1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

should i start file sharing website this days ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by DarkMatrix, Feb 21, 2015.

Well
    I was running file sharing 3 years ago now I'm thinking to start again so my question is "is it worth to start file sharing website this day?"

DarkMatrix, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  2. Martin Bariak

Martin Bariak Peon

Best Answers:
    If you think that you can offer something that others can't, sure, go ahead.

Martin Bariak, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  3. BMR777

BMR777 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would be hesitant to start a file sharing website due to the current climate in the industry. You have the takedown of Megaupload as well as the recent announcement that Rapidshare, one of the biggest file sharing sites ever, is closing. If you're creating a site where users share files with each other, you have to consider that if you become popular you may be a target of the Movie / Music industries. Furthermore, your options for making revenue are limited. If you try to support the site with ads, you may not be able to find advertisers since a lot of ad companies are now excluding file sharing sites due to pressure from copyright companies. If you charge for premium memberships, copyright companies can then use that against you, just like they did with Megaupload and say you are directly profiting from infringement.

Unless you've got a plan to keep your site free of copyrighted material uploaded by users, if it grows at all popular it will soon be a target of the media industry.

BMR777, Feb 21, 2015 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  4. King-Servers

King-Servers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    File sharing industry is very competitive now and with all the piracy rules, many hosting providers do not allow it. If you still think you can grow your website, go for offshore hosting, probably in Sweden as they ignore DMCA.

King-Servers, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  5. DarkMatrix

DarkMatrix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks both of you for really good advice :)

DarkMatrix, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  6. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think you can start just about any site, provided you have incredibly deep pockets behind you for marketing, and this is what it comes down to. But seeing the competition, vs the risks, vs the potiential reward, I wouldnt think its a good idea.

BMR777, has an interesting point. With megaupload, the guy was in NewZealand and even though he had lawyers, he was still pulled to the US to face charges, and a similar story with other sites.

matt_62, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  7. DarkMatrix

DarkMatrix Active Member

Best Answers:
    @matt_62
    yes actually i had two option file sharing and coupon site after reading all this and honest opinions of your i'm moving with coupon site

DarkMatrix, Feb 22, 2015 IP
  8. steveyjay

steveyjay Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been thinking the same thing.

steveyjay, Feb 22, 2015 IP
  9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you failed at a File Sharing web site (which I'm sure did if you no longer own it) why start it once again in a different online economy? Move on to something new.

NetStar, Feb 22, 2015 IP
  10. Eitan Kuniz

Eitan Kuniz Member

Best Answers:
    You need a file sharing website that make people worth it to use. Something that no other file sharing website has.

Eitan Kuniz, Mar 19, 2015 IP