1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is CSS level 4 standard?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by goliarth, Feb 27, 2015.

Last week I wrote a lot of CSS4. And I really don't know what think abut this. In one way is good that css is developing very fast. And in other site new marks, new functions it is really necessary to website ? Some advices?

goliarth, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly from what I've seen of it, MOST of it seems to be the same "let's piss all over web development" BS that HTML 5 is. Pointless crap that has NO business on websites, or simply exists so that authors can slap a new title on their old book, professional lecturers can use to put buns in seats, and for know-nothing suits to banter about as a sick buzzword around the water cooler.

More of it seems to be the type of bullshit people who write fat bloated disasters of stylesheet hell will like, the same type of mouth-breathing asshattery that are the staples of people who think OOCSS makes sense, or seem to think garbage like "preprocessors" do anything but piss all over the code making it MORE complex for no good reason. (Yes LESS and SASS fans, I'm looking at you!)

Of course, that browser support is effectively nonexistent at this point and it's not even considered a draft yet, there's no real point in trying to use it in a production environment. Some of it's fun to play with, but really most of it doesn't do anything I would consider useful in a design...

Well, except perhaps being able to have non-parallelogram wrapping of text around content elements. That's WAY overdue.

deathshadow, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  3. tastysites

tastysites Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You really need to stick with CSS3 for now. It will be years before CSS4 is supported.

tastysites, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  4. LTheme

LTheme Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    CSS selectors are now categorized into two groups: fast and complete. Fast selectors are those selectors appropriate for use in a dynamic CSS engine. Complete selectors are appropriate for use in cases where being as fast as possible isn’t necessarily a problem, document.querySelector,
    If you are eager to play with richer selectors in your css (including many of these) check out hitchjs, it provides a prollyfill engine that allows you to use additonal/proposed selectors like these in your CSS.

Its worth noting a few things on your article: Work on CSS 3 began more than a decade ago, and it included some of these selector ideas (even in more powerful forms) way back then. Lots and lots of stuff didn't ultimately make it. For a year or two there has been a Selectors Level 4 wiki / draft and there is even now a selectors level 5+ wiki. Keep in mind that CSS itself is now modular, so there is no sense at which point you will have "CSS 4".

LTheme, Mar 3, 2015 IP