1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help!!! How to ??

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by webguy2015, Dec 12, 2014.

Our website is develop using bootstrap. I have all the files. I made some changes on some php and other files but before I upload those files and make it live, I want to see how those changes will look like in real time on actual website.

Is there a way I can publish my website locally or anyway I can check my website and see how my webpage looks like and if all links are working without publishing them on the web ?

is there a tool or software i need to use ?

please advice

webguy2015, Dec 12, 2014 IP
  2. awakebutnapping

awakebutnapping Active Member

Best Answers:
    You could create your page on a fake page/URL that's not linked from your site first, and then just apply the same code to the correct page if all is fine.

awakebutnapping, Dec 12, 2014 IP
  3. webguy2015

webguy2015 Peon

Best Answers:
    so basically there is no way i can publish and see my website offline ?

webguy2015, Dec 12, 2014 IP
  4. awakebutnapping

awakebutnapping Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you could create pages locally on file:///C:/etc.html and then check them in your local explorer. You can create them in a folder on your computer and usually just double click them from the same folder to open them.

awakebutnapping, Dec 12, 2014 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You have my pity... No, seriously, you've gone and screwed yourself with that fat, bloated inaccessible train wreck of how NOT to build a website and how to completely screw the accessibility; a laugh since it is promoted as a responsive solution when said responsiveness is buggy broken crap. I really do pity nubed duped into using that steaming pile.

Since you have PHP directly accessing the files as other respondants have suggested WILL NOT WORK (duh)

What you can do is install a local testing server. The one I prefer is called XAMPP... which this pileOfCrap forums won't even allow me to link to because it tries to verify the URL -- and the verification is broken half-assed bull.
    www dot apachefriends dot org

deathshadow, Dec 12, 2014 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just FYI on why URL verification doesn't work with apachefriends.org... it looks like they have a bad configuration on their end that doesn't support a lot of things with their SSL cipher/handshakes they allow... IE 6, IE 8, Java 6, OpenSSL 0.9.8, etc.

On our case, it's the OpenSSL 0.9.8 one that they don't support. Will see about updating it on our servers, but it's usually such a hassle with so many other dependencies that it breaks (we are using SuSE Linux Enterprise 11.2). I'll see if it might be possible to update just PHP to 1.0.1 like I did with Nginx, but no promises. :)

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=apachefriends.org

digitalpoint, Dec 27, 2014 IP
  7. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'll need to install a virtual server like XAMPP to view your website offline if you're using PHP, as your browser won't be able to execute the PHP code. For complicated websites with MySQL backends or complicated link structures it may be more difficult to recreate the web server. You can always make changes live as well - just ensure you have a full backup of the site.

jamjar919, Jan 2, 2015 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just a follow up to the inability to post the URL... Updated some things on the server (was an annoying process with so many dependencies to resolve), but it should support HTTPS servers that don't support older clients.

Test: https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

digitalpoint, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  9. Pigeon Yoga

Pigeon Yoga Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try c9.io or nitrous.io for free development environments / temporary hosting.

Pigeon Yoga, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  10. K4rl

K4rl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Depending on the OS you're using, there are plenty of programs out there to let you run PHP, MySQL, Apache, etc.

For windows take a look at Wamp, for Mac OS take a look at MAMP. Both will allow you to run an environment on your local machine so that you can test everything prior to going live.

K4rl, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, does that mean it now supports the W3C's website if you link to a DTD? (that one's a laugh)

Hey look, no it doesn't... Seriously, just rip that idiocy out of it entirely... It's SO pointless and an utter and complete waste of code.

Like that new "Quote/Reply" garbage that makes it HARDER to cut/paste selected text. Just more scripttardery on a forums that was already too Joe blasted massive to begin with; I had JUST finished tossing together enough scripting blocks and polyfills to stop blocking the scripttardery here, only to have that crap added?

This "Xenforo" seems to be becoming a bigger pile of crap than vBull -- something that I wouldn't have thought possible.

deathshadow, Jan 4, 2015 IP