1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submit Questions for My Podcast for Writers

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jhmattern, Dec 8, 2014.

I recently launched a podcast for writers. You can hear past episodes at http://allindiewriters.com/podcast/.

In most episodes I tackle at least one question submitted by listeners or readers of my blog. I'm currently looking for new question submissions for future episodes. You can submit them at the link above (via contact form, email, or voicemail), or you can post them here and I'll try to check this thread periodically. I answer one question in most bi-weekly episodes, so I can't guarantee that I'll get to all of them. If I can't squeeze them in, I'm also open to answering them on the blog (which I do more often).

Questions can cover anything related to freelance writing (content writing, copywriting, marketing yourself as a writer, etc.), blogging (for clients or for yourself), or indie publishing.

Ask away! :)

jhmattern, Dec 8, 2014 IP
    usemyteam likes this.
  2. Alex Toll

Alex Toll Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a question:
    Do you think that being a copywriter, as a solo entrepreneur, is viable in today's economy, given that people are now more interested in complex solutions for their content needs (design + promotion + SMM + SEO)?

Alex Toll, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Alex. My next episode is Thursday of next week (December 18th). I'll include this in that episode. :)

But for now, the short answer is "yes." ;)

jhmattern, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  4. Alex Toll

Alex Toll Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out:)

Alex Toll, Dec 10, 2014 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have never written an ebook before and expect, therefore, that I would have to publish and market it myself. If I were to write one, it would be of high quality and targeted to IT types. The biggest reason that I have not done anything with this idea is that I have no concept of whether revenues from an ebook would justify my time. Any range of results or potential expectations for a first, independently published ebook that you are aware of that could help me make such a decision?

jrbiz, Dec 18, 2014 IP
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    jrbiz -- I'm just about to kick off my holiday vacation through the end of December, but I'd be happy to answer this for you in the January 1st podcast episode. :)

Alex -- I haven't put it up at All Indie Writers yet, but the podcast episode featuring your question is now up on Soundcloud. I hope it helps! :)

https://soundcloud.com/jennmattern/episode-5-taking-a-break-from-your-blog

jhmattern, Dec 18, 2014 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, thanks. Hopefully, I will remember to check or perhaps you can put a note here when it goes live. Enjoy the holidays!

jrbiz, Dec 18, 2014 IP
  8. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Will do. And you too! :)

jhmattern, Dec 18, 2014 IP
  9. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    jrbiz -- I postponed the Jan 1st podcast episode due to my vacation, and it will go live this Thursday. Would you like me to mention your real name? If so, please send that to me by Tuesday (here or via the contact form at http://allindiewriters.com/contact). Otherwise I'll just mention your handle here on the forum. Thanks!

jhmattern, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  10. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OK, a question from me too.

Which writing categories are generally more profitable/lucrative and which are not?
    E.g. we all know that:
    1) Writing articles doesn't fetch any decent money nowadays. Composing blog posts is a bit better. Forum posting is as good as dead.
    2) Writing sales copies, business plans etc. is comparatively much higher paying.
    I hope you got my point.

If you could throw a detailed podcast on this one, it would be much appreciated.:)
    Do let me know if and when it's up.

Thanks and regards,
    Content Maestro.

Content Maestro, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Sounds good. :) I already have this episode partially recorded so it'll have to go in the next one. But a quick response:

1. Dead wrong about article writing. ;) There is a lot of money in it for writers who know how to cut it in pro markets. Much more than most blogging gigs even, though blogging also pays exceptionally well. The trick is staying away from traditional webmaster markets and focusing on clients looking for a different kind of value. And networking. Who you know gets more important as you climb into higher pay tiers.

2. Yes, the perception is that business writing pays more. It can pay very well, but so can blogging and other types of article writing. It's just that more writers know how to earn more from that type of work. You'll also find plenty of cheapskate clients on the business writing side who think they should get high converting sales copy for $50 when it might normally go for thousands. You get that in every area of writing. But when you build demand for yourself and you don't keep your standard rates a secret, you can weed most of those prospects out. That's one of the reasons I always suggest publicly posting rates when I'm helping out a new freelancer. I pointed this out in another thread, but it goes back to there being no true "global market" for freelance writers. There are many, many highly targeted markets instead, and one has little to no effect on the others because you're talking about completely different client bases (different goals, motivations, and objections to overcome). When you know which of those markets to target, you've won half the "battle." :)

jhmattern, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  12. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe another detailed podcast on how to do it, I guess …. ;)
    Thanks for your response.:)

Content Maestro, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I run an entire site on that topic. ;)

jhmattern, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  14. 01123581321345589144

01123581321345589144 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thanks for the opportunity. :)

Can you make decent money on places like Squidoo and Hubpages somehow I don't know of? (I've made 1.00 so far out of hours and hours of labor)

What's the best way for a writer to make money?

How can I get my book published (non-fiction, on pedophiles)? Any tips?

Thanks.

01123581321345589144, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    011 -- That's a pretty complex question, and one I've touched on quite a bit on the site already. But I think it would make for a great round-up post (how writers can make money). Would you mind if I tackle that one for you on the blog instead of the podcast?

The question about getting a book published is also very broad. But your options are basically to seek a major publisher, work with a small publisher, or independently publish it. (And I don't mean half-assed self publishing where you slap unedited garbage up on the web with a "POD publishing company" such as AuthorHouse -- instead focus on treating your book like any other business venture, and you take on the costs and responsibilities of being a real publisher.) I suspect your topic would be difficult to get picked up by a publisher unless you're an expert, such as a psychologist with expertise in that specific area (and that's assuming you have an angle that any publisher would touch -- you weren't very clear on that).

jhmattern, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Your question's episode is now live. You can find the show notes and the episode here:
    http://allindiewriters.com/podcast/6/

jhmattern, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @jhmattern I apologize for not replying, but somehow this post did not show up in my alerts or I missed it entirely. There has been a death in the family this week, so things are a bit hectic here. Sorry to have missed your request.

jrbiz, Jan 9, 2015 IP
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent answer and the links were fantastic! Thanks for your help with my question.

jrbiz, Jan 9, 2015 IP
  19. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I'm glad you found the episode helpful. And I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

jhmattern, Jan 10, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have another potential question for you regarding the publishing of ebooks: how are the books protected from theft by copying these days? When ebooks first started, they were mostly just .pdf files and the limited anti-copying security was easy to get around. Has the technology for protecting the ebook's content gotten better?

jrbiz, Jan 15, 2015 IP