1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google and D**g interaction?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Anita, Dec 12, 2006.

I know D**g.com can be a bad word in some of these forums (replace ** with 'ig' if you aren't sure what I'm talking about), but I was just wondering why there would be an interaction between it and Google.

On Sunday, a post on my site got d**g. The traffic (~30,000 uniques) didn't surprise me (and I'm now back to my regular daily traffic), but what really surprised me was that Google traffic has since skyrocketed.

I had been getting about 100 visitors per day from Google, but now I'm receiving about 500. None of these visitors are searching for anything related to the d**g post, so what would cause this?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm just a complete newbie to optimizing traffic from Google.

Anita, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I can imagine Google considers it like a human reviewed, quality link so why not use that publicly available data to help their algorithm?

It's like getting a link from CNN or the BBC - Google trusts them to link only to quality sources so they bump you up at least temporarily on the premise you are newsworthy.

T0PS3O, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  3. JoshuaGross

JoshuaGross Peon

Best Answers:
    30,000 visits also PROBABLY resulted in at least a few linkbacks, it would seem.

JoshuaGross, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  4. Ohene

Ohene Guest

Best Answers:
    whats the link that got digged via digg.com?

Ohene, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  5. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    you need to look at the logs and see which keyphrases are being searched for.

sometimes it can be surprisingly simple. say they saw your page on digg earlier than tried to search for it, either by the keywords they remember associated with it or the site title itself.

backlinks would help but you won't see those changes immediately; it'll take a few days, maybe a week.

disgust, Dec 12, 2006 IP
    kh7 likes this.
  6. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    The only explanation I can see is that some blogs that google crawls a lot linked to you - because they liked the Digged post.

kh7, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  7. Anita

Anita Peon

Best Answers:
    It was this golf ball explosion post. On my humor site (see my signature).

The keywords that REALLY went up in search were for combinations of geometry with other words and "prank names". Neither of these had anything to do with my golf ball post.

Anita, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  8. Ohene

Ohene Guest

Best Answers:
    oh yeah .. say no to crack :D

Ohene, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  9. ThisGoatStarves

ThisGoatStarves Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I wouldn't say that there isn't exclusive interaction between Google and Digg, rather the linkbacks will obviously effect all search engines which factor it into their algo.

ThisGoatStarves, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  10. hdpinn

hdpinn Peon

Best Answers:
    Spiders/scrapers from random people possibly? Anybody can put any referrer they want in a page access via a script.... in other words, they may not be coming from google at all.

hdpinn, Dec 13, 2006 IP