As I always say, the less you spend, the more you earn. What are your thoughts about this?

2. syda

syda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I'm sure it's my own ignorance but I don't really understand what you (or the article you read) are saying. Marketing is not a waste of time or money. Even this setting up a shop thing, in my mind, is marketing. Creating your own website is marketing.

You can't have any results or stats to study if you don't spend on marketing, advertising and the rest. I think it's also a lot about taking risks and testing. Even if you lose money with some strategies, you might never find out what works for you if you don't try.

I believe it usually goes just the opposite, the more you spend the more you earn. It's hard to make $100,000 with $100 to start with, but if you have $20,000 to invest, chances are so much better. It is also more profitable to spend $90,000 to make $100,000 than it is to spend $900 to make $1,000.

syda, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  3. Bob Raven

Bob Raven Member

Best Answers:
    ''the less you spend, the more you earn.''
    Nice Thought
    But my thinking is that without investment in something you earn less...

Bob Raven, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  4. Atikur

Atikur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that so. Because many of them earning a lot doing marketing. So, it has value and of course can go a long way.

Atikur, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  5. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, in my website I explain how to earn money with just a little investment, which means just setting up a website and focus on Affiliate Marketing. Syda, the article was about a marketing guy working as salesman explaining that online marketing is different than brick and mortar marketing and you don't have the same results but a lot less online.

I don't think so, that's why I can't understand his article, I don't agree, since I think that online marketing has impressive potential that traditional marketing does not have.

In any case, when dealing with online stuff, stats are important, and if you study the stats you have results, that's my answer.

About investing money, there's an impressive number of guys trying to earn online, spending huge money and having no results. Investing money must be targeted and with a reason. That's why I say that the less you spend, the more you earn. It's my lesson to newbies. When you don't know what you are doing, spend less but with a specific goal.

Then, it's obvious that if you have a lot of money, it's easier to have a website with high traffic, just paying an impressive PPC campaign. But, how much are you spending? and where is the real challenge? Also, will you get back the money you are investing this way? So, specific, less investment, made with care and with goals are my advice. And that's a lot better than spending here and there trying to have traffic and a famous website.

6. syda

syda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I agree with you that online marketing has a huge advantage over regular marketing - it costs so much less and results can be seen fast.

I get your point about investing small when just starting out. I did the same, started with no money, getting my first online income from writing $1 articles. It took me the whole day to write 5 articles. In the end, I think I invested a lot more into writing than I got out of it. My time is worth a lot more. I invested these $5 back into my online career. Now I've been working online full time for 5+ years, earning more than I ever could by having a "real" job.

However, I still think that investing money is wise, even beginners shouldn't try to do it all themselves, unless of course they have nothing else to do with their time and they are happy to wait months and years for results. Why spend three hours doing something that you aren't really familiar with and not really good at when you can pay someone $5 and get it done fast and professionally. When talking about investments, especially in the case of beginners, we have to consider time as an investment as well. After all, time is money as they say.

syda, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  7. nkthen

nkthen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually, the less you spend, the less you earn.

If I am able to spend $1 to make $2 for a marketing method, I will invest $1000 to make $2000. If it is proven that I can that, I will spend $10,000 to make $20,000.

nkthen, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  8. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, the statement is true to an extent.

It will only hold after you split test and optimize your marketing funnel, such that the same dollar you put in, you'll get better results.

Ethan Alvin, Mar 18, 2015 IP
  9. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You must "speculate" to "accumulate".

Mkcoy, Mar 18, 2015 IP
  10. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The same people that claim that "Marketing is a waste of time and money" are the ones which I often like to summarize with the saying "Marketing is like sex - everyone thinks they are doing it right" ;)

Rado_ch, Mar 18, 2015 IP
  11. Bob Raven

Bob Raven Member

Best Answers:
    Nice sentence !!

Bob Raven, Mar 18, 2015 IP
  12. masterbusiness

masterbusiness Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think so without marketing your like running a business without knowing its future. And it would be devastating if ever you ever find yourself in a failing business. That's right proper marketing expenses would let you earn double.

masterbusiness, Apr 28, 2015 IP