1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long website will bounce back after manual penalty removed?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by enikram, Dec 24, 2014.

1 of the websites I manage was hit with manual penalty back 2 years ago. It was cleaned more than a year ago and website went from page 11(during penalty) to page 7. Before penalty it was on page 1. Competitors have 1/10th of the good links this website has(natural) yet it still on page 7. I have a feeling it's being sandboxed by google,but I am not sure how long it will last.

Any of you who have experience with this, please post some thoughts.

enikram, Dec 24, 2014 IP
  2. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is how it normally works. When you are hit with a manual penalty you get a notification in Webmaster Tools. The notification indicates the exact reason for the penalty so its easy for the site owner to find and clear. After owner thinks all is ok, they submit a reconsideration request to Google, which checks and will either remove the penalty or keep it if the proper actions were not taken. Now, even if the penalty is removed the website have a completely different rank. Most reasons for a manual penalty give a huge ranking boost before detected so you will be going way back with the clearing of your site. And after that its a slow walk to the top, might take months and more, depending on how you further optimize the site. Its actually a pretty good example why SEO is a marathon, not a sprint and also how easy is to quickly boost a website to the top (like most self-proclaimed SEO experts offer) but sooner or later you will most probably suffer from the consequences.

Wish you the best of luck with regaining your top spots.

Rado_ch, Dec 25, 2014 IP
    Brent Jones likes this.
  3. Brent Jones

Brent Jones Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for posting this @Rado_ch. I wasn't sure how this all worked, either.

Brent Jones, Dec 29, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  4. SEOsince99

SEOsince99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you are hit by a manual penalty and have it removed you can still be effected by Penguin.

I had a buddy with this very same situation, removed a painful manual penalty after a couple of years. Rankings did not recover and upon further inspection it was clear that he was hit by Penguin as well. Further link cleanups and he finally recovered with the last Penguin refresh.

Keep up the removal of links is my only advice.

SEOsince99, Dec 29, 2014 IP
  5. Brent Jones

Best Answers:
    Can you elaborate? What do you mean by removal of links?

I'm good at a number of things, but understand how search engines rank my website just isn't one of them.

Brent Jones, Dec 30, 2014 IP
  6. SEOsince99

SEOsince99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No problem.

Google has algorithms that rank websites, basically a large math problem to help sort the rankings of site for keywords.

Over the years SEO's caught on to the game of creating links in order to rank well. The problem became so rampant because of Google's leniency of that spam and more importantly how effective it was.

Thus they needed to create solutions. The first was manual penalties for people that were buying links. Google still penalizes websites to this day for buying links and handing out manual penalties.

That was all fine and dandy until the problem existed of scaling, Google cannot police the internet so they needed a new algorithm to solve this problem. That's why Penguin was born. Penguin targets link profiles that have spammy links. If you are hit by Penguin the only way to fix the problem is to remove the links that are violating Google's T.O.S. I recommend a service to help you do this if you don't know what you are doing. You will only cause more damage then good if you remove the wrong links. Try a service like http://linkdelete.com to help you manage everything.

To fix the Penguin issues you may need to undo what you, your previous SEO, or even a competitor built to your website.

SEOsince99, Dec 30, 2014 IP
  7. Brent Jones

Best Answers:
    So if I am understanding you correctly, you're talking about removing links on other websites that link back to yours?

Brent Jones, Dec 31, 2014 IP
  8. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you understood my previous post I will try to summarize this one for you also.

Unlike the manual penalties, the algorithm penalties that @SEOsince99 mentioned have one big difference - you do not get any notifications anywhere for them, you just see your website slashed and dropped in rankings. So one would have to make a detailed personal investigation of the issue, starting with when the issue occurred. Most of the times this is very close to the time when Google releases an algorithm update so determining that gives you a good chance to see which exact algorithm slashed your website ranks.
    Quick check on the algo updates you can always find here: http://moz.com/google-algorithm-change

Now, the most common penalizing algorithms (keep in mind that they are not all penalizing) are the forementioned Penguin and Panda. They are very easy to separate - the first targets bad/crappy/spammy/irrelevant links to your website, while the latter targets your website content, how useful it is, how stuffed with keywords, how well written and so on. As your question was about Penguin, the basic rule there is that if you were slashed you were involved in some unnatural link building - be it buying a ton of new links at once (or buying at all), link farms, link wheels and so forth. Novice users often fall into the trap into paying someone a low amount of money for SEO and ending up with hundreds of links irrelevant to their website topic (ex. you have a nice little travel blog which has links from mobile phone websites, adult websites, music websites etc.). This is quite common although this was a practice that worked years ago but as SEO changes almost on a daily basis it can only ruin a site now. So if its already too late and Penguin destroyed the rank of your website you will basically have to go over all your links and exclude the "bad" ones. There are two ways to do that. One is to use the Google Disavow tool to do that in bulk but you will have to be careful with it and the results may vary. The second, and this is the one my colleague from the previous comments tried to explain, requires much more effort but can bring better results. And that is to find the owners of the bad website that links to you and ask them to remove the link from their side. Its also good for them so many will agree. However there are those that you cannot find, those that refuse, and of course - if there are lots of URLs you need to unlink it can be a pretty time consuming job.

Whew, that came out much longer than expected. Still, hopefully that shed a little light and you learned something new ;)

Rado_ch, Jan 2, 2015 IP
    Brent Jones likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I went to their site, used their free analysis tool and it showed that I have some "toxic" links. They want to charge $97 per month for their removal service, but all that I would like to happen is for the toxic links to be removed as a one-time fix. Are you aware of any legitimate, one-time services that could do such a project?

jrbiz, Jan 2, 2015 IP
  10. thesna

thesna Member

Best Answers:
    Has anyone else used http://linkdelete.com?

Are there any alternatives?

thesna, Jan 2, 2015 IP
  11. enikram

enikram Active Member

Best Answers:
    SEOsince99 is the owner of the forementioned website...so you should just deal with him
    I applaud for the info he posts, but it was stupid of him to actually act like a client. It would've made more sense to post here with his own signature and explain why they need his service. It's good service,but scamming others by posting as a previous client is very very low...

enikram, Jan 10, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.