1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adding Header & Footer - SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Fix Johnson, Dec 7, 2014.

My site adds both header and footer using php. Is there any disadvantage as far as Search Engine Optimization goes? Is there anything I should be doing with header and footer to improve or help my SEO?

I did notice when using Tidy to check HTML that it combined both files. I could use Tidy to do this on all my pages if there was a possible improvement value in SEO.

I appreciate any guidance and thoughts on this topic.

Regards

Fix

Fix Johnson, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  2. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well.. I would use the Header (OR the footer) to have a good internal linking (for example to have a link back to the homepage from EVERY inner page. You can't use ANY of them for anything meaningful for SEO! ;)

patco, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  3. mdkreischer

mdkreischer Active Member

Best Answers:
    It can go either way. A footer is fine as long as your not doing anything stupid like anchor stuffing. But to use it for general knowledge or internal linking is good.

mdkreischer, Dec 10, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about using tidy, the white space is easily ignored but it makes the code more human readable when you need to edit it.

Using a header and footer script is very normal and the search engines can't detect that you've done it, all they see is the html that is sent out from the server.

sarahk, Dec 10, 2014 IP