1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Investing Club

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Jordan Barlow, Mar 10, 2015.

?

Would You Join an Investing Club In College Had It Been Offered?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2015.
  1. Yes, I would have interest

100.0%
  2. No, I have no interest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    I'm a college student who loves investing and am interested in learning more. I am at a college that does not have an investing club or really any classes. I was wondering how many students would be interested in learning more about investing.

Jordan Barlow, Mar 10, 2015 IP
  2. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's the difference between Investment Bankers and London Pigeons?

The Pigeons are still capable of making deposits on new BMW's.

Mkcoy, Mar 10, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. Jordan Barlow

Jordan Barlow Member

Best Answers:
    That comment deserves a like.

Jordan Barlow, Mar 10, 2015 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We had lots when I was at Uni, but that was before the crash of '87

sarahk, Mar 10, 2015 IP
    Mkcoy likes this.
  5. antoseeg

antoseeg Member

Best Answers:
    Lol.
    I think many people are interested in investing, they just don't have the dedication to learning about it to be successful. Security Analysis is great book for people to start out with, but many people find it hard to read. If you can break investing down into a simple form, I think you can get many people to join a club.

antoseeg, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  6. Jordan Barlow

Jordan Barlow Member

Best Answers:
    That's what I figured I'd do. It is very simple to create a very basic average yield investor portfolio. I want to educate people on the simplicity of this process. Students I've come across in college think when they become wealthy they will just put all the money in a savings account. Why only get 1/2 percent interest when you could get 12?!! Many people don't understand that through a great strategy wealth can be built. It would be good to inspire students to learn about the best options for their money to grow.

Jordan Barlow, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  7. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks I thought so too. :D
    Hope that you are able to see my POV on investing right there. It is one that sums up my experience with investing. Anyone that's ever come into a large sum of money at your disposal or has saved up a large amount 5 figures or more will inevitably tell you about how they were sold investing schemes by their own banks for both small low risk investments to larger high risk investments and how it is a minefield full of, well, mines and potholes, snipers, shotguns, bigshots and greedy green eyed egomaniac billionaires just waiting for young naive entrepreneurs to invest in their bogus schemes that are full of red tape and scandal they can con and dupe their money from. I'm just saying, it's a big old sea and you're just a little fish. Watch out for the sharks.

That said, if you do your homework, that's not to say you can't find something useful to invest your money in that is sure to produce a worthy and valuable ROI. Something YOU have a passion for anyway that you would excel in. For me it would be wearable tech like game googles, virtual reality headsets, augmented reality, holographic displays, 3D printing, nano technology or mini drones. Check Kickstarter.com you can find many budding creators and companies on there to invest in that have a lot of potential in them. I think some of these were even a success that was on there first now. But it's just the same, you have to know when something is worth investing in or not if it will be a flop, or not. :)

Mkcoy, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  8. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you one of the most well off people in your college Jordan? And is this a US or UK college? Most students I've come across are usually too skint to even know where there next beer or round of beans on toast is coming from let alone putting together any kind of investment portfolio. Most students I know are too skint from paying back fees and not thinking about putting together an investment portfolio. Which in your definition is what exactly? To me that would be basically saying how much I'm willing to give you and loose right? You "might" be able to invest it in something but there is always risk with all things in life and even though you'll use your expertise to carefully research and invest my money into the best things there is of course, no guarantee or money back fail safe scheme or insurance either. Unless you can explain it in more detail than that here. That to me is all that that sounds like. What would be the basics of it broken down to you? How easy is it for a student like this to do that? What are the costs and time frame involved?

What you say is right though, young people and students (because believe it or not students are people too) would benefit from a completely impartial non-partial free advice guide for how to safely and successfully bank, save and invest their money, earnings or windfalls and tax free savings. Advice and information on what options people will have available to them when in education or full time employment, employed or self employed. And advice and tips on reliable and safe ways to invest if that is what they want. What they don't need is another over zealous marketer looking to do it purely for a buck and telling them that they can do it because they should without making sure they are fully aware of all the consequences first and I just don't think that you have that knowledge and experience Jordan.

Mkcoy, Mar 12, 2015 IP
  9. Jordan Barlow

Jordan Barlow Member

Best Answers:
    To answer your questions, no I am not a skint college kid who can't afford beer. In fact I don't even drink alcohol. That's why I have money, because I try my best to be smart with my finances and try to build a successful career now, not later, now. Even though it's socially acceptable to drink, party, and act foolish in college, I avoid these activities. These are the kids that could use a course in smart financing. In a world where student loans are widely accepted, I have gone through school in the US debt free.

I am simply wanting to create an investment club. This is not a brokerage firm in which I would collect commissions and margins. This is not a business proposition, it is a learning proposition. I am in no way saying that I am looking to make bank off people. I am wondering if you, the people of Digital Point, think it would be a good idea to start an investment club. A FREE club where students can talk and learn about investing and even just finances over all. I have interest in this topic because I know how important it is and how easy it is to get involved. I too am looking to learn more, A LOT MORE. A lot of money is not required to start a brokerage account, this is a misconception. Sure you won't get the massive yield with little capital, but it's a great way to learn. And as long as you stick with mostly large cap companies, as well as mutual funds with good track records you'll be fine. It's never too early to start investing at least a little bit, this way good saving habits form.

Couldn't agree more. Obviously if somebody is putting their money at risk solely based on somebodies good word then they are likely to never see their money again. Most people just don't know how and where to put their money for it to grow. That's why I want to create this club, that's why people need to be educated.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
    Jordan Barlow, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't join one with people I met online and would recommend that nobody else does either. It comes into the same category as carrying parcels through customs for a guy on the plane and being a distant relative of a Nigerian Prince.
    The answer, however, is to go for it - but club members have to be able to meet in person and there needs to be a high level of trust.

I wouldn't recommend the members here as arbiters of your decision to go ahead or not. We're internet marketers and geeks, not finance gurus.

sarahk, Mar 17, 2015 IP