1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I buy this Domain?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by scott2342, Dec 2, 2014.

Hi Guys,

I've been after a domain name for a while and went to actually purchase it at one point until they told me that It had already been sold and they had not updated their system. Now I have a chance to buy it again.

So the domain name is to do with money and the name is similar to another website out their that is successful however it is different topics so its not copying or anything.

The point of this domain was that if I built it up and made it successful then it would be perfect to be brought out by a certain company. Not that it is the only reason but the domain itself is quite good but people may always relate it to the successful site its similar too name wise (could be good, could be bad)

It could get exposure from people thinking it's part of that website, not that anything would be copied.

I've thought for a long time for another name but anything I think of, because it has money in the title, it is always taken or they want ridiculous money for it. This one costs money however in terms of pricing for domains to do with money its reasonable.

Would you go for a domain that is similar to another website (different topics) or would you try and find a different name that wont't be related to anything else. Or would you get a similar domain in the hope that it could get successful off the back of the other site? (they might also purchase it) and also it is a good name anyway.

It's not so much I'm just making it to be brought. I've had this idea for a site for a long time and believe a lot of people would find it useful.

Plus what's your thoughts on domains names, Should it say what it does or be random. Such as this domain basically gives an idea of what its about or should it be a random name such as companies like amazon or ebay?

Even though in my mind that name is a good one, I'm thinking is it worth the money as if I went for another name for free I could build the whole site for what I would buy the name for.

What's your thoughts?? Is the domain name important as some people say its all about having the right name.

Thanks, Hope it makes sense.

scott2342, Dec 2, 2014 IP
  2. gentilly

gentilly Member

Best Answers:
    I think it all depends on what you want to do with the domain name. If your after a quick flip then yes a targeted keyword domain is more valuable to the end buyer.

However if i understand correctly you are trying to build up a website and possibly sell it down the line to a certain company. If it were me i would go with purchasing the domain that similar to the site you want to sell it to... if that is your goal.

Although if you create an awesome site and have a different domain, it may still appeal to them as it widens there online span while looking like another business.

It would also help if you could provide me with the domain name ;) hahaha.

Hope this helps you out in some way.

gentilly, Dec 3, 2014 IP
    scott2342 likes this.
  3. CYCchips

CYCchips Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is 2 thing you can expect getting right domain you wish
    1 target market
    2 or your can make a short unique domain (ex.google,yahoo,twiiter..etc) that last long
    so from these two option if you just working on niches its good to have target named domain
    and if you wish a domain that need to branded you should find unique name which is so hard these days but still lots of words out there,,hope make sense of my point!!;)

CYCchips, Dec 3, 2014 IP
    scott2342 likes this.
  4. alphaque

alphaque Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Beside the two tips that were mentioned by CYCchips, i would think you should try your best to get a .COM domain name because most people still assume that .COM is the only possible choice, it's the better option. Also don't choose a domain name based just on keywords in the URL, main keywords are not the key for high ranking in your domain name, although it is one of the factors. Think out a memorable, brand-related and available domain name, but don't get obsessed with it. And keep it short and simple if you can :)

alphaque, Dec 6, 2014 IP
    scott2342 likes this.
  5. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alphaque you are out of subject, domain name already exists, so your last points are pretty useless.

To OP, if you domain is really brandable as you say, then it's better to get some target traffic on it first, making a quick flip on a brandable domain name is loosing time and money. First of all, if you do get it, secure it for at least 5 years. Domain names that are 10/12 years old are really sought after and for quite good money.

IG2010, Dec 7, 2014 IP
    scott2342 likes this.
  6. Get Rich Methods

Get Rich Methods Peon

Best Answers:
    Without knowing the domain, it's hard to offer advice; but I can see why you obviously don't want to spill the beans.

I'm going to add to the suggestions up top with something else...

Consider resale value. I'm a domainer, domain flipper, website developer, among other things. Whenever I purchase a domain, I always consider the resale value, knowing that one day I'll want to sell up. I would learn (if you don't know already) how to value domains and then attempt to register one of value.

Tom

Get Rich Methods, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  7. scott2342

scott2342 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to everyone! I brought the domain in the end after considering your points. :)

scott2342, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  8. Hitesh B

Hitesh B Member

Best Answers:
    Since you haven't mentioned the Domain Name, it would be really difficult for me to comment whether this domain name would actually be of much value. However, if it's a short unique domain name whose title gives a fair idea about the website there would be nothing like it. At the end of the day it all depends with what you do with the domain. If it's marketed fittingly, it won't really matter if it is similar to another website.

Hitesh B, Dec 16, 2014 IP