1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Online Marketing Is A Real Business and Real Work ...

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by ColinVS, Jan 7, 2015.

For some reason when it comes to online marketing people look at it differently from a 'proper job'. It is perceived different from a 'real business'. One of the main reasons for this, is that in the internet marketing business people constantly get marketing messages promising virtual overnight riches for very little work. If you were starting an offline business like opening a shop for instance, would you expext an instant rush of people walking through your door? No, it is totally unrealistic, not unless you were living in a dream world. You would have to work at and build your business over a period of time. Unfortunately, the internet and with it internet marketing brainwashing offers have created a whole lot of daydreamers.
    The reality is that getting tens of thousands of visitors overnight to a single advert, video or article are very very small. The chances of making thousands and thousands of pounds from one email without having built any sort of relationship with the recipients is very very small.
    There is no magic button to press.
    Your online business is just that - a business. Like all business it will need time and action (work). If you are not willing to put in both of these, you are destined to fail.

ColinVS, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  2. h4ns3n

h4ns3n Member

Best Answers:
    Especially true when it comes to family. I spend a lot of time learning new things, working on sites etc, playing with SEO, Adwords etc. My family and friends think the time I spend on my "marketing" hobby to be a joke. It annoys me. It seems to them that if i'm not at work then I'm not working, i'm just messing around. Thats because they have no idea what i'm actually doing and they have no interest in asking me.

h4ns3n, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  3. ColinVS

ColinVS Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately this is true for many budding online marketers. As you rightly say, your efforts are not considered to be work. Maybe when all your efforts start to produce results in the form of money they will understand then and start to take an interest.

ColinVS, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  4. Googl

Googl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ofcourse it is not a serious business until it provides sustainable income (not always the case). Anyone can pose to be an online marketer even without the relevant degrees and likewise be good at it without. I am sure there are lots of teenages and early 20 year olds here that are clever at building high quality SEO and traffic schemes.

Because anyone can do it even without skill you can see why it is seen as a very transparent business and not taken too serious. I don't see how anyone would see you as fake if you're making 1000s of pounds or whatever currency per month. They will see you as being very clever. Most online marketers work without property so the the business in most cases is worthless and any worthless business is not a business. Physical business properties such as shops and products contain value and pick up quickly. Internet business can cost a lot of time and money and building reputation can take years.

Googl, Jan 7, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Online business requires time, effort, hard work, objectives, goals, and the most important to me is investment from the targeted audience and users.

KylieSweet, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  6. Vincentas

Vincentas Active Member

Best Answers:
    Online marketing is extremely time-consuming, especially if you're really into it. For some time I even had no working hours - I was constantly working - both at work and at home - till I developed some skills. And yes, it really bothers me when someone says that it's not really a job, or that it is "so easy anyone can do it", or "you're doing nothing just having fun blogging and posting on social media". No! There's little fun in that.

Vincentas, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This is exactly right. Hard work and spending a lot of time on activities does not a business make. Earning revenues/profits is what matters. Everything else is really meaningless.

jrbiz, Jan 8, 2015 IP