1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Menu bar does not show on mobile phone or tablet

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by vahing, Dec 16, 2014.

I have created a website called Haunted Places in India and I would like to know how the site looks for you if you visit it by a smartphone or tablet.

The site uses a responsive theme, but it seems the menu bar or menu bar or drop-down menu does not appear on mobiles devices.

I appreciate any advice / help. Thank you!

vahing, Dec 16, 2014 IP
  2. vahing

vahing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Update: I have found that the issue was likely caused by the absence of a closing script tag.
    Nevertheless, I would appreciate if mobile users can confirm that the dropdown menu bar is now there in home bar.
    Thank you!

vahing, Dec 16, 2014 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The menu is working after a fashion, but like a lot of the scripttardery out there it's not exactly the easiest to access on mobile... though that could be my dislike for that "let's hide the menu when it's barely large enough to matter using some vague icon" nonsense -- particularly when I can actually implement much the same thing without scripting using CSS3's :target, and would do so with text saying "show menu" and "hide menu" instead of some vague "false simplicity".

One observation on small displays, is that the extra border around the layout and padding reduces the amount of useful screen space for content. You might want to add to your media queries stripping off the side padding that lets your body background show through, and shrink the padding around the text a good deal as well so when the display gets small as much space is free as possible for showing what's important, the content.

Likewise you might want below a certain size making your floated images switch to display:block and margin:auto for centering so that you don't end up with the text being hard to read thanks to there only be enough room for 0..3 words next to it -- which is both hard to read/follow AND is aesthetically unpleasing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    deathshadow, Dec 16, 2014 IP
  4. vahing

vahing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your feedback deathshadow

vahing, Dec 17, 2014 IP
  5. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Glad you fixed your issue. Also - I would consider removing the G+ and FB sliders at small resolutions as it obstructs the content (Which I don't use as I have blockers in place for inline social content).
    [​IMG]

jamjar919, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I didn't even see those until I tested on my phone, since I too block that type of "Gee ain't it neat" scripttardery. Those are EXACTLY the type of thing I'm talking about when I say "Has no damned business on a website in the first place" -- 99% of the crap people place with position:fixed and/or scripting hooks just breaks on smaller displays, quite often breaks or is inconveniently placed on larger displays, and on the whole is nothing more than a utter and complete waste of code and bandwidth making the site slower and harder to use.

deathshadow, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  7. Pigeon Yoga

Pigeon Yoga Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks great on my chromebook.

Pigeon Yoga, Jan 4, 2015 IP