1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to calculate how many people have died today?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by matafixer, Dec 7, 2014.

Hello! I have been trying to figure out how does this world population website "http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/" calculate births per day and deaths per day and how do they make it happen in real time?

Does anybody have an idea of what kind of formulas do they use?

matafixer, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  2. 000karim

000karim Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm nice website. I didnt even knew it exists
    thanks

000karim, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  3. matafixer

matafixer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, yes, but how does it work? :D

matafixer, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe have a look at the site itself? http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/#sources
    It's not REAL, in that it is accurate - it's a guesstimate, at best, based on abstraction of statistical data. (take a few year's worth of data, divide it into births and deaths by second, and display the counter based on that logic).

PoPSiCLe, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  5. mytechiestuff

mytechiestuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly!
    It is indeed a "Guesstimate" but then we are all prone to believing that official sounding statistics are always true!

Remember what john Lennon, quoting certain ancient Eastern scriptures said, "nothing is real".

Nothing is in fact real, but we love to accept the bullshit fed on to us all as reality in any case :)

mytechiestuff, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  6. matafixer

matafixer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for your reply! Even if it is a guesstimate, could you possibly help me to figure out how to make a timer like that? I need a counter for "How many deaths a day". maybe we could barter or something- I do graphic design.

Yeah, we need something to believe in. Otherwise living here on earth does not seem to make much sense unless you are an Eastern holy man who is bursting with ecstasy every moment of his life. Yay.

matafixer, Dec 11, 2014 IP