1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What if I refuse to pay for winning auction

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by haier, Feb 21, 2015.

Yesterday I won a domain in godaddy auction which I was bidding for.I actually didn't want to buy it and was expecting to get outbid.Sounds stupid but i was bidding to learn how it works.
    To my shock,other bidders stopped bidding after my bid and eventually I won it.Godaddy sent me email asking to pay me within 48 hours. I want to know,can godaddy take some legal action against me or what would be the consequences if I dont pay

haier, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is not likely that you will face legal action from GoDaddy over the failure to pay for an auction, unless you bid a really high amount that is worth chasing. More than likely, they will treat you as a deadbeat member and cancel your account, etc. How much did you bid?

jrbiz, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  3. haier

haier Active Member

Best Answers:
    I bid for 25 $ which indeed is not too much.Will they suspend my domain account too or only auction account? Today I won another auction and I promptly paid for it,will it affect my this winning domain too?

haier, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  4. cherrytom

cherrytom Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's only 25 bucks, I would respectfully suggest paying it rather than run the risk of GoDaddy closing your account --- which they probably wouldn't! Then you could offer it for sale. You might even make a profit! But if you take a little bit of loss, no problem! At least you've kept your integrity intact, which is worth far more than 25 bucks! Have a great day, and may you always keep smiling!

cherrytom, Feb 23, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. garethjehu

garethjehu Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with @cherrytom, it really isnt worth while not paying especially as you have a domain and account with them. If they did decide to make an example of you it would be a very difficult mess to sort out.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
    garethjehu, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  6. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    I'd buy the damned thing and be done with it. If it's any consolation, I once bid on a saddle, of all things, at a regular auction, thinking that I was going to outbid. Although I have never owned a horse, I coughed up $110 for a saddle that sat in my living room for years until someone stole it. I can't imagine who, because I lived in Anaheim, not Montana. On the positive side, I got to make up some pretty creative stories when people asked about the saddle in my living room.

Rado_ch, matt_62 and sarahk like this.
  7. haier

haier Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have just received an email from godaddy that they have temporarily suspended my auction membership.
    Now I wonder what will happen to by other domain which I won in auction today and ve already paid for.Will it be transferred to my domain account after 7 days?

haier, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You have jeopardized your relationship with GoDaddy and you seem to have done and want to continue to do business with them. You need to take the advice that has already been provided to you above.

jrbiz, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  9. haier

haier Active Member

Best Answers:
    They suspended my account before I could act upon the advice given here.Being new to this its a learning phase for me and I have learnt a great lesson. They have TEMPORARILY suspended my account and I hope my account will soon be restored.

haier, Feb 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

jrbiz, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  11. haier

haier Active Member

Best Answers:
    In response to my email I got the following reply from godaddy staff
    Discussion Notes
    Support Staff Response
    Dear Sir or Madam,

Your auction account has been suspended due to nonpayment of xxxxxxx.xx. You will need to pay the admin fee to have your account reactivated. I have placed the fee in your cart. Please notify us by responding to this email when you have processed the fee. We will reactivate your auction membership at that time.

haier, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  12. Colby-GoDaddy

Colby-GoDaddy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It won't affect the other transaction if it's paid, if it's your first offense we can re-instate you for a $10 admin fee as the email you posted states.

Colby-GoDaddy, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  13. haier

haier Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have paid the admin fee which was somewhere around 10 $ and have intimated the godaddy staff of the same.Lets see how long will they take to restore my membership

haier, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  14. haier

haier Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes its my first offence and I was expecting just a written apology would be enough lol
    I have to pay for my ignorance

haier, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  15. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein Member

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend just not using godaddy..

Rmarmorstein, Mar 7, 2015 IP
  16. haier

haier Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why? I have been a member of godaddy for last two and a half years and I dont have any issues with them.

haier, Mar 8, 2015 IP
  17. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein Member

Best Answers:
    they are just way more expensive than everyone else..

Rmarmorstein, Mar 8, 2015 IP
  18. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @op, I have played second highest bidder before, but never with things I never wanted. I once purchased a sucky site from flippa for the same reason you did, simply to go through the whole sale for the experience, and I did that before I started to bid on the more expensive auctions for the things I did want.

The domain is "cheap", and gives you the experience that you were after. Not paying for it wont help you or your reputation either. And worse case scenario, you can now gain experience trying to sell the domain -> it might never sell, or you might get your money back.
    ROFL

matt_62, Mar 8, 2015 IP
  19. Mo' Money

Mo' Money Active Member

Best Answers:
    next time before do something, think twice :) that would be my best suggestion ! lol

Mo' Money, Mar 18, 2015 IP
  20. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Non-paying bidders are the scourge of the internet! I can't tell you how many times I've sold something on eBay and the winning bidder has not paid.

We are not listing things just so you can bid on it for the sake of bidding on it. We are listing it so that you can BUY it. Means sending them your money.

Don't bid if you wont buy!

Mkcoy, Mar 18, 2015 IP