1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My domain

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by zutana, Mar 3, 2015.

Hello all,
    My name is Ella and I'm new to this forum. This is more of a question. I hope it fits here and I hope I'm in the right place. I recently bought a domain and a hosting service, that I listed on Google by submitting my URL to them. Google indicated that they do not know when the URL submitted, will show up or even if it will show up. I searched my website's name and I found it ! But instead of it being the name of the domain I bought, I see that it is listed as "index.html," which makes my domain difficult to find. I can't rename the file name the name of my webpage, because then it shows up as "Index of," listing all of the files I've uploaded to my ftp space. So "index.html," is the only way that my webpage will show up on the internet. How do people get their websites to show up with the full name? I'd be much obliged if any insight were given. Thank you. -Ella

zutana, Mar 3, 2015 IP
  2. TB Ann

TB Ann Banned

Best Answers:
    This depend on the site description and title page inside that index.html or the contents of the page.

TB Ann, Mar 3, 2015 IP
  3. zutana

zutana Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanx for the response, but not of much help. If you could expand on how this done, be it'd more helpful! Thanx!

zutana, Mar 3, 2015 IP
  4. TB Ann

TB Ann Banned

Best Answers:
    it will help if you paste your domain here.

TB Ann, Mar 3, 2015 IP
  5. zutana

zutana Peon

Best Answers:
    Will do, as soon as I get a chance. Thanx for your response! -Ella

zutana, Mar 3, 2015 IP
  6. deepakrajput

deepakrajput Member

Best Answers:
    You need to implement on-page SEO for your website proper title & description tag to look it in search engines.

deepakrajput, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  7. zutana

zutana Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanx for the response, but you see, I don't want to have to buy or pay for having my website listed. Long ago I had a website that listed on most search engines that didn't require a fee or cost anything for it to be listed. I know my website can be searched w/o the having to pay for it. I'm just asking how to get rid of the index.html file which keeps showing up on Google. Thanx again.
    -Ella

zutana, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  8. tks

tks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Updating your page title in Google SERP is not in your control (it is in the hands of Google Bot algorithm), if your site is very new, it will take longer time, one suggestion is to update your page with proper meta tags like "title" and "description" and fetch your page again from Google webmaster tools ("fetch as Google Bot"). Hope this helps.

tks, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  9. zutana

zutana Peon

Best Answers:
    What you've posted makes sense, though I may need help with the meta tags. I've always heard of mega tags, but not sure what they are. Perhaps you can show me an example. Really appreciate your response. I'll also have to look into that Google webmaster tools. Thanx again! -Ella

zutana, Mar 5, 2015 IP
  10. Kushal Shah

Kushal Shah Active Member

Best Answers:
    You could start submitting your website in social bookmarking websites & sharing it on your social networking platforms. This will help you crawl your website initially. If you could share your website URL, you can have better suggestions ;)

Kushal Shah, Mar 5, 2015 IP
  11. tks

tks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    meta tags comes inside HTML header, from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_element
    Page title must convey what is inside that page (the content).

The best example of a wrong title is this page title:"My domain" which does not convey what is inside this page, I came out of curiosity here :)

An appropriate title for this page should be something link, "why my web page title is not indexing appropriately in Google SERP?"

tks, Mar 5, 2015 IP
  12. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forget about Meta Tags, focus more on Meta Descriptions and Meta Titles, SiteMap, Site Optimization.

What are you building your site with? Is it pure coding or you a CMS like WordPress for example? Different applications have different Permalink options and there are different ways of making your URL appear as yourdomain.com instead of yourdomain.com/index.html.

You also mentioned yourdomain.com opens an index list of your files. This is because you have not uploaded a homepage on it and this is standard. As soon as you upload the whole website in your public_html folder it should open just fine.

Hope that helps.

Rado_ch, Mar 5, 2015 IP
  13. zutana

zutana Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using a wysiwyg editor (KompoZer). I have uploaded the "homepage," since it's just one page, indicating that the site is still under construction. I'm sorry, but I'm probably unclear on "uploading the homepage," concept? Like I said, if I do not up load the page I want to show as an index.html, the page will not display and only "Index of/" shows, when I click the URL address, showing me a list of all my files. If I click on each link, then it shows the various files including the homepage. Thank you for responding to my post. -Ella

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    zutana, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  14. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Well, your homepage HAS TO be named index.html or index.php in order to display it and not bring you just the Index page. So just upload it like that, with any of the 2 extensions, based on what you are using.

As for fixing the URL afterwards, there should be an option in KompoZer to do that, although I have to admit I have just basic knowledge about this editor software. However there is also a way to fix your URLs through your .htaccess file, located in your control panel with the host. There are a couple of lines you need to change in the mod_rewrite rule and this would remove the pesky extension after your page name.

Hope that helps.

Rado_ch, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  15. zutana

zutana Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanx for responding. I'll take a look into the places you've indicated and see if I can find what you've mentioned above. Thanx again! -Ella

zutana, Mar 6, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  16. CYCchips

CYCchips Active Member

Best Answers:
    Need more info if it is wordpress website there are many plugin that can help to fix some issues but here can not answer well no enough info is it with wp

CYCchips, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  17. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    As she already mentioned - its KompoZer, not WP ;)

Rado_ch, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  18. CYCchips

CYCchips Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok sorry then i m not use to KompoZer that much sorry about my fault pls help her!!!

CYCchips, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  19. henriyo

henriyo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your problem is actually not a problem. index.html is your homepage, it is a place that you will see when you type yourdomain.com on the browser.

so it does not matter if then your browser has yourdomain.com/index.html since you only have one page
    All you need to do right now is build other pages, and it would be better if you learn the codes instead of just using a WYIWYG tool.

henriyo, Mar 7, 2015 IP
  20. zutana

zutana Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. Perhaps I overlooked it, but I don't see where I or anyone else has addressed this as being a problem? I believe that someone else addressed the issue of the index.html being a necessity already. I don't see that learning the codes would alleviate the issue I'm having with my website not showing up on the internet. I have never had an issue with using a WYSIWYG tool on my other websites in the past to get my pages to show. All I need is a couple of pages. So don't see the need in learning endless codes. Thanx!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    zutana, Mar 8, 2015 IP