1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

website with WP blog in subfolder - where should I place .htaccess for a blog

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by bilby, Feb 28, 2015.

I have a site with few static pages and a blog. The blog is WordPress based and it is installed in subfolder. After using caching plugin I discovered .htaccess file in blog subfolder - it is full with caching related instructions. I already have an .htaccess file in the HTML root, this one has some redirects, blocking spam bots, cache expiration instructions, etc.

Now I am confused whether I should merge these 2 .htaccess files into one and place it in HTML root... Basically my question is:
    If I have .htaccess file in the HTML root, will .htaccess file in the blog folder ever be used/loaded? In other words, I am afraid that everything that caching plugin updated in .htaccess file to enable cache will never be read, and as a result, the caching will not work.

Please help to clarify this.

bilby, Feb 28, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The .htaccess file in the blog folder will be used every time your blog page is viewed by a human or bot.

Leave it alone. Do not merge them.

billzo, Feb 28, 2015 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    An .htaccess file in a subfolder overrides a root-folder .htaccess - if there's no overlapping instructions, they'll behave in tandem (unless your host has some very weird settings)

PoPSiCLe, Feb 28, 2015 IP