1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Only in Belgium

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aquarezz, Jan 6, 2015.

People wondering why Belgium is so special.. well we have some unique people hanging around. There are about 10 million people living in the country and Brussels (the capital) is way much more known than Belgium itself.

Nonetheless, here is one of the famous oldies people living in Belgium. Must check it out, too crazy, haha.

Eugène from Liedekerke is an 87-year old man who, since 1951, still parks his car in a very narrow garage. So narrow that he only has 1,2 inch to spare at either side of the car.
    Luckily for Eugène Fiat has produced the Panda.
    See the video here:

Let me know when you're moving :)

Aquarezz, Jan 6, 2015 IP
    jrbiz and qwikad.com like this.
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I know he only existed in the imagination of Agatha Christie, but there once was an outstanding Belgian - Hercule Poirot who was a truly delightful fella.

[​IMG]

qwikad.com, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Funny video, @Aquarezz ! I wonder how often he ends up scratching the car by not paying close attention after a long day. :)

@qwikad.com , I love his 'stache! I had a handlebar moustache when I was a teenager and it got quite long, but it was all that I do to keep the ends curved in a circle and the wax mostly made a mess. His sculpting is magnificent.

Unfortunately, the only picture that I can think to add to this discussion is below:

brusselssprouts.jpg

Brussels Sprouts! I like them, especially roasted in garlic and oil. Have never been to Belgium, but you never know...

jrbiz, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  4. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, he was!

And haha, I don't like them (and many don't). I only know it's better to cut them in half to make sure your stomach won't hurt after eating them. Many people do like it though, aloung with Luikse Waffles :)

Aquarezz, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  5. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know I am a sucker for Belgian chocolate and as a fan of great architecture and beautiful nature I do enjoy seeing sights from Bruges and Antwerp which I do wish to visit one day ;)

Rado_ch, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    How did I forget Belgian waffles?

Or Belgian chocolate?

I was supposed to attend a conference in Antwerp many years ago, but never made it as the product never got off the ground.

From a business perspective, I did have a medium-sized distributor based in Belgium and they were quite good. Did not see a lot of technology sales from Belgium, itself, but they brought in a lot of Euro's from the Benelux region.

However, were I to spend any extended time there on business, I would need a wider garage. :)

jrbiz, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  7. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    That video is hilarious!

I was born in Belgium (Brugge) and raised in Oost Vlaanderen. I haven't been in Belgium in over 2 decades, but what I miss most is the food. Good bread, good cheese, good chocolate. Even after all these years, I still remember what it tastes like. Last year I found Belgian truffles at amazon and they taste like home :)

Page3, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  8. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Why did you decide to leave Belgium in the first place? Never knew about how good the work opportunities are there so its interesting to see what affects such decisions?

Rado_ch, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  9. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Rado, it was an easy decision. The place where I currently live (and have been for 22 years), is deserted. It takes me 3 hours to walk around the property I live on. During my walk, I'll see deer, groundhogs, chipmunks, squirrels, lots of birds, and a bear on occasion. My closest neighbour is a quarter mile down the road. We get snow from October until the end of April usually. All of this, you can't find it in Belgium, and it's the desolation and being surrounded by nature that I love more than anything else.

Ever since I was old enough to think for myself (and that was very young), I wanted to do 4 things: I wanted to see the world, join a circus, then settle in a remote location, and then travel into space some day. So far, I've managed to realise 3 of my dreams. I didn't actually join a circus, but I did a lot of juggling/magic shows in my day. Just waiting now to win the lottery and for Virgin Galactic to get in gear so that I can go into space :)

Page3, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  10. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a great life you are living mate, keep realizing your dreams and live it like you want it ;)

Rado_ch, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  11. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    That's the plan :) Belgium does have very nice places though, and lots of culture. To people who would like to visit, I would highly recommend it.

I forgot to add to my previous post.. what bugged me most about Belgium was the rain :)

Page3, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  12. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Ah...if the rain is like in the UK I will certainly reconsider my fancies towards Belgium :D

Rado_ch, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  13. vivaldi

vivaldi Member

Best Answers:
    I'm happy I didn't go to Uni there LOL

vivaldi, Jan 9, 2015 IP
  14. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think this one needs some clarification. What's wrong with their Unis?

qwikad.com, Jan 9, 2015 IP
  15. vivaldi

vivaldi Member

Best Answers:
    If that resemble the Belgian mentality, not saying it does but hey gotta go with what you know ;)

vivaldi, Jan 9, 2015 IP
  16. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Haha, that's not Belgian mentality lol. Just one of the crazy people. But hey, we're all crazy in one way or another :)

School is actually great in Belgium, not much bad stuff to say about it. Proper education and very cheap compared to the US. We're pretty open-minded to foreigners being here, too. There are many people from Erasmus in our schools (coming from France, Spain, GB, US, Hungary etc..).

Aquarezz, Jan 9, 2015 IP
    vivaldi likes this.
  17. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    No doubt things have changed a little over the years, but when I went to school in Belgium way back then, we had class from 9 to 5 every day. When I look at the kids here in the US, school is out by 2:30 in the afternoon.
    Make a mistake during your 'mother language' exam and end a verb with a d when it had to be a t for example, you couldn't even pass the exam. Education was strict and more than decent and indeed very, very cheap compared to elsewhere.

I agree with Aquarezz that there is a great open-mindedness towards foreigners. I lived in a Turkish neighbourhood for a while. We all mixed nicely, taught each other little things, be it language or how to bake cookies, and everyone got along fine. Belgium is multi-cultural and for the most part proud of it.

Page3, Jan 9, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  18. Droid82

Droid82 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I wonder how a self parking car park itself there LOL Belgium seems to be a great place to visit.

Droid82, Jan 12, 2015 IP
  19. Zirkon Kalti

Zirkon Kalti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Belgium is a beautiful country in Europe. It is in between France and Netherlands. It is only a ferry away from England.

Zirkon Kalti, Jan 15, 2015 IP