1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Giving Away Traffic?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SEOBoss, Feb 23, 2015.

I am curious about this since long. I know this forum since 2006 and once it used to be a very high traffic forum. Sadly, the traffic seems to be dropping gradually and loosing users if we believe in stats provided by Alexa or Semrush.

Homepage of Digital point is giving away traffic to other sites and content (although relevant and helpful). Why is that? Isn't it bad idea from SEO and user retention point of view? What is main reason this forum is loosing its active user base? Social media may be?

SEOBoss, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  2. mikebvm

mikebvm Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is a relative ranking system, it could be that other sites are simply more popular now than they used to be.

mikebvm, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The Alexa toolbar tends to be installed in countries where the traffic quality is low, and since we started actively mitigating low quality traffic, the Alexa numbers have gone done, but *actual* numbers have gone up (with the more traffic coming from English speaking countries and less traffic coming from places like China, Pakistan, Indonesia, etc. where the Alexa toolbar has a higher install percentage). Some info on it over here:

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/being-recognized-by-3-people.2636788/#post-18461129

digitalpoint, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  4. izlik

izlik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So in other words you are saying that the forum is doing quite well! ;)

izlik, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, that's always subjective... I never think anything I do is good enough, so better is always welcome by any measure. :)

But am I freaking out about losing low quality traffic that we have been trying to get rid of for years? Not particularly. :)

digitalpoint, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I stop by this forum 3x more than I do by my social media pages. At least I can have an intelligent conversation here ( no offense, my social media friends - :) ).

Indeed, low quality traffic NEVER converts. So there's no point of holding onto it.

qwikad.com, Mar 3, 2015 IP
  7. TB Ann

TB Ann Banned

Best Answers:
    Traffic from non converting countries just adds up to server load so its best just to avoid.

TB Ann, Mar 3, 2015 IP