1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Gmail Desktop App Notification?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by MindReality, Feb 26, 2015.

Hi,

Is there an App or Third Party App that I can use to watch for Gmail Desktop Notification? I'm not referring to the Chrome Desktop Notification which requires me to have a Chrome browser Open all the time. I am looking for the kind where it exists as an icon on the task-bar. Google Talk for Windows has been disabled so I am looking for an alternative.

MindReality, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  2. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Pidgin will work on windows. When you set up the google talk/xmpp account go to the settings for your account and "enable mail notifications". Also you can just use any old mail client like thunderbird.

PDD, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Both true, but I myself wouldn't really mind something akin to Gtalk's popup window - Pidgin and Thunderbird just to get a notification seems a bit overkill...

PoPSiCLe, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  4. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    pidgin using gtalk module is almost exactly the same functionality as gtalk. by the same logic you could say that gtalk is overkill just to get a notification, haha.

PDD, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Pidgin installer is 9.2 MB, while GTalk installer is 1.5 MB. GTalk doesn't do anything - it resides in the system tray and pops up a tiny alert whenever there's new mail (and allowed you to talk to other users, of course). The point isn't that it more or less does the same, it's just a bit annoying that there isn't a simple, stand-alone product available that just shows you alerts for new mail in Gmail. I'm sure it's possible to not setup Pidgin with any accounts besides the Gmail(s) you need (not sure if it's possible to show more than one?), but it's still overkill.

6. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah that's cause pidgin has a bunch of different clients in it. Gtalk is basically just a gmail client with the xmpp chat integrated, same as pidgin. But I agree that it would be nice to have just a standalone client for notifications. By the way it is possible to set up more than one gtalk client with pidgin (I don't think even gtalk can do that?). Although I think using any mail client is miles better than using pidgin or gtalk. It also saves you the trouble of logging into gmail to read/write emails.

PDD, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  7. Profitup

Profitup Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Did you try gmailnotifier.com ?

Profitup, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  8. MindReality

MindReality Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, Google Talk is no longer supported by Windows. Does Pidgin need Google Talk to work? Or can it work with Gmail directly?

MindReality, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  9. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It works with Gmail directly. No gtalk required.

PDD, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  10. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    I don't use a mail client. Why would I? I do all my email via Gmail or Google Apps (private and business) - they're always logged in in my browser, and Affixa makes them behave like any desktop app in Windows (click a mailto-link or similar, and it pops up a Gmail window) - the point is that even though my browser have them pinned down, it doesn't really show me if there's new mail. And I really don't see the point of having a desktop client running - I use too many computers for that to be practical (yes, I know IMAP syncs, but still...)

Gmailnotifier works, but... again. Why do Google have to remove functionality that is appreciated by their users - why can't they just move them to development limbo, and allow anyone who still want to use the functionality do that. (Not really Gtalk, more Google Reader. I still miss that).

11. MindReality

MindReality Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How do I use it with Gmail directly? I installed Pidgin and add account but the options only shows Google talk, no Gmail.

MindReality, Feb 28, 2015 IP
  12. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    go to the settings for your account and "enable mail notifications"

PDD, Feb 28, 2015 IP