1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.htaccess for a site with WP blog in subfolder

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by bilby, Feb 27, 2015.

Hello,
    I have a site with few static pages and a blog. The blog is WordPress based and it is installed in subfolder. After using caching plugin I discovered .htaccess file in blog subfolder - it is full with caching related instructions. I already have an .htaccess file in the HTML root, this one has some redirects, blocking spam bots, cache expiration instructions, etc.

Now I am confused whether I should merge these 2 .htaccess files into one and place it in HTML root... Basically my question is:
    If I have .htaccess file in the HTML root, will .htaccess file in the blog folder ever be used/loaded? In other words, I am afraid that everything that caching plugin updated in .htaccess file to enable cache will never be read, and as a result, the caching will not work.

Please help to clarify this.

bilby, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  2. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    the htaccess in your blog folder will be loaded when you navigate to the blog directory of your site. likely the htaccess files will have code specific to the directory they're in. just leave them how they are.

PDD, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  3. bilby

bilby Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure... Out of curiosity I copied .htaccess from blog folder into the root folder and noticed an improvement in loading time for blog pages.

bilby, Feb 28, 2015 IP