1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling PR2 Aged Retro Game Site Selling Original Software

Discussion in 'Sites' started by asmodeus, Mar 1, 2015.

This game site sells software containing 25 original remakes of classic retro games similar to Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pacman, etc. The site allows visitors to download a trial version of the software and then, if they want the full version, they can pay $19.99 to get a license key to unlock it.

Was using Plimus as the payment processor, but they suck (see their thread on DP to read more), so I switched to Paypal and had a few sales when it first started a few years ago, but has been dormant for the past year with no promotion. If you are good at promoting on social media, then you should do well again.

The site is currently listed on several software sites, and has some awards posted from them as well.

Sale includes master rights to full version software, plus the main sales site (PR2 and 4 years old!), and a 2nd full site (the .net) also monetized with CPA offers, and the original robot character (SAM) created for the site.

Simple site to run, as the key is given instantly after Paypal checkout. Had approx 2k worth of sales between 2011 to 2013, but nothing should be assumed now until it can be promoted again. The new owner can also adjust the sales price for the software, as I think it's too high these days. A price point of $9.95 would likely do better.

In total it's a good package deal with a low reserve. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    asmodeus, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  2. Bigtoys67

Bigtoys67 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 4
    What sort of traffic is it getting? i know you have done nothing with it but still should be on the scale?

Bigtoys67, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  3. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    Its taking me awhile to get used to the new setup here at DP, as I entered that info when I created the sales thread, but now I dont see it.

It gets about 320 uniques per month and 2100 page views. Some of it comes from Google for keywords related to arcade games, and the biggest referring site is one of the software download list websites. It used to automatically update from the PAD file, but nothing has changed on that for awhile.

asmodeus, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  4. mytechiestuff

mytechiestuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    89.5% - 17
    "25 original remakes of classic retro games similar to Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pacman, etc."
    Could there be problems with copyright from the original creators???

mytechiestuff, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  5. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    Making a similar style of game play doesn't constitute copyright infringement anymore than making a movie about partying in high school infringes upon the 100's of movies with that theme. There are MANY famous games that copied ideas from other famous games before them without issue. It would be different if we made our games as exact replicas with the same original titles (which would be copyright infringement), but all we did was create shooters, brick breakers, etc, that have similar game play to the old games.

If you try them yourself you will see the names and games themselves are totally different and, in my opinion, better, as you can add your own music and customize the game experience.

asmodeus, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  6. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    It's only been a couple days into the auction and 2 people have already PMed me with offers to end it early. Please understand that I'm NOT that kind of seller and I believe in giving everyone a fair chance. Ending it early in favor of one buyer would not be fair to everyone else.

If you are truly interested, then simply place your bid, like everyone else, and you may even get it for LESS than what you offered me privately. I'd be ok with taking less because I'm more interested in fairness in the marketplace than screwing someone else for the sake of a few bucks. I don't need the money that bad. I'm an honest and fair seller with a high reputation on several webmaster forums, so please no more PM's with private offers.

Thank you for understanding.

asmodeus, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  7. Bigtoys67

Bigtoys67 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 4
    Have you had a chance to look in to the issue for me :)

Bigtoys67, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  8. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    Not really. I realized when I got home that day that there is no way for me to replicate your issue, since I'm not experiencing it myself. Since you already have the file in question, then simply zip it and see what happens. I can't reproduce that, sorry.

asmodeus, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  9. Bigtoys67

Bigtoys67 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 4
    all i am saying is as soon as you download its making all sorts of alerts with anti virus dont want it to hinder your sale and for that reason am out...

Bigtoys67, Mar 5, 2015 IP
  10. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    Like I said in PM, it's a false positive with Norton, as it doesn't affect any other antivirus program, and zipping it wouldn't make any difference with that. You were outbid a couple days ago, so no worries. Enjoy your day.

asmodeus, Mar 5, 2015 IP
  11. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    I just had a question via PM that I should also answer here.

This sale includes the original, individual game files that you can edit as you like. So, it's not just one piece of software, but all 25 game executables as well, so you can do what you want with them :)

asmodeus, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  12. mytechiestuff

mytechiestuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    89.5% - 17
    Can you agree to work on this site/scripts for one year, for an agreed fee, to try and create at least some good results from this transaction, since you know all about the good things as well as the bad things about this deal?
    Thanks

mytechiestuff, Mar 9, 2015 IP
  13. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    The software was created for me, and the site script is WP, so there really isn't anything for me to do. The new owner would presumably change anything they don't like into something they do like.

asmodeus, Mar 9, 2015 IP
  14. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    Just thought I should add that the 2nd website (the .net) is a straight html template, so no script or database needed. Simply replace my Paypal with yours, at whatever price point you decide, and you're good to go :)

asmodeus, Mar 11, 2015 IP
  15. MyVodaFone

MyVodaFone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    Your second site gives the code away for doing nothing... maybe that something you did recently? or perhaps the reason for no sales?

http://www.superarcademachine.net/free-games.html

Either way good luck with the sale.

MyVodaFone, Mar 13, 2015 IP
  16. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    It gives away the code to unlock it in exchange for the user doing a CPA offer, if they are from a supported country. Not many were done that way, as most people chose to just buy it. It was just an extra bit of monetization from the 2nd site (I had the .info as well), but the vast majority of traffic was to the .com, as that is where all the backlinks point to.

asmodeus, Mar 13, 2015 IP
  17. MyVodaFone

MyVodaFone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    I understand what your saying but you don't have to complete any offers, clicking the link returns the code to download in a text file.

Have you clicked the link yourself lately?

MyVodaFone, Mar 13, 2015 IP
  18. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 9
    As Buyer:
    100% - 5
    That's because when I created the content locker for that page 4 years ago it was set to NOT lock if no surveys were available to the visitor's country. It made sense at the time because Cpalead had a stronger locker with more countries covered, but now I'd be more likely to use Cpagrip on it, and I'd advise the new owner to do that as well, or scrap using CPA altogether. The heyday of CPA ended a couple years ago, but that's a whole other thread...lol

asmodeus, Mar 13, 2015 IP
  19. am-fs

am-fs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 14
    Paid and Refunded
    Owner decided to not sell the site after 2 weeks on the market ..... wasted my time!

am-fs, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  20. am-fs

am-fs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 14
    asmodeus ......... Cancel all bids since this auction was closed and there is no winner.

am-fs, Mar 17, 2015 IP