1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate content "problem solving issue"!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Mxl, Nov 27, 2014.

If a website has duplicate content on it (could be that different websites use the same product information for equal products) and the amount of products is really high!

Can you make it unique again by not removing the duplicate content, but by adding own unique content to the existing one. If yes, is there somekind of ratio for it, like if you have duplicate content containing about 500 words ...should you add unique content of more than 500 words? Or a percentage of the 500 words? I'd like to know that!

Or is it better to use an alternative and not let Google index the pages with duplicate content, and creating new pages with unique content on it that link to the product pages with the duplicate content on it?

I'm looking forward to all you replies on this matter!

Kind regards,
    Mxl

Mxl, Nov 27, 2014 IP
  2. Coup Max

Coup Max Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you do not want to remove the old content then add new content in between the old one. And yes, add more thn 500 words. It will decrease the ratio of your copied content. But the best will be if you will remove the content or rewrite that content.

Coup Max, Nov 27, 2014 IP
  3. Siservices

Siservices Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggesst to write the whole new content for that. It will be more easier as writing more than 500 words will still make your content duplicate if the previous one was also present.

Siservices, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  4. maddy.n

maddy.n Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google particularly strict about content, in case copied content is around 10 to 20% that time will neglect, if it crossed more than that, might be website will penalize, as you said 500 new and 500 words duplicate content, we can say 50% duplicate and 50% original content, seriously you will struggle lot to get ranking, careful about content, if new algorithm completely about duplicate content,that time you will be in trouble. If content is duplicate, very difficult to compete with competitors.

I suggest you to write new, fresh and quality content, you will be safe in future(no need to worry about any new algorithm update).

maddy.n, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  5. Mxl

Mxl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's best to write new content of course, but i'm talking about datafeeds on a website here with a amount of more than 100.000 items. So to add new content there has to be more than 100.000 new titels and descriptions being made, and those items will also change a lot (old and new items in the database).

So, i could write new content for that which is a shitload of work and time consuming (probably not even worth it, otherwise i would do it) or i can gamble how Google is indexing my pages (which is maby not the best option) or i can just not index those pages but create new ones with unique content and links to the productpages!

Anybody an idea of which is the best option for this issue?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Mxl, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  6. Mxl

Mxl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Anybody an idea of which is the best option for this issue?

Mxl, Nov 29, 2014 IP
  7. greyheart

greyheart Peon

Best Answers:
    MXL, do you have some more info? What sort of products are you talking about? Is it something that 1000s of other people will be selling with the same product descriptions?

greyheart, Nov 29, 2014 IP
  8. Mxl

Mxl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, i'm not sure because i'm thinking that probably hundreds of sites maybe using it.
    But when i screened some random pages (about 5) of my website with products with copyscape.com they all come up with under 10 results of duplicate content!

Mxl, Nov 29, 2014 IP
  9. Mxl

Mxl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When using plagspotter.com it shows like 30 results per page from my website. On plagspotter it defines how much of your content is duplicate ...so it gives me a total of more then 30% but thats "overall", because if you take a look at how much is duplicate for each of the results with the most duplicate content on plagspotter.com it's about 6-7% (max) ...does this make a different? Or is it bad anyway?

Mxl, Nov 30, 2014 IP
  10. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Make it unique from other websites but still related on your targeted niche. People tend to like interesting and unique content.

KylieSweet, Nov 30, 2014 IP
  11. Mxl

Mxl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Kylie, for sure it's best to write new content. But we're talking about more than 100.000 new titels and descriptions (from datafeeds) ...and they also change a lot (old items that are not available anymore and new items in the database)

Is there a way to let Google index only parts of a page ...so what i mean is not block out pages but really show Google what to index for 1 page?

For example: A page contains a div with content, a header and a sidebar with content ...can you let Google only index the sidebar of that page?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    Mxl, Dec 1, 2014 IP