1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to open website using it's dedicated IP address?

Discussion in 'Apache' started by ameran, Feb 12, 2015.

Hi,
    I have a VPS and run few websites. I am not good in Apache and Linux. I just got a dedicated IP address for one of my domains. I like that the website opens just by typing the IP address in the address bar of the browser. How can I activate that?

I really appreciate it,
    ameran

ameran, Feb 12, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Uhm... why would you want to type the IP-address? Isn't it better to just type the domain-name? And just set up DNS and the host-file to access the correct domain?

PoPSiCLe, Feb 13, 2015 IP
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Take a look at the Apache documentation (I assume you are using Apache) and you can get some ideas of how to modify your vhosts file so a particular site will answer for an IP address. Are you using WHM/cPanel? If so, then it would be a more complicated process.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/examples.html

billzo, Feb 13, 2015 IP
  4. ameran

ameran Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can type the domain name and go the website, but I was thinking that I could type the dedicated IP address and visit the site as well. I thought that is good for SEO that the search engines know the IP address and index the page through that.

ameran, Feb 13, 2015 IP
  5. ashika2015

ashika2015 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To communicate with the system we have use the machine IP address but it is difficult to remind.So we are using DNS . I think that DNS is the easiest way to search.

ashika2015, Feb 13, 2015 IP
  6. linux7802

linux7802 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have already assigned new dedicated ip to your domain in the named and httpd.conf file, than you will be able to access the dedicated ip directly into the browser but if your index page is defined on domain base than it could be possible that your ip will redirect to your domain and you will see domain name in the browser , in that case try to create simple test.html page and browse it using ip address.

Note : Also check your .htaccess file if there is any rule configured for your domain or index file, if yes than try to rename ir like .htaccess-back and than browse ip :)

linux7802, Feb 18, 2015 IP