1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Getting a like the Hardest Thing On Digital Point forum?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Waqar Akram, Jun 4, 2013.

1. 01123581321345589144

01123581321345589144 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You just have to continually contribute to the forums. Read what everyone has to say, get into discussions, speak your mind but be reasonable and nice. Don't beg for likes. If you say something funny or insightful, eventually people will recognize you.

01123581321345589144, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  2. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    I some ways I agree with this. While I don't post much on these forums, I do a lot of reading, and I can't tell you how much the DP forums have helped me find answers to certain questions related to my work. There have been several times that I really wanted to give a like to a post to show appreciation.

On the other hand though, it is understandable that new members wouldn't be able to give likes to posts because it would be a bit like blackmailing (in a soft way). Like, give lots and lots of likes to posts in hopes of getting likes back. I've been around the internet block a few times, and there is much abuse going on everywhere. Put a button somewhere (like, upvote, points, kudos, vote, karma), and it will be abused to some degree.

Page3, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and deathshadow like this.
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This +1000 GET... to the point it would be over 9000.

THAT's how to get a like :p

deathshadow, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  4. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are a few ways you can show your appreciation even if you can't yet 'like' someone's post. Send the poster whose post you want to 'like' a private message expressing your appreciation for them or post your comments about it on their profile page.

DON'T, however, create posts in a thread that convey ONLY a 'thanks' message. Such posts are of NO value to any discussion, bloat your post count unnecessarily and you are bound to get infraction points for it, which in the worst case can lead you to the ban hammer.:)

Content Maestro, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  5. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    The 'abuse' is not only limited to soft blackmailing and/or giving and getting 'likes' in return. There are some people who try to make money outta it by actually offering to sell 'likes'. Yes! I've seen some posts on other forums where people are ready to give you a 'like' on DP for a few bucks! Don't believe me?? Check this page - http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackh.../561414-need-3-digital-point-forum-likes.html
    I bet some people must be figuring it's better to pay that $6 instead of paying $25 for Premium Membership (to be able to post quickly in BST and Marketplace) and this is one of the ways such hucksters/scamsters get to prey on the money of the gullible and uninitiated.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  6. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    I want to say I'm shocked but I'm not. Every time I think I've seen it all, something else comes up. I recently found a forum where people were openly exchanging adsense clicks. Maybe google needs to google a bit more often :)
    It always makes me wonder, do these people shoplift too? Or are they just dishonest on the internet?

Sorry, I don't mean to go too far off topic here :) From my own experience, I feel that it is much, much much better to just be honest in everything, because it's so much more rewarding, knowing that you earned something with hard work and perseverance as opposed to earning something by cutting corners.

Page3, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  7. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I think it's always going to be the same with any kind of scamming or dishonest practice. The moment a trick is foiled, sleazy folks will come up with a new one, then another one and so on. It's we who have to wary of such people and do our due diligence to stay safe from them.
    Yes, honesty is no doubt the best policy but people who wanna make big bucks overnight don't think so.:) They seek instant gratification and want quick rewards. Honesty, hard work and perseverance pay off, but mostly in the long run and one has to be patient and wait a while to be rewarded.

Page3 and deathshadow like this.
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    See the ongoing "whack-a-mole" Google's Anti-spam team is constantly playing with the sleazy scumbags who call themselves SEO "Experts" -- and how said disgusting foul slimebucket "experts" run around like chickens with their heads cut off every time Google releases a new algo update.

A lot of that seems to stem from what I've come to call the "credit mentality" -- You'll often hear idiotic asinine harebrained statements like "we'll fix it once we're successful" without even the consideration that what needs to be fixed could be keeping them from ever being successful. People want to just sleaze out websites as fast and as cheap as possible, ignoring that cheap sleazed out any-old-way websites can alienate potential customers, cost more to host, ruin your reputation, etc, etc... This "Pay more later for something we can't afford now" bull is the biggest road to failure there is; and the fact that most people cannot even conceive of "living without credit" at this point is a major cause of this... just as on a grander scale credit and lending is the #1 contributing cause to the decline of any economy.

See how President Odumba in his total financial ignorance (to go with his ignorance on damned near every other subject) actually called credit the "Life blood of the economy" -- I don't normally agree with Peter Schiff, but I'm TOTALLY with him on this one; it's not the lifeblood, IT'S ****ING CANCER!

So when people are dumb enough to blindly hand money over to let "the rich get richer while not actually contributing anything of value to society", the same "Will give money for vague promises" being blind to all the other outright scams and broken "Now, now, now, to hell with how badly it ****'s us later" thinking is hardly a shock. After all, there's a reason Amway is still in business despite being shut down and hauled into court more times than your average street dealer; hence why to me most "SEO Experts", "Designers", and "I can sell you a site made in Wordpress built with a half dozen frameworks" folks are a bigger bunch of dirtbag crooks than most of the people currently serving time.

deathshadow, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    malky66, Content Maestro and Page3 like this.
  9. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed! Truth is that big bucks can't be made overnight with honesty, unless one wins the lottery, and what are the odds of that happening :) It seems to me that many people make big bucks on the internet with scamming and the likes. Even with spamming. Question is why is nothing getting done about that? There should be a 'report to police' button in our browser.

My co-worker always says that a lot of people walk around free simply because they don't get caught. Don't get me going on "SEO experts", lol. Sadly, I deal with the results of their "expert work" every day at work and it takes up a lot of my time (spam removal).

Page3, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  10. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    The problem SOMETIMES stems from the fact that internet is an enormously vast area. On global, free and open-for-everyone platforms like DP, it's not really possible for admins to police around regularly and check whether all users are following rules and fair practices. The best way out is being alert and cagey and (as I said before) doing one's due diligence.
    Well, not exactly 'report to police', but there, I believe, is a 'report to mods' option available on many platforms. Some browsers also have the facility to report suspicious sites and software and a community of volunteers maintains a 'blacklist' of such things. (Check the Help menu if you're using Firefox; there's an option to 'Report Web Forgery'.) We should make it a point to check and update these types of listings frequently before transacting esp. with strangers. It'll not only help people to be aware of fraudulent activities but will also prevent scammers from using the same payment/email accounts, websites or programs to deceive people.
    On the internet, it's very easy to forge an identity and conduct business. Many times, you don't even know with whom you're dealing at the other end! Laws to check and curb cybercrime are for sure there, but I suppose it would be very difficult to enforce them rigorously all over.

Sorry, don't mean to be off the track though.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  11. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    Same here, maybe we should start a new discussion because this stuff is interesting.

There is, and many forums are moderated carefully, but mods can only chase the scammers off a site. They will go elsewhere and continue what they are doing. We get spam posts offering bank logins, fake passports, 419 scammers, forged Amazon gift certificates, the list is endless and I see it through work every single day, many times a day. I've been doing the same job for 10 years now and I feel that this kind of scams has increased a lot in recent years. The only ones I saw 10 years ago were the 419 scammers.

Page3, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  12. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    And I suppose these algo updates (that are 'de-indexing' and weeding out the crappy stuff from many places) are exactly what's giving the bottom-end/low-grade writers a nightmare now – cheat writers who copy and spin others' content and pass it off as their own 'original' and 'high-quality' work.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  13. farenheit000

farenheit000 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Be a likeable person with good things to contribute and add to discussions and you should get there soon enough. Patience is a virtue!

Personally I'm not one to start discussions in the forum, but I've been having a good time chiming into threads I find relative or confident in being able to contribute to and the progress has been just fine. :p

farenheit000, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  14. vivaldi

vivaldi Member

Best Answers:
    Hard or not, I think it's a good thing. Forums like this gives a lot for the user for free, they have all the rights to demand such a small thing as to post useful content.

vivaldi, Jan 9, 2015 IP
    farenheit000 likes this.
  15. Thapainfo

Thapainfo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Does digitalpoint want to stop spam members?

Thapainfo, Jan 11, 2015 IP
  16. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    My dear friend, what kind of question is that!?:confused: What makes you think DP doesn't want to?:eek::oops: It's but obvious!! The main purpose of the 'likes' system is to stop people from spamming and posting useless stuff.
    BTW, show me at least one forum IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS that doesn't want to stop spamming.:rolleyes:

Content Maestro, Jan 11, 2015 IP
    jrbiz, deathshadow and malky66 like this.
  17. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That gets my vote as the stupidest question ever, if spamming is what you have signed up for just log out and don't come back.

malky66, Jan 12, 2015 IP
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No, not at all. We like having our time wasted, credulity strained and patience tested by spammers...doesn't everyone? Plus, spamming has such a positive effect on the Internet, in general, that we actually are big supporters of the profession. Check out all the DP threads that speak well of the spamming trade. :( /End Sarcasm Drip

jrbiz, Jan 12, 2015 IP
  19. afriadi

afriadi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Additional tips from me:

If you are a humorous person, say something funny and you will get "likes" easily.

afriadi, Jan 20, 2015 IP
  20. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    That's right but at the same time you've to make sure that your humor doesn't hurt or offend anyone. Humor is like a double-edged sword that can backfire sometimes.:)

Content Maestro, Jan 20, 2015 IP