WordPress not updating automatically to the version 4.1

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by andrej, Jan 8, 2015.

I have some WP installations that are currently running on WordPress 4.0.1 and I have the auto-upgrade option set on these installations, but they somehow have not updated automatically to the new version 4.1. I have to do it manually.

What could be the problem? Or is the 4.1 update a major update, so it will not update automatically (it would e.g. from 4.1 to 4.1.1)?

andrej, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are right about 4.1 not being a minor update that updates automatically. I had to push the "update" button my Wordpress installs as well. Minor updates such as security fixes will update automatically. The second dot number indicates a minor version. 4.1.x -- x is the minor version.

It looks like there may be a way to configure Wordpress to do major updates automatically. I have not tried it. Major updates often involve database changes and when that is to occur, it is always a good idea to backup your data first.

https://make.wordpress.org/core/201...e-to-disabling-auto-updates-in-wordpress-3-7/
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Configuring_Automatic_Background_Updates

billzo, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    andrej likes this.
  3. shakensoul

shakensoul Member

Best Answers:
    By default WP pushes only minor updates. You can enable all updates automatically by adding the following to the wp-config.php

define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', true );
    Code (markup):
    Enable only minor updates

define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', 'minor' );
    Code (markup):
    Though it is advisable not to enable all updates automatically as it might break some plugins, which was the reason it is not enabled by default.

shakensoul, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    andrej likes this.
  4. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you guys for your replies and advice.

andrej, Jan 9, 2015 IP