1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to start and monetize a blog from scratch?

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by Content Maestro, Jan 31, 2015.

I plan to start a new blog mainly to spread the word about my writing services. (Though I've written for other blogs, I don't have my own at the moment.) As such, the blog will be limited only to my writing services. To make it more popular and visible, I'm thinking of putting up content that embraces other niches as well. However, I don't have an exact idea of which niches to begin with. Maybe, starting with popular ones as health and fitness, business and finance, IM etc. is a good idea, but I'm not really sure about it.

My questions:
    1. When you're unclear about what to put up on your blog, which strategy do you generally adopt to start blogging from scratch? I mean strategy that pertains only to written content.
    2. Which niches do you think are the most popular ones or have the potential to generate more traffic as compared to others?
    3. Which type of blog performs better according to you? One that's based on a single niche or several affiliated niches or the one deals with multiple and diverse topics that necessarily DON'T have any connection with each other?
    4. What are the BEST ways to monetize your blog? Selling space for ads or signing up for affiliate programs that give the blog owner a cut or commission are ways almost everyone knows. Any other ways not so commonplace, yet can fetch some good income through your blog?
    5. Is selling unique, good-quality and original blog posts a good idea to make money? If yes, what's the normal procedure to do it?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.:)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Content Maestro, Jan 31, 2015 IP
  2. HostHub.io

HostHub.io Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello! You could make a blog that offers several topics but that are still somehow connected. As for the making money part, yes, placing ads seems to be a good idea. But at first you should get the blog going and if it has a really good evolution maybe you will be lucky enough to get some affiliating proposals. Good luck!

HostHub.io, Feb 3, 2015 IP
  3. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks @HostHub.io.:) So do companies offering affiliate sign-up programs accept your request (for affiliation) only if your site/blog has a good traffic?

Content Maestro, Feb 3, 2015 IP
  4. Viktor Mauzer

Viktor Mauzer Member

Best Answers:
    I can answer some of your questions, but not all of them. Anybody willing to help, please fill in the blanks :)

1. When I started my blog, I started writing about things I'm good at and things which inspired me or were entertaining to me and I went from that. Some tips about what you do and generally give some kind of value to people before you ask anything else of them.

2. As for niches, health and fitness is always popular (there are lots of good affiliate programs for that as well) or gadgets if you're in that kind of thing. People love reading and talking about new gadgets. Internet Marketing is a good niche, but maybe a little too much competition if you're just starting out (my opinion)

3. More related niches are good because you can reach out to a wider audience. If you have too many completely different niches on your blog, it's confusing and untidy. Better stick to related niches.

4. At the beginning, try affiliate programs and then sell ad space later because ad space works best if you have lots of visitors. When you're just starting out, small amount of visitors are going to get you more with affiliate programs than with ads.

5. As for selling unique blog posts, I'm not really sure. Maybe :) If somebody had experiences with this, please tell us, I'm interested in that as well.

Hope this helps. It makes sense to me and it has been working out for me so far ;)

Viktor Mauzer, Feb 3, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  5. aniblow

aniblow Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. To start blogging from scratch, you generally
    go a niche you naturally love and find out if some
    other blogs are already making money from the same
    niche.

2. I would say, the 3 mega niches...
    Health/Fitness, Business/Money and
    Dating/Relationship. Any sub of those niches is
    okay. And of course you could consider irrational
    passions like sports betting.

3. I think niche-focused blogs perform better and
    are easier to monetize. You establish yourself as
    an authority in the niche and are able to
    effectively convert the attention from your
    readers into cash.

4. There are so many ways to monetize a blog. I
    wouldn't advice you to do ppc ads. They make you
    work too much. You can start with affiliate
    products and create your own products down (money
    spinner) the line. To make money selling ad space,
    you would need to have a good number of regular
    readers.

5. Don't know what you mean by selling blog posts.
    If it is writing blog posts for people, I don't
    think it has any leverage as compared to creating
    your own blog that continues to pay you even if
    you don't create content for months.

aniblow, Feb 3, 2015 IP
  6. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Actually, even I'm not so clear about this one. I have seen many folks here offering to sell and buy blog posts - https://www.digitalpoint.com/search/27456617/?q=blog+post&o=date&c[title_only]=1. So, I just threw that question.:)
    Anyway, I see your point that instead of creating and selling blog posts to others, it's better not to do it if your blog is fetching you good money without being updated with new content frequently.

7. aniblow

aniblow Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, if you take the time to build a blog,
    you can earn GOOD residual income.

aniblow, Feb 3, 2015 IP
  8. wordslinger

wordslinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you got the answers for the first 4 queries.
    Buying and selling a blogpost is the easiest way to earn money easily and after making a blog, you need to increase the authority by doing some SEO and link building tactics. And tada, you can sale links of your blogs by posting threads on different forums. Doing this, will help you earn some good amount of money and top notch quality content.

wordslinger, Feb 3, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and flanagan like this.
  9. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your input @wordslinger.:) How exactly do you 'sell links of your blogs'? Sorry about that, but I'm a bit new to some of these things.

10. wordslinger

Best Answers:
    There is nothing to be sorry about, it's totally fine. You can sell the links of your blogs through Guest post, Sponsored post, Blog post, Blogroll.

wordslinger, Feb 4, 2015 IP
  11. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Haha! I'm actually a near complete noob to making money from a blog. So, my questions might sound too obvious, basic and/or stupid.:)
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries. Your inputs help a lot. Cheers.:)

Content Maestro, Feb 4, 2015 IP
  12. wordslinger

Best Answers:
    Today's noob can be the expert of tomorrow. I hope I helped you. :)

wordslinger, Feb 4, 2015 IP
  13. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Yah, you certainly helped a lot.:) This thread is my first step to become an expert in blog monetizing.;)

Content Maestro, Feb 4, 2015 IP
  14. HostHub.io

HostHub.io Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Usually, they seek someone who has a little "power", to bring them some benefits, too. Is marketing and business after all. All the best and good luck!

HostHub.io, Feb 6, 2015 IP
  15. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Quite agree. No one will sign you up unless they too benefit out of the traffic or following you've. I feel they seek someone will 'little power' so that the business can be conducted mostly according to their T&C. So, it's in the enrollee's best interest to sign up ONLY for the high-paying and trustworthy affiliate programs.
    Thanks and good luck to you as well.:)

Content Maestro, Feb 6, 2015 IP
  16. Blogwizard

Blogwizard Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. Choose a niche that you enjoy, and you think you'll be good at. That way you don't burn out, and your articles will have enthusiasm and quality. Your audience will notice. If you have something you want to be good at, you can blog about that. This means youre more eager to learn, study, research etc and you articles will be high quality.

2. When you have a niche, you want to find other similar blogs in that niche. Use alltop.com or google for it. Once you know the top blogs in your niche, you'll want to find the articles that have the most views/shares from that blog. Use buzzsumo.com or socialcrawlytics.com for that. The point here is to see what type of articles the audience like, so you can focus on those to start with. You can also rewrite them with updated information, as some can be quite outdated.

3. Stick to a single niche. Don't be too broad. If you like internet marketing, choose either Traffic, Conversions or Seo etc. Don't be broad. You can always expand later on if you want, but only when you have a big audience.

4. Many ways to monetize. Adsense, selling ebooks, selling affiliates. Don't put this as a concern for now, you want to build traffic first. This will just distract you.

5. Never heard of selling blog posts, but you can put your top blog posts into an ebook, and sell that, or use it as a lead magnet to generate email signups.The way to get rich from blogging will most likely be from your email list.

Blogwizard, Feb 7, 2015 IP