1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I easily create or design my personal website?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by antonis2003, Dec 28, 2014.

I am a newbie and I would like to learn an easy way to create or design my personal website.

Please advise!
    Thanks

Solved! View solution.
    antonis2003, Dec 28, 2014 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    If you are serious about designing your own website, I would suggest you dip your toe in the water by learning HTML, CSS. and get a graphics program and learn how to use it.

Threre are some fill in the blank type options but ultimately you will want something uniquely your own.

Smyrl, Dec 28, 2014 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  3. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    The only easy way is to pay a top professional developer to build the site for you. If you want to build ityorself then there is no "easy way". If you try the shortcut, junk tools and site builders you will end up with useless junk and spend most of your time fixing thing; far from easy. The recommended route is to do the work of learning up front to get a handle on the basics and then groe your skills as you advance through developing with "your own ideas and style".

COBOLdinosaur, Dec 28, 2014 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  4. hangbowl

hangbowl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Use WordPress as the CMS, and there are a lot of themes you can use.

hangbowl, Dec 28, 2014 IP
  5. antonis2003

antonis2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    Many thanks for your comments and your support!

For example, hostgator provides Web Hosting plans and VPS Hosting Packages.

VPS Hosting Packages are expensive!

What do you think would be the best choice to choose for my needs?
    • HostGator » Web Hosting » Compare All Hosting Plans
    • HostGator » VPS Hosting
    I would like to use a free CMS service with the easier and best economical solution!

Here is the discussion I have had with HostGator LiveChat:
    [Initial Question]:
    (9:35 am) [System] Customer has entered chat and is waiting for an agent.
    (9:49 am) [Sam P.] Welcome to HostGator LiveChat! My name's Sam. I'd be happy to assist you today.
    (9:52 am) [Antonis]: Good evening, I am interested to create a simple website for a friend of mine. The website should be Mobile Responsive, CMS suitable, including two different languages (Greek and English), a photo gallery and a scrolling-news Bar for Hot (headline) news and/or additional articles. Also, I would like to put my friend's Blogger (http://mavridesc.blogspot.com) on his website and Auto Sync new posts from his blogspot to his website OR vice versa (new posts from his website to his blogspot). Later on it will be good idea to use a newsletter service (ie daily news, weekly news etc.) or/and sms services in order to inform his contacts for any new activity. Do you provide a newsletter or/and sms services? Another idea is to have some direct weblinks to be connected with his Facebook profile, Facebook page, YouTube page and Twitter account. A sample of a showcase what of my needs is pretty much to this
    kind of website (disregarding poor design of this page): http://www.elenitheocharous.com Do you provide a web-based Cpanel with your hosting plans which are based on a Web content management system (CMS)? Are your Web hosting plans based on PHP and MySQL? If yes, do you offer script installers (One Click Installs) for Wordpress or Joomla or Drupal without any additional costs? For example, if I choose Joomla, do you provide an Auto Installer with Category Services like Fantastico or Softaculous? According to your Webhosting plans, would you please clarify the meaning of the toll-free number service? For example, the caller from Cyprus will not charged for any calls to your country and vice versa? Which one of your Web hosting plans would be suitable for my needs? Please advise! Best, Antony
    (9:52 am) [Sam P.] We do provide cpanel, and we have oneclick installs for joomla, wordpress, and much more! You might find the following guide from our support articles useful: https://support.hostgator.com/articles/cpanel/quickinstall
    (9:53 am) [Sam P.] We do not provide sms options, but setting up a mailing list through cpanel is easy to do.
    (9:55 am) [Sam P.] Did you have any other questions or concerns I could assist you with today?
    (9:56 am) [Antonis]: WHMCS License: How much would be the cost in order to have CMS?
    (10:04 am) [Sam P.] With our reseller account you would get a free whmcs license! Otherwise you would need to contact them for a license.

antonis2003, Dec 29, 2014 IP
  6. hangbowl

hangbowl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    For personal website, it's best use shared hosting. VPS if you need more resources, or with custom implementation with huge scale project.
    You don't need WHMCS for CMS. WHMCS is a billing manager to manage Hosting Account as Hosting Provider. You can find information about WHMCS at www.whmcs.net

CMS which is popular is WordPress (www.wordpress.org). It's absolutely FREE and with tons of Template (Designs) and Plugins. So many tutorial about WordPress. Just google it.

hangbowl, Dec 29, 2014 IP
  7. antonis2003

antonis2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to know your thoughts according to my question: "It will be good idea to use a newsletter service (ie daily news, weekly news etc.) or/and sms services in order to inform his contacts for any new activity. Do you provide a newsletter or/and sms services?"

Hostgator's answer?: "We do not provide sms options, but setting up a mailing list through cpanel is easy to do."

What's the meaning of the answer? How can I set a mailing list through cpanel by sending sms to my fun club?

Also, how can I arrange a newsletter service?

Thanks

antonis2003, Dec 29, 2014 IP
    Okay, these are my thoughts.

Newsletter
    First about sending newsletter to your subscriber. To do this there are several options available.
    1. Using CMS Plugins, if you are using WordPress there are some plugins do these things. It can send newsletter to your subscriber easyli.
    2. Using PHP Script, this script is installed on your hosting. This script will handle all the newsletter.
    3. Using Hosting MailMan, most of CPanel hosting included the Mailman. It's a mailing list manager with good performance.
    4. Using Third party service, If you enough cash maybe You can use third party service for newsletter. Like, Mailchimp. Just search at google and you'll find out.

SMS to Newsletter
    Sending SMS to newsletter is possible by using third party sms gateway. You need programming skills for this. You can hire people if you want.

hangbowl, Dec 29, 2014 IP
  9. mrbrown123

mrbrown123 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, simple answer. For a quick website - use a website builder maybe like wix.com. Its fast to build hosted websites and gives you a little understanding of HTML. http://www.w3schools.com/html/ is a great website to start learning HTML and other code. Like I said the simple start is use a website builder or you can use some of the many talented people on Digital Point (be careful who you choose) The quickest way to learn is Trail and error! goodluck and any advise your welcome to ask me.

mrbrown123, Dec 29, 2014 IP
  10. shefeekniyas

shefeekniyas Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think Wordpress is Simplest one For making Website.
    WordPress,you can use to create a beautiful website or blog.

shefeekniyas, Jan 1, 2015 IP
  11. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it's for a personal site then get web hosting, domain and install WordPress (easy 1 click installation is basically featured on every host). Go to Themeforest or even search for free themes, find one you like and then set it up. The way I see it, if you can set up and manage social media profiles then you can run the backend of WP. Setting up some premium themes can be quite confusing for most people but there are usually instructions included that will show you what to do, step by step.

cronik, Jan 1, 2015 IP
  12. weakpa2

weakpa2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Try to enroll on some course online that talks about web designing..UDACITY is the best of this.

weakpa2, Jan 1, 2015 IP
  13. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    You have to learn Photoshop and HTML. Or you have to hire web designer so, he can let you know how to do the design. Also, you can find lot of guideline in google.com to learn web design.

creativewebmaster, Jan 1, 2015 IP
  14. MGwebmaster

MGwebmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend to use ready-made WordPress themes or create your own WP theme. But if you're a newbie as you wrote then it won't be such an easy task.
    Try to use website builders. Unlike many CMS you won't have any problems with website builders - they are very easy to use and without any skills you will be able to create website design or a turnkey website.

MGwebmaster, Jan 19, 2015 IP
  15. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are serious about building a site and you want it to be uniquely you; then the last thing you need is cookie-cutter crap from a website site builder. In spite of the assertions of the website builder promoter, the fact is that garbage in; garbage out. You have but 3 options.
    • Take the time to acquire the skills necessary to do a quality site.
    • Hire some with the skills to do it for you.
    • Use crappy bloatware to build another load of crap to join the millions of other worthless sites on the 'net

COBOLdinosaur, Jan 20, 2015 IP
  16. John Osel O. Diaz

John Osel O. Diaz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Go to getbootstrap.com to get a template for building a website usiing their template. Here's a link that'll teach you how to build a website. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7erinMCeODr6XdPknmj7w It's really useful. this is how I learned how to build a website.

John Osel O. Diaz, Jan 28, 2015 IP