1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bitterly Cold This Morning...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015.

I don't know why anyone, including me, lives in New England. :)

It is -2F/-19C with a wind chill factor making it feel like -20F/-29C this morning. School has not been cancelled, so we have to bundle up the kid and drive him in rather than having him wait outside for the bus.

The upside is that I work from my home office and do not have to go outside too much, but I needed to complain a bit. ;)

jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  2. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Probably the teaching staff where your kid goes to school doesn't have any children and so doesn't know what taking care of them means. To hell with whatever anyone feels but I, for one, can never imagine sending kids out when it's worse than freezing point.
    Complaining will definitely take some heat off you, but I guess you need it right now to survive the coldness. :p ;)

Content Maestro, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was -3F when I went for a walk yesterday afternoon. You have to dress for it. I was warm and comfortable and sweating after the walk. I find getting out during the winter to be good psychologically. If you don't get out and enjoy winter it can be depressing.

Where I live, November was like January (as cold as it is where you are and where I am now with temperatures dipping below zero at night) and December was like March with temperatures in the upper 30s to low 50s. We had no snow on the ground this Christmas. We had snow on the ground from Nov. 10 to a few days before Christmas when it melted away. Then it snowed two days after Christmas. So we just missed a white Christmas by two days.

billzo, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It turns out that my son woke up sick, so he stayed home. That problem is now solved. :)

My goal is to stay indoors as much as possible today.

jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    We had a similar weather pattern here the past few months, though November was not as cold as this month has been. Have not had a "shovel-able" snow event here, either.

Yesterday was about 20 degrees F warmer and I took the dog for a walk at lunchtime. Dressed appropriately, it was tolerable, but not my favorite time to be out. Won't be happening today. ;)

jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Sorry @jrbiz Not to rub it in, but this is me with my munchkin the day before yesterday at the Disney's parade:

10922449_892472357438561_8394446010942360255_n.jpg

LOL... I mean, I am rubbing it in.

qwikad.com, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and jrbiz like this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  8. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do not mind winter. I just wish it was not so long. 4 - 5 months of winter is too much. 2 months I could handle and might enjoy. Not 5 months.

billzo, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You need to move a little farther south, perhaps? Here in RI, we really usually only have 2-3 months of serious winter weather and that is because of the nearby ocean having a moderating effect, I believe. Of course, when a true Nor'easter hits us, the ocean becomes the villain...in a big way... :)

jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  10. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to live some place it is always warm for a few years just to have a change of pace. Winter 2012 - 2013 we had snow on the ground from mid-November to May 2nd or so. Last big snowstorm was at the end of April. So that was five-and-a-half months of winter that season with a blanket of snow on the ground during the entire period. We can also have temperatures in the upper 60s or low 70s in early March. We have more lousy weather than good weather. That is the opposite of what I would like.

billzo, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. farenheit000

farenheit000 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    -20C isn't terrible. I wear nothing but a sweater and a hat up to -10C. Once -20C peaks its head around, then it's jacket weather, but it's not bad.

When I lived in Northern Alberta, Canada (near the border of the Yukon territories), it used to reach -50C and even -60C with wind chill. There was also a river that'd freeze over so bad every winter it was commonly used as a highway to cross into some hard to access areas.

At the end of the day, it's better to complain about 0C temperatures than 100C temperatures. :p

farenheit000, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I suppose that it is all relative. I feel warmer just by reading about your temps. :)

I visited Calgary once, but it was in the summer (during the Stampede.) I could not help but notice that EVERY taxi there had a cracked windshield. They said that it was inevitable when you have such cold winter temps and have to turn the heater on in the car for passengers.

jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  13. farenheit000

farenheit000 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Calgary can be pretty damn cold. I've moved back to Toronto now though, so it's not nearly as bad. The coldest we've had this winter was -20C as well--but it was only today that we started getting these low temps. It's been an incredibly mild winter surprisingly this year.

farenheit000, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  14. Page3

Page3 Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly! A couple months is fine but 5 months.. I truly love where I live (Upstate NY). We make lots of snow sculptures in winter. It's usually far too cold for the snow to stick, but I found ways around that problem. Cold is nothing when you're dressed properly and there are many things to enjoy in winter, like no bugs, beautiful snow landscapes.... 5 months is long though.

Page3, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Jan 9, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and jrbiz like this.
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL...we have warmed up slightly today... 25F/-4C. But it was a snowstorm that warmed us up, so it is a double-edged sword, in that regard. Now going to get on the road for a couple of hours with the family in the snowstorm...

jrbiz, Jan 9, 2015 IP
  17. vivaldi

vivaldi Member

Best Answers:
    LOL move to Northern Europe and you will feel the wrath of cold ;)

vivaldi, Jan 9, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  18. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Jan 25, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I just had to blow a couple of inches off the driveway yesterday and now it looks like a big one is headed our way. My wife said that the gas stations had tons of people filling up their portable gas cans for the snowblowers. Had a big, important business meeting scheduled for Tuesday with multiple companies and a lot of people involved. Now going to have to re-schedule as Tuesday is the big day.

jrbiz, Jan 25, 2015 IP
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Whoo Boy. Now the storm is being described as "historic" in nature. We are predicted to get 20-30 inches of snow with some of it falling at 2-4 inches per hour. Winds of 40-50 miles per hour will turn it into a white-out blizzard at times. My son's school has already cancelled evening activities and will certainly be closed tomorrow. The local TV will be full of cancellations of all types of activities for the next 1.5 days. The grocery store was jam-packed this morning as were the gas stations. The media loves this as they get big ratings for their non-stop coverage of the "crisis." I suspect that this one is real, but many times they peter out into nothing. Stay tuned for further developments... :)

jrbiz, Jan 26, 2015 IP