1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice on how to get someone to sell a domain

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by fireboat, Dec 22, 2014.

I own a website with heavy traffic. However, the domain (company name) is easily confused with another one that I don't own. I can tell from Google Analytics' search terms that many (most?) users mistype our company / domain name.

So I really, really want to buy the domain name that is the common misspelling of my own.

About the domain I want:

- The domain is parked (Wild West Domains).

- The domain has been owned by the same guy for 5+ years and he hasn't done a thing with it.

- It's not a common word combination. It's probably only valuable to me. I doubt anyone else would pay more than $20 for it. It was never registered to anyone else before he purchased it.

- The owner lives in Singapore. He owns 2200 domains, according to my research. I don't think he has ever sold one. He's sort of a domain hoarder guy. And, based on the content of his facebook/twitter accounts, I'm guessing he's a multimillionaire.

I have contacted the owner several times over the past 3 years and made generous offers. I've offered him thousands. He simply responds with things like, "I may use it someday. I have big plans."

He once told me that "an expert" told him the domain was worth $32,000. This, of course, is crazy. I know premium domains can be worth tens of thousands, but we are talking about a long domain and an unusual word combination. (However, he suggested that he wasn't interested in selling even at that price. Not that I could afford 32 grand anyway.)

We're a small business with 5 employees. I think this guy thinks we're some monster corporation with unlimited funds. I can pay 5 or 6 thousand, which would be an amazing return on his $9 investment.

This domain could greatly help our business. Does anyone have any suggestions to help persuade this guy?

Thanks.

fireboat, Dec 22, 2014 IP
  2. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Noone buys 2200 domains because they like to collect them, lol. Owning that many domains does tell you one thing - He's a domainer with lots of investments and probably knows what he's doing.

I would try and decide your max amount and start out offering him half.. Don't mention it's for a business, if anything you might be better telling him you want it for a personal blog or something. If he doesn't accept (or counters) then maybe go up to your max and let him know. Be prepared that he may not accept it. If he doesn't, now starts the waiting period. Let him sit on that for a month or so, once he realizes the deal may have fallen through he might come back emailing you. If that's the case, the ball is now back in your court! If not, then you know he's pretty fixed on his asking price and you're going to need to come up if you want any chance in owning it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    FPForum, Dec 22, 2014 IP
  3. fireboat

fireboat Active Member

Best Answers:
    But that's just it... I've been emailing him for years. He doesn't counter. He doesn't even have an asking price. He just said the domain is WORTH 32k...and it's not for sale.

Once I asked him about his process for selling domains. He said he has none. If he's a domain buyer and seller with lots of investments, shouldn't he be suggesting a price? Shouldn't he attempt to keep the lines of communication open, instead of telling me that his domains are not for sale.

He just keeps telling me that he has "big plans" for future websites. But in reality, he has thousands of domains, and less than a dozen sites.

fireboat, Dec 23, 2014 IP
  4. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a ~recent article I think you should read....http://www.domaininvesting.com/may-get-one-chance-buy-domain-name/

When approaching a seller, it's obvious that you "want" the name, but it should never be made known that you "need" the name. He sounds like a lazy domainer....as in doesn't need the money, doesn't care, will only sell for top dollar. When you initially approached him, you more than likely "tipped the hat"...he likely knew you were the owner of the other name/business, and now he's communicating with the person who drives all that traffic to that name. If it's "that" traffic driven, I'm sure he's making his money back on yearly renewals...so if he doesn't need the money, he really has no reason to sell. He doesn't sound like that nice of a guy ;)

How invested into this name/business are you?....have you thought about filing trademarks? Between the 2 names, who owned there's first? You could try putting a little legal pressure on him. If it's something you could actually pursue, I couldn't tell you. And you don't want to sully any positive relationship you may have. Just an idea.

Have you proposed any form of domain financing? The guy thinks in terms in dollars and cents. "Would you rather make this per month?...or make THIS per month?". The $ is what he cares about....you need to make it worth his time. Try thinking "outside the box"...maybe buying a name he could be interested in, working out a trade.

I'm assuming you've already played the "emotional" approach..."as in no one else would want it, it's a business I love and a domain I would love to have, yada, yada, etc." lol.

The above example reminds me of a few investors who buy because they have "big plans"...at the end of the day, they ALWAYS end up selling. How many weeks, months, years, that is, couldn't tell you. Things always change...

He's either not a seller or using it as a negotiating tactic. He knows you want it, so what reason does he have to keep the lines of communication open? You'll keep it open...

feel free to pm me the name and I can snoop around a bit for you...

sweetpea69, Dec 24, 2014 IP