1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I know next to nothing about webdesign. Assistance?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Qasim Khan, Jan 3, 2015.

I wanted to begin blogging so I got a domain then a host and I am using Wordpress 4.1 to design and as an interface for my site.

Site I am referencing: www.livetouplift.com

I have firebug but I don't know much about how to use it. I would like the secondary navigation/ the buttons that say "Home", "Contact Me" to have their own colors. I kind of wanted them to be like the colors of the uplift logo- grey and black. Or I wanted to add an "About Me" page and have the colors transition from black to grey.

Even if I can't do individual colors, I'd still like to have a whole menu bar highlight across the page. But I just don't know how to do this. I'd like to know more html as I think it is neat but I am definitely an amateur. I tried writing "background: red" in the "styles" portion of firebug and I did not get what I was after.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Qasim Khan, Jan 3, 2015 IP
  2. Dark Raven

Dark Raven Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am not having an easy time following you but if you want to have them each be a different colour you could give them a class or an id and reference that in CSS. If you don't know how to do that a good place to start is:

codeacademy
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp

I don't know what firebug is, never used it, but the code I use to change button colour is: background-color: red; as an example.

I'd recommend learning or trying to understand the basics and reading some html tutorials first. The codeacademy is a really really great place to start, and the good thing about HTML and CSS is that there are so many tutorials out there to help you get started.

Dark Raven, Jan 3, 2015 IP
  3. Qasim Khan

Qasim Khan Peon

Best Answers:
    I've got a new issue! I was tinkering around and my website ended up going blank... I can't even log-in!

Qasim Khan, Jan 3, 2015 IP
  4. Praestes

Praestes Member

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of books and now also apps for your mobile phone or tablet (Android and iOS) that can help you learn the basic of HTML and CSS also there are a lot of great things you can learn from http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/

Praestes, Jan 3, 2015 IP
  5. King-Servers

King-Servers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Did you do any recent changes or rename anything? What is the error message that you get while trying to log in?

King-Servers, Jan 3, 2015 IP
  6. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't look blank to me.
    [​IMG]

jamjar919, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  7. Qasim Khan

Qasim Khan Peon

Best Answers:
    I apologize I restarted from scratch yesterday. I first uninstalled wordpress from the cpanel and deleted all the folders then begin up again. It was not a huge job as I didn't have much on there. Can anyone give me directions and guidance on how to back up all my work, in case I decide to tinkering around again?

Qasim Khan, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  8. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use the XCloner plugin for Wordpress to do full site backups of both data and database regularly, it's pretty easy to set up. If you want scheduled database backups then use iThemes security and enable the automated backup option.

Alternatively you can always do it manually if you have FTP access.

jamjar919, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  9. Googl

Googl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Even the best knowledge about CSS will not help the OP original problem. This will require knowledge of Wordpress scripting which the OP does not have. And recommending to read books and to look through a website for [webdesign.tutsplus.com] for experienced developers will not help easier. The only solution here is for the OP to hire someone experienced to help make the changes otherwise she/he is going to be in a lot mess like the pages disappearing suddenly.

This is going to require creating a child theme and creating more css classes for each button and applied to the buttons as exra classes

Googl, Jan 6, 2015 IP
  10. Shaun Davis

Shaun Davis Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    you got to start from scratch brother.

Shaun Davis, Jan 6, 2015 IP
  11. richie_rich$$$

richie_rich$$$ Member

Best Answers:
    you are so lucky I saw your thread ^.^

I learned so much from this guy's youtube videos about how to create your wordpress theme from scratch:

His way of teaching is so simple and effective that you will understand even if you're a retard.
    I've studied many paid sites like lynda or treehouse but I learned from this guy for free more than any of the others combined :D

richie_rich$$$, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  12. Front end-dev

Front end-dev Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Though the first three answer are not relevant (wordpress development are not html css design man!)
    for changing color you should go theme option customize theme then change color. or you can go editor section then change color.

with wordpress you cant change color like what we do in html,css.

Front end-dev, Jan 9, 2015 IP
  13. Baker Jaz

Baker Jaz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    youtube is your best friend buddy.

Baker Jaz, Jan 20, 2015 IP
  14. John Osel O. Diaz

John Osel O. Diaz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Go to getbootstrap.com to have a template for building a website suing their template. Here's a link that'll teach you how to build a website. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7erinMCeODr6XdPknmj7w It's really useful. this is how I learned how to build a website.

John Osel O. Diaz, Jan 28, 2015 IP