1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Interlinking my own sites on the same IP good or bad?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by John D, Nov 27, 2014.

I have a number os sites, most related to travel but a few are gambling.

I wanted to link each site through a text link - Would this effect rankings in a positive or negative way?

Solved! View solution.
    John D, Nov 27, 2014 IP
  2. Super Achiever

Super Achiever Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google said that IP addresses don't affect or matter in SEO but I don't really buy that. Leave no footprints as much as possible. If you're not doing this for SEO purposes, it may not hurt any way, especially if you're just posting one link per site and they're not spammy.

Interlinking can be suspected as building a link exchange network or private blog network, so Google takes these matters seriously. But if your linking is minimal, it may not matter much.

Super Achiever, Nov 27, 2014 IP
  3. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google will treat this approach as you are trying to manipulate the rankings. Let your interesting and engaging content do the move for you and Google will consider your site as hub of information to the targeted users.

KylieSweet, Nov 27, 2014 IP
    Yes, it will affect your rankings in a negative way, especially since there are and gambling sites involved.
    My recommendation - DO NOT DO IT! Even only between the travel related ones.

I also run several travel sites, with similar domains + a country name, which are like a company brand. Most are on dedicated IPs, still I do not interlink them, although some are quite for it (let's say cross-country skiing for example...). Still I pass on this.

If you however decide to interlink them, do not do it for SEO as this will yield only troubles on your head.
    You still should be fine if you use nofollow tag on these links, but at list do not mix them with the gambling ones...

abraxas, Nov 28, 2014 IP
    John D likes this.
  5. John D

John D Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies :)

Rankings isn't what I am looking for, I just wanted to link my sites.
    Posted in another thread, Ive been out of working online for quite a while so I have no idea how the rules have changed regarding SEO, linking etc. - Can anyone recommend something short and definitive to play catch up :)

John D, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  6. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to disagree with some of the others here, only with a caveat. I doubt that you would see any repercussions if you linked your sites where it makes sense to to do so. For example, I have a few web directory-related sites, including a directory of directories. But I also have sites about several North Dakota towns, a Bible study site, one on reactive attachment disorder, and several other sites. My directory sites are a network, not for SEO purposes but because it makes sense to refer my readers to my other sites on the same topic. In the same manner, my North Dakota sites are linked because there is a high likelihood that someone who has an interest in one small North Dakota town might be interested in another. Except for my directory of directories, which is a subdomain of my review site, my directory sites are on different IP's, but I make no secret of the fact that they are part of the same network.

What Google is looking for, when they issue warning about one thing or another, is that sites are linked naturally, so when it's natural to link, it makes sense to do so. It would quite another thing if I were trying to trick the search engines into thinking that three out of every four of my sites were casting a vote for the other, but it's clear that I'm not doing that. It might also be another thing if all for of my directory-related sites were directories, but only one of them is, the others being a forum, a review site, and a blog.

I think we put ourselves more at risk when we consciously take steps to effect how Google views our sites than if we simply build them for our users, linking when it makes sense to link, but neither doing or refusing to do something simply because of fear of what Google might think. Build rich content, build it for your readers, and the search engines will come along in their own time.

7. 1SEOcom

1SEOcom Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That my friend you are creating yourself a link wheel. This is considered a negative tactic in SEO. Stay away from it.

1SEOcom, Dec 11, 2014 IP