1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A delicate question

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Mirodenia, Jan 16, 2015.

Hi,

I have a delicate question to ask you.
    I live and work in Romania and want, for some years,to start selling Ebooks over the internet. Made research and now I am ready. I am afraid people will not buy from me because I am from Romania and this is not fair but I have to handle the situation. Can I hide my place or contact details from the customers? For sure my sales will not be the same.
    Thank you for your help.

Mirodenia, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  2. King-Servers

King-Servers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I dont think your location would matter to the customers. How are you planning to sell the ebook? Through your own website or going to list on other websites?

King-Servers, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I suppose it would not be a bad business move, especially if you want to target countries outside of Romania (especially English speaking ones). I don't see a problem with that. It's not like you will be telling lies. All you want to do is hide your location and contact details. However, if asked "Where are you selling your e-books from?" or "Where are you located?" you should always give an honest answer.

qwikad.com, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  4. action7777

action7777 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Absolutely no problem with your origin country, my friend live in Russia and sells ebooks worldwide via Amazon. Just try. Good luck!

action7777, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  5. Mirodenia

Mirodenia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, thanks for your nice thoughts.
    To answer to your question: First I plan to start with other websites and after a while or maybe in parallel to launch my own online ebook shop. I am thinking that I can benefit of other websites ranking like Ebay or Amazon in the first stage. I know I am not ashame with my country, I am thinking only that Americans for example will rather buy from an American. Of course, depend on the topic, price, cover... but still...

Mirodenia, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  6. Alex Leizerovich

Alex Leizerovich Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about Amazon or eBay.
    But I know that in the Internet marketing niche for example it doesnt matter at all.
    I know a few guys from India, Singapore, Europe and many other countries that are doing great with selling ebooks.
    They built their own email list and use their real country and nobody really cares.
    This might be more relevant if shipping involved.

Alex Leizerovich, Jan 16, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  7. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Trust me OP, this 'native and non-native' bull hasn't got much to do with how successful you're at selling your material. DON'T delude yourself into thinking that people will buy ONLY from their own countrymen and reject you just because you're not a native speaker and/or writer of their language. It's nothing more than a mental roadblock.

Most of it depends on the type of audience you're targeting. Native writers are generally preferred when the subject in question is (highly) specific to a particular area. E.g., I am from the UK and wanna buy an ebook that describes the effects of UK government's latest financial plans on the daily life of an average UK citizen from 'their' personal perspective. This topic is something a person living in UK can best comprehend and explain. So, in this case, I would normally prefer to go for a book that's written by a native of UK. However, note that it reflects NOTHING on the lack of ability of other writers to produce such type of content; it's simply a limitation that comes due to not living in that specific area. A non-native writer who's willing to put in the necessary time and effort to produce content of same quality can write just as good.

The problem sometimes is also at the buyer's end where some people are more or less obsessed with the “native” tag! E.g., an English book authored by a 'Henry Williams' of UK or a 'Mark Bennet' of US who doesn't really have the required qualification and experience to write, is bound to attract more customers in such a market than the same book written by a 'Kamalnath Rajshekhar' of India who has completed his master's degree in creative writing/English literature summa cum laude from Delhi University. However, this portion of the market is not very large and once you're able to prove there that you're a good writer, your sales will increase without much trouble.

BTW, I've seen some really good English writers from non-English speaking nations while there are some native writers who just can't write to save their life!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Content Maestro, Jan 17, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  8. Breakthrough Psy

Breakthrough Psy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Folks,

Yes - I agree with Content Maestro. The location of your business does not matter. The key to developing a successfull online business that can perform well in the U.S. and throughout the world is to ensure that your English is impeccable.

Three Steps To Appealing to U.S. & British Audiences:

Step 1: Hire an American or British copy-editor to proof-read and edit your website and E-books.

Step 2: Hire an American or British copy-WRITER to develop a blog that is written in American and British English.

Step 3: DO NOT STOP. You must have Native English writers if you expect to appeal to an English-speaking audience. Do not write the copy yourself without a native English speaker, because your English is not yet 100%, and Americans/British will detect that and leave the page.

Find English Speakers Here: You can check Elance . com to find people in the U.S. and Britain that will proof-read your current website and e-book or completely re-write your content for you. They usually charge hourly.

Danger When Hiring: If you choose to hire an American or British-speaker, be certain that they live in the US or Britain. The reason for this is that many people from India or other nations will claim that they are fluent in English, but they are not. Native English speakers can detect a foreign copy-writer immdiately, and that is what matters. Not your IP location - Your fluency in English.

Does this make sense?

Best,

Erik

Breakthrough Psy, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  9. Raife

Raife Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally literature should be valued by its content. I feel that if you were to release a novel which drives my imagination, then I would buy it. That's my thoughts any how...

Raife, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  10. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is true that americans would rather buy from americans when it comes to digital content. This is true only for physical goods.
    I live in the US and have done business with romanians for web design and programming.
    If you present yourself in a professional manner and you offer ebooks that are considered good values, people will buy from you regardless of where you are.

ablaye, Jan 21, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and Content Maestro like this.
  11. Raife

Raife Active Member

Best Answers:

I agree! Absolutely. If you offer good novels at a reasonable price and help people to recognise your presence then I don't see why you wouldnt be successful!

Raife, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  12. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Content Maestro said it best for you, don't get into such mental roadblocks! The "native" tag is becoming of less and less importance when it comes to content compared to online services for example. Americans seem to have a bad taste in their mouth mainly from outsourced support services , dealing live with people over chats/phones. Years ago, when I was working with another hosting company, at least once a day I had to deal with a grumpy American who doesn't want to receive my support because he/she can hear my accent over the phone. And that is right in the beginning of the conversation, BEFORE they even try and explain their issue. Fast forward to the present days, with my current host I very rarely have such conversations.

With content the boundaries are even thinner. I think you will very much relate to my example as I am neighboring you from Bulgaria and I frequently do some freelance content writing, copywriting etc. One of the places I use for that is oDesk. Now, in oDesk when someone posts a job ad, they can add Native Speaker as a requirement for the job. The thing is that this does not stop non-native speakers to apply. So, whenever I see a nice offering that fits me, I always apply, regardless if the job has such a requirement or not. Some people do reply back or hire me. At the end of the day none of them was left dissatisfied (at least to my knowledge) because I am a professional and I am looking to give them what they ask AND more. It doesn't matter that I am far away from them and their lifestyle. Doesn't matter that I wasn't born a George, Mike or Sam and I can't name the 50 states and their capitals. All it matters is they got what they were looking for presented in a way that their audience can relate to.

I have one principle in life that I am very insistent of applying whenever I can. When you start a new venture, regardless of its nature, always start it with a positive attitude. Negativity will bring you halfway to failure even if you have a great set of skills and knowledge. So always be positive, take hits with a smile on your face and strive to move forward.

Best of luck with the book ;)

Rado_ch, Jan 21, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  13. Mirodenia

Mirodenia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you neighbour and friends for all your nice words and encouragements.
    It is not negativity but concern.
    Kisses.

Have a nice day everybody!

Mirodenia, Jan 22, 2015 IP
  14. Mirodenia

Mirodenia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Where are the Like buttons located on profiles? I can't find them.

15. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You might want to reconsider that if and when you meet me in person.;)
    That's off-topic really but check this page for help – https://www.digitalpoint.com/help/established. You have to be an Established Member first to be able to like others' posts.

Good luck with the book.:)

Content Maestro, Jan 22, 2015 IP
  16. Mirodenia

Mirodenia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hahaha. Thanks. Have a nice day!