1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

99% of all search traffic from Google (how is this possible?)

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by domino66, Nov 20, 2014.

This seems very strange to me: nearly 99% of ALL my organic search traffic is coming from Google, with barely 1% coming from all other search engines combined. It's been this way for over a year, and I'm now trying to figure out what's going on.

Now I know Google is the runaway market share leader, but numbers so one-sided seem really fishy to me. And yes, Analytics is a Google product, but I can't imagine they'd lie outright about where search traffic is coming from.

Any ideas? Are these types of #'s typical? I just can't imagine how it's possible that it's THAT lopsided.SERPs, yet only 1 or two from all other search engines!??

Attached Files:

domino66, Nov 20, 2014 IP
  2. thenikhil

thenikhil Member

Best Answers:
    I do not think anything is fishy in this case. But yes you can always try and cross check using free web analytic available or just read you log file.

thenikhil, Nov 29, 2014 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well, let's ask a different question: do you ever use any other search engine than Google?
    Google is default search engine in Firefox, it's often used as a starting page in ie, and chrome, of course, uses Google. I don't really see why it would be wrong

PoPSiCLe, Nov 29, 2014 IP
  4. domino66

domino66 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No, I always use Google. But based on my research, it seems like they typically only account for 80-85% of incoming search traffic (for other websites.) 99% seems sky-high in comparison.

domino66, Dec 1, 2014 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Without knowing the content of your website, and your rank on the other search engines, it's impossible to know, but it's relatively safe to assume that the statistics are accurate.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 1, 2014 IP
  6. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My experience (since 2005) is that it is easier to initially rank high in Google, until Google kills your traffic by burying you in the SERPs beneath hundreds of irrelevant results.

Also my experience has been that it is harder to rank high in Yahoo (and now Yahoo and Bing since Bing generates Yahoo's results), but when you do rank you will stay there in about the same spot for a much longer period of time. (I got to #1 in Google for a couple of weeks, then watched the different data centers as Google buried it more than 500 results deep. That same site never got above #11 in Yahoo but it stayed on page 2 for years.)

When I was getting 9,000 - 10,000 visitors per month from Yahoo & Bing back in 2012 I was getting only 34 visitors per month from Google. Yes, only 34 from Google. I got more visitors from Ask than I did from Google. (Since that point my traffic from Yahoo & Bing has dropped sharply and my traffic from Google has risen a little bit, 100 - 200 per month).

So no, it does not seem odd that your referral traffic is lopsided in favor of Google if Yahoo/Bing is harder to rank high in.

Google's market share is estimated to be 65% - 70% of all search queries.

Firefox is switching the default search engine from Google to Yahoo this month.

I have been using Yahoo as my main search engine since 2004. From 2000 - 2004 I used Google. Before that was probably Excite or Netscape as my search engine. I switched to Yahoo as I found it produces better results (I am a heavy search engine user) and Google has a bad habit of ranking a site until it buries it in the SERPs. I can't tell you how many times I found a site in Google, failed to bookmark it, then was unable to find it again at a later date.

billzo, Dec 1, 2014 IP
  7. kingofthewiki

kingofthewiki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Could be that your target market use Google much more than Bing. Its usually the other way around in rankings, but why don't you run some ranking reports and find out for yourself?

kingofthewiki, Dec 21, 2014 IP
  8. Brain Technosys

Brain Technosys Member

Best Answers:
    As we all know that Google is the most result worthy and reliable search engine now days in people choice so we can consider this reason to have the maximum traffic you getting is from Google search engine.
    Targeting location is also a case to consider, like if you are targeting your website in USA or Asia region we can accept the results as mentioned above the Google search engine have the maximum ratio of usability in USA or Asia region.

And I do not think these states shown by Google Analytics are fake just because its a Google product. What you can do here is, you can check it with some other free or paid Analytics like Bing's Analytics or Stat Counter etc.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    Brain Technosys, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  9. Daniel.Thomas

Daniel.Thomas Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see anything strange. Even if Google has a market share of 80%, this is the general case. There are some countries where Google has much more than this and some with less.
    If you want to be sure the data is accurate, then use other web analytics tools as well

Daniel.Thomas, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  10. Bhupender Thakur

Bhupender Thakur Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes you should go with some other web Analytics like we have of Bing and Stat Counter etc...

Bhupender Thakur, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  11. Sam Marley

Sam Marley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It seems a bit unlikely as although Google dominates the search traffic but 99% is quite astonishing. Is your website on top of the 1st page for all your keywords? Drill down your website traffic in Webmaster Tools as well.

Sam Marley, Apr 8, 2015 IP