1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which site is the best for music promotion?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by adolfy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. 5starpr

5starpr Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    All of the above stated are good choices. Start with all and push the ones that you are getting action from.

5starpr, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  2. TommyBWoodall

TommyBWoodall Member

Best Answers:
    Soundcloud and Reverbnation are best sites for music promotions. YouTube also could be used for this purpose.

TommyBWoodall, Jan 10, 2015 IP
  3. liviaugusta

liviaugusta Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've never tried personally, but there's an app called Apploud for short music videos. If you are performing somewhere, you can try that one.

http://www.snugsocial.com/2015/01/15/apploud-the-app-to-tip-musicians

liviaugusta, Jan 15, 2015 IP
    Brent Jones likes this.
  4. Brent Jones

Brent Jones Active Member

Best Answers:
    Brent Jones, Jan 20, 2015 IP
  5. Robin Dewar

Robin Dewar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm an independent musician and I've been networking with other indies on social networks to find out what works. Here's the general (obviously results vary) consensus:

1. Soundcloud, Reverbnation and the other music promotion/social platforms are not good for selling (I know that sounds odd but I'll explain). These sites suffer from the old problem of being populated by musicians trying to sell their music, not music lovers looking to buy. They are still good for finding other local bands to gig with (tap into their fan base) and also for feedback on song ideas and development. I think they also allow you to post your songs on social networks and, though there are other ways to achieve that, it can be handy.

2. Whether you choose to go with the above types of sites or not the promotion is still up to you and that normally means gigging + social network follower building (sorry... magic button for indie artists still hasn't been invented though Soundcloud & Co would like you to believe it has).

3. You're best off with a self-hosted website + a service like bandcamp (came highly recommended) as bandcamp will allow you to get your music distributed and available on Amazon, iTunes etc. If you don't know anything about self-hosting then bandcamp is also a good website option.

4. For promoting yourself on social networks Twitter is awesome for music, Facebook is obviously very good though you can't build there through follow/unfollow and so will need to spend a little on FB ads. Surprisingly Google+ is fantastic and if you use a tool like circloscope you can build thousands of followers very fast there. To give you an idea, my band had 3.5 thousand active and engaged followers between G+ and Twitter alone (one account on each) before we even posted ANY of our music. Just through follow/unfollow (I use Tweet Adder for Twitter by the way) and posting about famous musicians in our niche, plus some of our lyrics. Now that might not be a buying fanbase... but when we started to release our music we had a 'seed following' who reshared our stuff and we got precious virality... also by having thousands of followers venues etc took us seriously.

5. Goes without saying... Youtube is a must.

6. Get emails from everywhere. At every gig (or busking) get as many email addresses as you can, have a song that you will send to people for free who give their email address, ultimately the email list is your business because social networks can delete your account at will.

7. One last tip. Using apps like Tweet Adder for Twitter (it's the industry leader as far as I can see) and also targeted Facebook ads you are able to target users by location. When we started to share our music we also started to hit people in our local city. When we started gigging we filled small venues (of course friends and family helped at the start as well) and so they loved us and wanted us back. Gigging locally being smart with getting email addresses/handing out flyers about your band with social accounts on them is your lifeblood.

There you go... probably more than you wanted and less than you need :)

Robin Dewar, Jan 20, 2015 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  6. Breakthrough Psy

Breakthrough Psy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

My understanding is that MySpace is one of the premier music distribution platforms. However, the key question is "How Do You Connect" with others in order to promote your website's page?

My suggestions are as follows:

1. Content Pages (Blog/Text).

Creating text-based content that is relevant to your music genre is a key factor, because the more text-based content you can produce (i.e. blogging), the more easily Google will be able to discover your site and serve your page to people who are interested in your music. Google will not be able to direct searchers to your audio pages unless they include text terms. That could include song titles, lyrics, tags, or even a daily blog about what your "BAND NAME" is doing. Be certain to write about what people are looking for, and do this consistently.

2. Networking.

One question that I would ask is: Are you posting on forums that are related specifically to your music niche? If you are posting in forums that are primarily focused upon marketing, science, or geography, there is a reduced likelihood that you will successfully connect with people who could link to your page. Why? Because they are not necessarily looking for what you have to offer. Go to the place where a demand for your music exists, be the best, and engage on dialog with others. This will develop awareness and eventually traffic for your page when done correctly.

3. Paid Ads.

Paid ads are one way to drive traffic to your band's page, but they require a high up-front cost, and the results may or may not produce long-term benefits. Generally, once you stop paying for advertisements, the traffic that they generated will drop precipitously. Theoretically, you could be extremely effective at driving traffic to a specific page that is ready to become an overnight viral song spread amongst millions of online users. However, this is a high-risk endeavor, so I do not necessarily recommend this as a first step.

4. Affiliate Marketing.

Provided that you are offering high-quality self-produced music, you may certainly find some folks in the Affiliate Marketing world that are interested in distributing your product for a shared commission on the sale. Although I am certainly not an expert on Affiliate Marketing for Music, you could find some interesting resources at the following link: http://www.tunecore.com/guides/promote_gettingstarted

Best,

Erik

Breakthrough Psy, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  7. nidhish

nidhish Member

Best Answers:
    Really ? Myspace is getting bigger ? i thought it was dead years ago ..:)

nidhish, Jan 21, 2015 IP
    Brent Jones likes this.
  8. nidhish

nidhish Member

Best Answers:
    Soundcloud will be really good for you , but if you wish to get a good exposure Youtube will be also good option for you .

nidhish, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  9. ChristopherCarman

ChristopherCarman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sound cloud is better.

ChristopherCarman, Feb 3, 2015 IP
  10. Ganer

Ganer Banned

Best Answers:
    Youtube and soundcloud . Youtube is good because now is connected to google+ so you can share it there too and ofc on FB and twitter . Try also Deezer

Ganer, Feb 3, 2015 IP
  11. JackjenHilton

JackjenHilton Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    YOUTUBE! That's the best option

JackjenHilton, Feb 4, 2015 IP
  12. Brent Jones

Brent Jones Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol Me too.

That would really be something if Myspace made a giant comeback.

Brent Jones, Feb 5, 2015 IP
  13. Atikur

Atikur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'll go with 2 You tube and sound cloud.

Atikur, Feb 5, 2015 IP
  14. rjaks

rjaks Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Undoubtedly it's SoundCloud. Just google it. It's a trendsetter in this field.

rjaks, Feb 6, 2015 IP
  15. masterbusiness

masterbusiness Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes sound cloud would be great yet Youtube would be better considering its popularity. Youtube also showcase ways that help you promote more of your music like tags or descriptions. Facebook would also be a great social media for music promotion also considering its popularity.

masterbusiness, Apr 28, 2015 IP
  16. AdequateContent

AdequateContent Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd give thumbs up to SoundCloud.

AdequateContent, Apr 28, 2015 IP
  17. spacehades

spacehades Active Member

Best Answers:
    SoundCloud is the top first in music industry.

spacehades, May 8, 2015 IP